Whats better Epi custom pro or the Standard plustop pro

• Thread starter kustombob
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JeffMcLeod

Reaction score
On that same note, neck profiles vary wildly and that affects your playability.

All other things aside; there's just something about a Gibson neck...

I mean, when you pick that machine up, it just falls right into your hand. With a good setup, it practically plays itself.

Raiyn

Reaction score
I’ve never known a Gibby guy to lose his crap from changing electronics, except on original vintage models. If that were the case, all of the historic owners would flame every post with refinishes and pickup swaps.
Who are you kidding? I caught a month off from MLP for telling off some corksniffer who was busting a n00b's huevos over some shielding.

"They didn't have it in '59, you don't need it now."

They're all about "originality" and "case candy" on modern axes but somehow they're also the folks swapping out circuit boards and stuff. Where do you think I became so militant against "Magic Tone Beans"?

Davis Sharp

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I am still debating on the Epi custom pro which would be about $700 with a case. Or i found a Gibson Tribute 2019 gold top for just over a $1000. Plus it comes with a case. MAN WHAT TO DO.

Another vote for trying them first. If you do buy the Epi, you'll have $400 for pedals or a nice amp.

Shadow Explorer

Reaction score
Who really cares about what half-crazed ppl think..? I'm also sick about ppl who want to sound vintage...
a,) We don't live in the fucking 50s.
b) I bet they still havent figured out that pots can change your tone, amp settings as well... (I'm using EMGs for low gain ffs, and they sound brilliant!!!):dude:
c) Most of them can't be bothered to play, they can't, so all those parts are meant to substitute talent. (and yes I'm a shitty player, but at least I'm trying... because I know that the most important part of the instrument, are the hands...)

Last edited:

Raiyn

Reaction score
No idea, but to be honest I'm getting sick of hearing about it every other day throughout various threads. We get it. It'd be impossible not to at this point.
+1. It’s getting downright annoying.
Umm wow, OK..... is everyone just getting chafed by minor stuff today? I haven't even turned on the news yet and I just got here today....so I'm not going to come in spitting fire.

I was just trying to have some fun with the "MTB" phrase as a kind of somewhat sarcastically funny short hand. Sure, I've said it for quite some time and normally to new people who think they have to spend an arm and a leg to mod / improve an axe to get them to think a little.
It ain't the construction, it's the actual capacitance value. That's all I've been saying. You wanna spend money on paper in snake oil, so be it, but don't expect to suddenly play like Roy Clark's secret love child with Orianthi.
Who really cares about what half-crazed ppl think..?
Et tú Shadow? Also, you're talking about the internet here, the vast majority of people think everyone else is nuts.:cheers:
I'm also sick about ppl who want to sound vintage...
a,) We don't live in the fucking 50s.
b) I bet they still havent figured out that pots can change your tone, amp settings as well... (I'm using EMGs for low gain ffs, and they sound brilliant!!!):dude:
c) Most of them can't be bothered to play, they can't, so all those parts are meant to substitute talent. (and yes I'm a shitty player, but at least I'm trying... because I know that the most important part of the instrument, are the hands...)
The rest of this I agree with completely.
Tone isn't a capacitor, that signal gets dumped to ground - you never hear it, so why worry about what cap you have? Most of the time the "heros" just used whatever was available. They didn't give two squirts about stuff like cloth covered wire either. You could literally wire a guitar with lamp cord and nobody would know the difference. I know this because I've done it to prove the point.
On the other hand, if you're doing a sympathetic restoration to a truly vintage guitar (even like a Norlin since some poo-poo them) then sure, use stuff that matches up with what you have in there (or whatever was OEM). I think buying date-coded pots might be a step too far because it's not truly original at that point, but it's not like I'd buy something that would conceivably "need" such a thing.

Back to fun stuff: I imagine the EMG's add a nice bit of compression to a cleaner tone, and I'd like to hear your thoughts on the matter. I don't have an EMG equipped guitar so I have no pre-existing opinions other than mainly seeing them in Metal settings.

Last edited:

Shadow Explorer

Reaction score
Et tú Shadow? Also, you're talking about the internet here, the vast majority of people think everyone else is nuts.:cheers:

The rest of this I agree with completely.
Tone isn't a capacitor, that signal gets dumped to ground - you never hear it, so why worry about what cap you have? Most of the time the "heros" just used whatever was available. They didn't give two squirts about stuff like cloth covered wire either. You could literally wire a guitar with lamp cord and nobody would know the difference. I know this because I've done it to prove the point.
On the other hand, if you're doing a sympathetic restoration to a truly vintage guitar (even like a Norlin since some poo-poo them) then sure, use stuff that matches up with what you have in there (or whatever was OEM). I think buying date-coded pots might be a step too far because it's not truly original at that point, but it's not like I'd buy something that would conceivably "need" such a thing.

Back to fun stuff: I imagine the EMG's add a nice bit of compression to a cleaner tone, and I'd like to hear your thoughts on the matter. I don't have an EMG equipped guitar so I have no pre-existing opinions other than mainly seeing them in Metal settings.

Extraordinary claims that are backed by "magic" because the shaman of the tribe said so... Ok technically it's brainwashing, but the result is the same.
I don't mind period correct, but for the sake of being just that.

Now on EMGs... 57\66 set is unlike 81\85. I cannot detect compression, if there is, it's not noticeable enough to me, when I AB them with the JB 59 set, the latter sounds anemic, but the sound is similar. They certainly don't sound "sterile" like 81\85.

