What did you do to your "Other" guitar today?

• Thread starter Raiyn
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

soulman969

Staff Member
Reaction score
Which other guitar.....or bass? Seems I'm always fiddling around with something. My last "fiddle" was working on the P90 pickup height on my Gold Top. They almost sound a bit I dunno.....thin?

Jean or anyone have you got a good starting point you use?

Stillsour

Reaction score
I installed one of those floyd rose tool holders onto my Jackson Warrior today. Also am hanging 3 Guitar wall mounts today to get guitars off stands.

Paruwi

Kraut-Rocker
Reaction score
Did some maintance (strings and fretboard oiling) on two of my Cheapos....

D4bfIkz.jpg

will do some more tomorrow...

BlueSquirrel

Reaction score
Changed the tuners' buttons on a guitar with a slight neck dive. They are made of plastic, they look imho cool, fit both Grover and Hipshot tuners and weigh just 1 gram each while the original metal buttons were 7 g each!

Therefore, that headstock is now 35 g /1.236 oz lighter ! (The original Grover buttons weighed 42 g together).

Of course it's not much, but I can feel the difference!

20240107_185134_copy_1734x2312.jpg

20240107_185204_copy_1734x2312.jpg

I would recommend this mod to people who own an SG or an Explorer. 😉
Btw I found them on eBay (look for "mini buttons for Grover").

Attachments

• 20240107_185204_copy_1734x2312.jpg
    20240107_185204_copy_1734x2312.jpg
    433 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

BlueSquirrel

Reaction score
Btw, the weight of a standard metal Hipshot button is the same as a metal Mini Grover button (7 g).

So, with a 1-g-plastic-mini-button, a Hipshot tuner with its bushing and nut weighs exactly 28 g (1ounce) - see pics below - which is imho really light for a quality tuner. Once again, it would be great for a SG. 😉

20240107_220632_copy_1734x2312_1.jpg

20240107_220659_copy_1734x2312.jpg

I should called that post "weight loss". :D What a clickbait title it would be! :rofl:

Last edited:

g0ldr4k3

Reaction score
I finally photographed my new creation, finished on 1st genuary but...you know... never had the time...

IMG_367.jpeg

She was a gibson ebony studio tribute. she has new tuners (tronical robot tuners...I am one that loves them!!), I sold the pcb and pickups and I bought a new pcb from a standard lp with all push/pull pots. She had 490s pickups now sdhe have a pair of gibson burst bucker pro. She feels, looks and play great for me!

Story is that I was at local gibson official reseller and I found this good guitar with a lot of finish marks. nobody wanted her. too picky, well good for me I found a treasure in disguise, because even in original state she was playing great. and I don't like very much 490s, especially the bridge.

so I asked for a deal, the store was kind enough to offer me a pizza and another project was in motion :D It tooks me 3 month to have the parts, to make all mods and refinish.

the most difficult part was the color. back is natural but with a stinger on the headstock to keep the serial and original color reference but the top was really a challenge. the final result is a handpainting with 2 different powders obtaining a very "in your face" pink that doesn't have justice in a photo...it changes it's power with light. looks better in a sunny day! the maple top is not figured, I found some sort of "wings" ....not an AAAAA figured top but is good and feels great. for an amateur job I really like it!
Nitro finish of course, feels lika a tribute with some more hands of finish. less than my other studio in original condition.

Last edited:

Mike Hickey

Reaction score
I have always been a big fan of 70s telecasters custom, so as soon as fender announced the new CuNiFe wide range humbucker, I bought a vintera tele custom and had my tech replace the neck humbucker and set it up.
Man, this guitar sings! I use it for clean tones, when I have to go dirty I pick my AV52.

EDIT I have also replaced the neck humbucker tone pot with the pickup switch, so now the guitar as two volume pots and a master tone.

I guess there's a big difference in Vintera wide range and the American one? I was wondering about that. In a fan of the Vintera line especially since they've upgraded them. Thought about pulling the trigger on the custom but wasn't sure about the humbucker. Doesn't feel right to have to upgrade the pickup on a $1200.00 guitar. How much better is the American wide range?

Mimmo

Reaction score
I have to say that it is better but there is not mich difference. The vintera pickups are actually quite good, the difference is there but I am not sure if the money difference is justified.

