Used epi sg's

• Thread starter Johnnyrock
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Johnnyrock

Reaction score
Hey guys, just wondering if anyone has bought a used epi sg? I had a gibson sg back in the late 70's but the neck got broke and I had it repaired only to be dropped by a roadie which basically ruined it. Gibsons are kinda out of my price range now so epi's are better for me. I have an epi les Paul custom classic pro and love it and know that epiphone does make quality guitars. Anyway I was thinking of picking up use sg. I was looking on the GC website but some of the pics were so hard to tell the condition of the guitars and so I had to read the their opinion of the condition which ranges fro from good to excellent. Good being showing wear, great showing little wear, and excellent being in like new condition.
That said, I saw an sg 2017 1966 g400 on the website. Funny thing is while searching the epi website they don't show a 1966 g400 but do show. 1961 sg So is this a made up model or did epi make a 1966 g400.
The guitar looks great in the pics which for this guitar the pics were pretty clear. It was listed for $279
Wbat do you guys think? Should I consider making this purchase?

Raiyn

Reaction score
I've never bought a new guitar. That said, I've never bought a guitar I couldn't hold in my hands first. For me a guitar has to have a "spark" to it. I handled a bunch of G400's before I bought mine, and none of them had the feel.

As always, YMMV.

Davis Sharp

Reaction score
If you've played the G-400 and like it, then there shouldn't be a problem buying a used one from GC. They have a 30-day return policy, so you can drop it off at your local GC if you don't like it. Check their policy instead of taking my word for it.

I handled a bunch of G400's before I bought mine, and none of them had the feel.

Do you think it was the guitar or your state of mind at the moment (nothing negative or positive implied)?

BGood

Reaction score

Raiyn

Reaction score
Do you think it was the guitar or your state of mind at the moment (nothing negative or positive implied)?
If I'd gone with what I thought I wanted, I'd have bought a shiny Pro instead.

Handling the guitar that eventually became The Lady, there was just something that I, as a method of shorthand, call a "spark". She felt "right" and immediately started inspiring the mods to create the "voice" she would eventually have.

Same deal with Killer Frost. Who here hasn't handled a heap of Strats in various iterations? Until her, a Strat was completely off my radar.

I'll admit though, she was a bigger pain in the @$$ than The Lady. I went through three sets of pickups and a bunch of wiring schemes before she was happy.

Last edited:

epi 'sildo

Reaction score
can't go wrong with a g400. well...its personal opinion really...but if your going to like an sg you should like the 400. i have an 2004 model made in the dw factory (china). very nice neck. nicely bound...smooth. really good fret work. and lower output pickups. bridge is in the 8k range...neck is 7 and change.. its the only epi i have with cooler pups.

Mark

Reaction score
Hey guys, just wondering if anyone has bought a used epi sg? I had a gibson sg back in the late 70's but the neck got broke and I had it repaired only to be dropped by a roadie which basically ruined it. Gibsons are kinda out of my price range now so epi's are better for me. I have an epi les Paul custom classic pro and love it and know that epiphone does make quality guitars. Anyway I was thinking of picking up use sg. I was looking on the GC website but some of the pics were so hard to tell the condition of the guitars and so I had to read the their opinion of the condition which ranges fro from good to excellent. Good being showing wear, great showing little wear, and excellent being in like new condition.
That said, I saw an sg 2017 1966 g400 on the website. Funny thing is while searching the epi website they don't show a 1966 g400 but do show. 1961 sg So is this a made up model or did epi make a 1966 g400.
The guitar looks great in the pics which for this guitar the pics were pretty clear. It was listed for $279
Wbat do you guys think? Should I consider making this purchase?

Usually I'll call GC and gab with whomever for a minute. After they get a feel for your level of experience they'll spill the beans and tell you, "This one's beat to death, but we have another that's in great shape."

Blakk

Reaction score
I have s '04 Epi Special SG and had a '06 Epi G400 SG. I just sold the G400 after having it for 3 years. It was a wonderful guitar except it had terrible neck dive. If I was looking to buy a SG, I would want to play it before purchasing. I definitely would want it to have Klunson/Keystone style tuners not Grovers. Epi SGs come with both style tuners.

Brian16sg

Reaction score
FCE988C0-0F36-4084-917F-83D940039884.jpeg I picked up a used 2016 Sg Pro last year at Guitar center . I think it was around $249.00. This store rarely has them new in stock . They seem to come with all the bells and whistles.

Latest posts