What music do you play?

• Thread starter Darkness
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

AJ6stringsting

Reaction score
I’ll be serious.

I started to play guitar because of The Beatles. Then 70’s album rock.

Late night FM was such a treasure back then.

After that period it was just a few bright spots here and there I listened to.

If you ever get a chance, listen to Joni Mitchell playing live with the LA Express on an album called Miles of Aisles. Its one of my favorites.

Pat

I was a little kid then, I was very lucky our Dad and Mom tolerated the loud music.
I remember my older sister's crying over the Beatles break up, Jim Croces passing, Pete Ham's death .
They exposed me to the greatest music from the 60's and 70's, I had to pickup the guitar .... it was enviable because of the exposure to music .

Radio would play Hendrix deep cuts like Dolly Dagger, Bad Finger, Led Zeppelin, Cream. Captain Beefheart, E,L,P , Alice Cooper, Journey, Black Sabbath and they even had local talent, plus new releases.
They sure had musical freedom then, today it seems like 4 people control what is heard on the radio or any media platform.

That's why I think not many people are into the newer music of today, they don't have the musical depth or complexity of the music made from 1964 to 1993.
A few days ago, I listened to a Gordon Lightfoot song , The " Edmund Fitzgerald "on headphones, the layering and depth of the music was very rich and full of sonic " Easter Eggs " to find and discover.
Those simpler songs were very complex in their Sonic design.
I miss well written and well played music.

Last edited:

Raiyn

Reaction score
A few days ago, I listened to a Gordon Lightfoot song , The " Edmund Fitzgerald "on headphones,
As with many a person from the Arrowhead of Minnesota, it's a given I'll hear the song at least once a year in early November. Hard to believe in 2025 it'll be 50 years.

The Arthur M Anderson giving a Master Salute (three long blasts followed by two short) in memory of the Edmund Fitzgerald the night of November 10th 2020 as it arrived in Duluth during a snowstorm. The Anderson was following the Edmund Fitzgerald 45 years earlier during a blinding snowstorm and was the last boat to make contact with the Fitz before it sank with all 29 crew. (May they rest in peace.)

ping ping

Reaction score
I haven't seen a thread on this, my apologies if one exists. I see that a lot of members here are very particular about their tone and setups, so it made me curious. What kind of music do you play?

Are there certain bands you cover? Do you write and play original music? Bonus "likes" if you post some performance.

I'm a complete noob, I have been learning basic Rolling Stones, Beatles, and other easy classic rock songs. I'd like to start learning songs from The Growlers and Allah-las. I like the surf rock sounds.
I play all two chord songs the modulate between G and C or D and G. you can do a lot with two two chords. Lou Reed said "You can do a lot with three chords."
But that seems like a lot to remember when you're dyslexic.

Latest posts