You hear a more defined tone, but it's not day and night. I have sold the guitar, the neck was too thin for me. Now I own a MIM 72 Telecaster thinline with the old "WRHB" and don't feel the need to change them.

Old Woody

Reaction score
I'm waiting for a reliced rosewood neck arrival from MJT to match the MJT body I used for my Strat type partscaster which currently sports a maple fretboard Fender player neck which is functional at best. In the meantime I have changed all my knobs and pickup covers to black from white. It has been almost 3 months of waiting for this neck so lesson learned on custom orders.

soulman969

Staff Member
Reaction score
Other than playing them not much really. I spent a week or two last month going through restringing as needed and other tweaks so all five of the non-Epi guitars have been "winterized" for our climate change.

My focus has been trying to wrap up the rest of my bass rig conversion which means selling my current 212 cab and the new Genzler Magellan head I acquired when I bought the MG350 Combo. Since I already had an MG350 head the brand new one is still in the box awaiting a buyer.

Raiyn

Reaction score
Btw, the weight of a standard metal Hipshot button is the same as a metal Mini Grover button (7 g).

So, with a 1-g-plastic-mini-button, a Hipshot tuner with its bushing and nut weighs exactly 28 g (1ounce) - see pics below - which is imho really light for a quality tuner. Once again, it would be great for a SG. 😉

View attachment 24227

View attachment 24228

I should called that post "weight loss". :D What a clickbait title it would be! :rofl:
They are.
hipshot-1-jpg.4386

hipshot-2-jpg.4387

RUIDfc01b6d107904bafab0df9b6a5f3b27b.jpg
I haven't looked for any plastic buttons lately. I don't recall any that I liked for this guitar at the time either.

White / green tulip is not an option.

Guitarman

Reaction score
Just purchased the Trifecta of Schecter Artist series electric guitars: Artist 1,2 & 3. These three guitars were $999.00 when new, I just bought all three, two on Reverb and one from Guitar Center for around$1400.00. I should have paid over $3000 for the quality, appointments, Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz and that Schecter neck/24 frets for pure lightning. C-1 Artist, Ebony with side/neck purfling in MOP, C-1 Artist II with Blood Red speckled finish and MOP side/neck purfling and C-1 Artist III, White with abalone trim all over like an ESP M-1000 or the EC-1000 Antique Amber, which I have. As usual, Dead Mint!!! The only way to buy!!!

2014 ESP LTD EC-1000 ANTIQUE AMBER RESIZE.jpg

SCHECTER ARTIST TRIFECTA RESIZE.jpg

Roger666

Reaction score
I got the wrong size tremolo bar stuck hopelessly in a Squier C.V. Mustang with Burns tri-sonic pickups and Out of Phase and Series/Parallel, ON and OFF switches on top of the pickguard instead of whatever those old switches used to do.
Anyway it's STUCK. I tried to attach a pic but the file was too large. I took the allen screw all the way out and it will turn around if I force it but no matter how hard I twist and pull it wont come out one tiny bit. Am I Missing something? Some hidden screw? I'm really quite impressed that something I had pushed (hard) in, will NOT be coming out. Nope. So, does anybody have any Ideas about how to pull the bar out? The bar is expedable i have just decided. Come to think of it, the bridge looks pretty inexpensive. Hmmm. I could make a toilet paper roll holder out of those pieces still stuck together that way.
Or maybe I'll try to freeze it. Make it smaller.
Stupid thing.
Any Ideas?

soulman969

Staff Member
Reaction score
Just purchased the Trifecta of Schecter Artist series electric guitars: Artist 1,2 & 3. These three guitars were $999.00 when new, I just bought all three, two on Reverb and one from Guitar Center for around$1400.00. I should have paid over $3000 for the quality, appointments, Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz and that Schecter neck/24 frets for pure lightning. C-1 Artist, Ebony with side/neck purfling in MOP, C-1 Artist II with Blood Red speckled finish and MOP side/neck purfling and C-1 Artist III, White with abalone trim all over like an ESP M-1000 or the EC-1000 Antique Amber, which I have. As usual, Dead Mint!!! The only way to buy!!!

View attachment 24567

View attachment 24565
Great looking trio and a very fair bargain to boot. Schecter's are such a great brand too. Congrats. :cheers:

Latest posts