very rough/dry fretboard

• Thread starter Supernotch
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Supernotch

Reaction score
I recently picked up a used Les Paul Studio LT in walnut. This is the guitar I first asked about in the classified section a couple weeks ago. It was actually in surprisingly good shape over all. It appears to be a 2021 according to the serial never, so it’s not especially old. It’s definitely a cheap guitar. But I wanted it for a project so I’m looking forward to getting it fixed up nice.

The only major problem area so far is the laurel fretboard. It’s possibly the driest and roughest fretboard I’ve ever seen. I used some fretboard oil to clean and lubricate it. But it’s still pretty rough. Not smooth at all. My Squiers have much smoother laurel fretboards in comparison.

So I’m just wandering what I can do to improve it. Or if it’s even worth doing. I know very little about fretboard maintainable sadly. So any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. :)

BlueSquirrel

Reaction score
If its surface is really rough, you could perhaps lightly touch it up with 10,000 grain sandpaper then oil it again (or you could try Montypresso wax), but you would have to be very careful in order to avoid removing any material.

Do you have any pics, by the way?

Last edited:

Supernotch

Reaction score
Do you feel it when you play ? If not and only bothers you visually, I'd let it go.
I was thinking this too. I guess my fingers don't really touch it during normal play. It might not be worth messing with it if I can just get it looking a little better.

Rough because the grain is raised, or because it has ruts in the open grain ?
It's just rough to the touch, as if it wasn't finished sanding. My laurel fretboard Telecasters feel silky smooth to the touch. This guitar not as much.

Last edited:

Supernotch

Reaction score
If its surface is really rough, you could perhaps lightly touch it up with 10,000 grain sandpaper then oil it again (or you could try Montypresso wax), but you would have to be very careful in order to avoid removing any material.
I guess I'm mostly worried about the inlays. Will they get scuffed up and look bad if I try to sand over them do you think? I mean, they look like cheap plastic and are pretty dull to begin with. But I certainly don't want to make it any worse lol.

Do you have any pics, by the way?
It's kinda hard to see in a picture to be honest. It's mostly a texture thing. Though, visually the fretboard looked pretty bad before I oiled it.

Here is a picture I took before I oiled it.

IMG_5462.jpg

And here is what it looks like after I oiled it.

IMG_5526.jpg

So it's a little smoother and darker now. I may try oiling it again to see if I can get it any darker though.

Last edited:

BGood

Reaction score
I guess I'm mostly worried about the inlays. Will they get scuffed up and look bad if I try to sand over them do you think? I mean, they look like cheap plastic and are pretty dull to begin with. But I certainly don't want to make it any worse lol.

It's kinda hard to see in a picture to be honest. It's mostly a texture thing. Though, visually the fretboard looked pretty bad before I oiled it.

View attachment 25376

View attachment 25377

So it's a little smoother and darker now. I may try oiling it again to see if I can get it any darker though.
No point saturating it with oil, won't change the color and might turn it gummy. Like suggested above, water sandpaper should make it smoother, I'd do it with 2000 grit.

soulman969

Staff Member
Reaction score
I'm in the same camp as others who suggest going at it with an abrasive to smooth it out. I have micro grit pads in various grits that I would use but sandpaper would work as well. I wouldn't worry about the inlays. They can be polished again if the sanding dulls them.

BlueSquirrel

Reaction score
You could probably protect the inlays with painter's tape.
I would honestly start with some super light sand paper such as 10,000 or 5000 grit.

Were it too low, you could always turn to a higher grit such as 2000.

Then I would use a wet rag to remove the dust. I would let the fretboard dry all night and once smoother and fully dried, I would lightly oil it again or use Montypresso wax to give a slightly darker color.

Supernotch

Reaction score
You could probably protect the inlays with painter's tape.
I would honestly start with some super light sand paper such as 10,000 or 5000 grit.

Were it too low, you could always turn to a higher grit such as 2000.

Then I would use a wet rag to remove the dust. I would let the fretboard dry all night and once smoother and fully dried, I would lightly oil it again or use Montypresso wax to give a slightly darker color.
I just watched a video about that Montypresso stuff and it looks like exactly what I’m looking for. I’ll order some right away. Thanks for the tip!

syco

Reaction score

View attachment 25376

View attachment 25377

Check your local auto parts store ..... they make "automotive " grade scotch brite pads that aren't as abrasive as sandpaper to buff out minor imperfections .

spupilup

Reaction score
I'll add to the clamor about Montypresso. I think the wax is better at improving the tactile quality of the neck rather than darkening it substantially. I did both my '59's and will say they wax enhanced the look of the grain but really was a hit when it came to the overall feel of the neck. I'll never be without Montypresso again. When you factor in how many guitars you can treat with a single can, it's too good to pass up.

Supernotch

Reaction score
Gotcha. I have a can of Zippo fluid on hand for cleaning purposes so I’m good on that front.

So give it a once over with some fine grit sand paper, clean it up with some naphtha, let it dry. Then apply the Montypresso.

Is that the right order? Should I wipe it with a water damp cloth after the lighter fluid to remove any residue?

spupilup

Reaction score
I just watched a video about that Montypresso stuff and it looks like exactly what I’m looking for. I’ll order some right away. Thanks for the tip!

I think Chicago Music Exchange has the best price in the US. Alternatively, you could always order directly from Monty's. Grab a set of amazing PAF's and one of their incredible harnesses and it won't even cost you anything for the shipping of the tin of wax! 😀

Supernotch

Reaction score
I think Chicago Music Exchange has the best price in the US. Alternatively, you could always order directly from Monty's. Grab a set of amazing PAF's and one of their incredible harnesses and it won't even cost you anything for the shipping of the tin of wax! 😀
Indeed, CME had the best price on Reverb so I bought it from there. :)

And I already have all the hardware, electronics, and pickups ready to install. But thanks for the suggestion!

3bolt79

Reaction score
I would use 1000, 1500, 2000, 2500, and 3000 sandpaper. It will make the job go quick. I board will be smooth to the touch. Clean up after with naptha, then oil. The inlays will be fine after the 3000. Don't over do it. Let the sandpaper do the work.

BlueSquirrel

Reaction score
Gotcha. I have a can of Zippo fluid on hand for cleaning purposes so I’m good on that front.

So give it a once over with some fine grit sand paper, clean it up with some naphtha, let it dry. Then apply the Montypresso.

Is that the right order? Should I wipe it with a water damp cloth after the lighter fluid to remove any residue?
As you want, II guess. But lighter fluid / naphtha is a cleaner.

Latest posts