what cables do you use?

• Thread starter Nduro
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Nduro

Reaction score
For years I have been using Fender custom tweed cables and Fender Jimi Voodoo 9m. Jack connectors in tweed cables died after an average of a year. I have several such shortened cables with new Jack connectors. However, I decided to change the brand

Today a package arrived with new Monster Rock cables 2x3.6m 2x6.4m and one Monster Classic 6.4m. I can't wait to connect my guitar and bass amplifiers. I'm counting on improved sound and less noise

Attachments

• IMG_20231010_161636_copy_1500x2000.jpg
    IMG_20231010_161636_copy_1500x2000.jpg
    548.2 KB · Views: 4

syco

Reaction score
I use the Musician's Gear cables . The "Generic " cables made by ???? offered through MF/GC . Never had a problem with the guitar , speaker or mic cables .

Equalphone

Reaction score
Those Fender cables have a reputation for not lasting. Look great but don't endure.

I have issues with Monster weaseling out of their alleged lifetime warranty. I won't buy their products.

Whirlwind cables are great and they are awesome in warranty coverage if you have an issue. But those massive plugs are inconvenient.

I've been using Hosa cables. Considered budget but the quality seems great to me and they've lasted for me and I've had no issues with them.

imnotcreative

Reaction score
i still have a Planet waves cable that's nearly 20 years old now and still works fine. One D'addario cable of which i had to cut some of the housing covering the jackplug because it kept popping out of the jack socket, other than that it works fine and a couple of Fender braided cables which were on sale and still work fine.

I had a couple of Monster cables for my Blu-ray player and HI-Fi but i got rid of those. The cables were too stiff, the hdmi cable lifted up my Blu-ray player in the back so i had to put something on top of it to keep it in place and the stiff Hi-Fi cables broke some of the input jacks on my amplifier and CD player. I will never buy Monster cables again.
It has all been replaced with Hitachi cables which seem to work perfectly fine for nearly 10 years now, the clearcoating has yellowed quite a bit over time but that's all

3bolt79

Reaction score
I have Providence, Divine Noise and Ernie Ball curlies, and a really thick, stiff Lava cable.

Raiyn

Reaction score
Monoprice, Kirlin "Premium Plus", Reverb (back when they sold house brand cables)
My favorite, is my GLS coily that I put a Pivot-All swivel plug on in place of the 90°

ruid774eef6e3d004d9cb3c275be68ba5fdf-jpg.19364

ruidcc5f4114eb3e4eb6ab7377ac2b010843-jpg.19365

The build quality is very good (Made in Japan) and they soldered up no problem.

I typically used the 90° end of my coily cable when playing - except when I wanted to play my Strat. For me, plugging a 90° into the stock Strat jack never sat right (literally and figuratively) and while I'd considered flipping the plate to be convex - this solves the problem.

I've had it installed about ten months now and it sounds like a regular plug. I use PureTone jacks, so I'd notice any new crackling, and there's nothing.

On inspection, there seems to be a spring loaded follower for the audio connection - it's very smooth in use with a •slight• detent at straight. Obviously, the machining is damn good as it would have to be for this to work at all.

Would I pay $150 for a 20ft Mogami with a pair of these in it? No.

I wouldn't even put two on a cable, because everything I plug into is angled towards me, but if I was plugging into the side of a pedal... maybe, but I'd probably just use a 90°.

However, it has made guitar swaps quicker with no degradation in sound quality and that's worth $20 to me. As a bonus, it's a conversation starter.

Last edited:

AJ6stringsting

Reaction score
Love the how to wind up a cord advise video .
After 45 years of playing , realized years ago that name brand or price tag doesn't equate to better sound quality .
I just use Planet Waves, Monster GFS and old 1980's Whirlwind cables .

EpiMike

Reaction score
I tried a set of wireless for my electric guitars, other than having to recharge them, I don't bother with cables anymore.
Compared wired to wireless, wire free wins hands down, great sound, and freedom of movement.

Raiyn

Reaction score
Ok, so we've got a couple wireless guys. That's cool.
Now, I've got to ask: Since you're doing wireless from the guitar, what do you do for effects?

My board is a four cable system setup, I could see going wireless from guitar to the board, but that's still three cables in play.

Darkness

Reaction score
I actually have a few Ernie and a few Fender. No real preference other than my Fenders are gold or tan and easier to find.

John Huff

Reaction score
For years I have been using Fender custom tweed cables and Fender Jimi Voodoo 9m. Jack connectors in tweed cables died after an average of a year. I have several such shortened cables with new Jack connectors. However, I decided to change the brand

Today a package arrived with new Monster Rock cables 2x3.6m 2x6.4m and one Monster Classic 6.4m. I can't wait to connect my guitar and bass amplifiers. I'm counting on improved sound and less noise
I use Switchcraft, expensive but bullet proof and super reliable.

mgenet

Reaction score
Have D'Addario/Planet Waves and Lava cables.

The D'Addario's claim a capacitance of 28pF/ft on their American Stage cables.

I read in several places that the one stat one to look at is the capacitance of the cable
in relation to the length and wire size is as important.

How much it matters is a matter for the experts to test and discuss.

I find that most cable makers don't publish their capacitance numbers, only length, construction,
wire gauge, etc. Either they don't think it is important or don't want you to know.

Here is a link to an interesting subject re: capacitance and resonant frequency.
Interesting read.

Guitar Cable Capcitance and Resonant Frequency

Last edited:

Latest posts