Lately I play with less gain, or a combination of high\low, I'm learning some MJ\slash tunes...
I've never before used my pots so much. And I can get a very wide spectrum of sounds.
They have Alnico mags with ceramic poles, Imagine what would happen if duncans and gibson ceramics had babies...

I was after a LP that sounds similar to my (gone now) explorer, so just by chance, I nailed it!!!
I initially bought them for their cool brushed covers and ordered another set for the new guitar.
When you get the chance, try them.

here's a cool clip of someone who does it right!:

Last edited:

King B

Reaction score
Welcome Aboard KustomBob. I had been hoping for a Silverburst Custom. Solely based on looks because I haven't had or played one yet. Santa left me hangn! But hey! Thanks for stirring the soup when you came in. Or did you turn up the heat?

Raiyn

Reaction score
Extraordinary claims that are backed by "magic" because the shaman of the tribe said so... Ok technically it's brainwashing, but the result is the same.
Well said. :cheers:

I don't mind period correct, but for the sake of being just that.
Yeah, but what period? Are we talking about a guitar that was built 10 years ago or 60? If it's a 60 year old unmolested survivor then maybe pop for vintage stuff, but don't claim it's all original. If it's been worked over more times than a street corner floozie then perhaps new "old" stuff makes sense. But insisting that your newish axe needs push back wire and a 50 year old radio capacitors.....for "mojo" or "tone" or some sort of bragging rights. I'm not sold on that.
Now on EMGs... 57\66 set is unlike 81\85. I cannot detect compression, if there is, it's not noticeable enough to me, when I AB them with the JB 59 set, the latter sounds anemic, but the sound is similar. They certainly don't sound "sterile" like 81\85.
Interesting, I'm been more indoctrinated into the 81/85 sound due to 80's Metal.

Lately I play with less gain, or a combination of high\low, I'm learning some MJ\slash tunes...
I've never before used my pots so much. And I can get a very wide spectrum of sounds.
They have Alnico mags with ceramic poles, Imagine what would happen if duncans and gibson ceramics had babies...
Hmm, I'd been thinking about stepping out of my comfort zone and going either the Fishman Fluance or Lace Alumitone route. Now you've put EMG's on the radar...

Shadow Explorer

Reaction score
Yeah, but what period? Are we talking about a guitar that was built 10 years ago or 60? If it's a 60 year old unmolested survivor then maybe pop for vintage stuff, but don't claim it's all original. If it's been worked over more times than a street corner floozie then perhaps new "old" stuff makes sense. But insisting that your newish axe needs push back wire and a 50 year old radio capacitors.....for "mojo" or "tone" or some sort of bragging rights. I'm not sold on that.

No I mean it makes sense to try and restore a guitar to original specs. New ones idk,

Bragging to who? Other forum members?
Usually those things cannot be seen.
Dunno, I can admire someone's will and patience to get something expensive, I've been there, and I still kind of sort of am...

From a build perspective, definitely interesting, but bragging... It's not that I haven't seen it, but it's stupid.

Interesting, I'm been more indoctrinated into the 81/85 sound due to 80's Metal.
Got to know Emgs from melodic death metal bands. The first Set I ever used was this one, on the Epi which came loaded with them.
I didn't like the cleans. They felt too saturated idk how to express it with words.

Hmm, I'd been thinking about stepping out of my comfort zone and going either the Fishman Fluance or Lace Alumitone route. Now you've put EMG's on the radar...
No idea about lace pups, Fluence could be nice, nice to try things out, at the very least you can form a first hand opinion.

Raiyn

Reaction score
No I mean it makes sense to try and restore a guitar to original specs. New ones idk,
We're largely in agreement then.
Bragging to who? Other forum members?
Usually those things cannot be seen.
Well, yeah. People do build posts all the time to show off their stuff. We've all done it to a degree.
Dunno, I can admire someone's will and patience to get something expensive,
Not really where I was going. There are some folks with more money than either of those attributes who think that you can simply buy "tone".
I work on a rather strict budget (basically my old cigarette budget) and therefore I want to get the most for my money. I don't have time or money to give for "mojo" that won't give me Jimmy Van Slashypants talent or fingers. I'd rather chase my own sound, even if that leaves me playing (badly) for SWMBO while the cats hide. :cheers:

No idea about lace pups, Fluence could be nice, nice to try things out, at the very least you can form a first hand opinion.
True, that's largely what happened when I went with Carvin pickups rather than the "safe" choices for a SG like Gibby, DiMarzio, or Seymour Duncan.

Shadow Explorer

Reaction score
We all show our suff, I think it's mostly for the joy of getting something new and sharing it with people who can appreciate it.

I don't get the "When I was at your age, I was younger".

"You plebs my new guitar costs 6127845$, All the woods were cut from the enchanted forest in Africa, I personally flew the company's Luthiers and had them meet the council of the shamans, to choose the right stuff".

"Jimmy van Roth signed my guitar, luckily before he did, he scratched his balls, oh the mooojooooo.. "

"What do you mean, they all are made with cnc:wow:?"

And it goes on and on.... :fingersx:

Raiyn

Reaction score
We all show our suff, I think it's mostly for the joy of getting something new and sharing it with people who can appreciate it.

I don't get the "When I was at your age, I was younger".

"You plebs my new guitar costs 6127845$, All the woods were cut from the enchanted forest in Africa, I personally flew the company's Luthiers and had them meet the council of the shamans, to choose the right stuff".

"Jimmy van Roth signed my guitar, luckily before he did, he scratched his balls, oh the mooojooooo.. "

"What do you mean, they all are made with cnc:wow:?"

And it goes on and on.... :fingersx:
Exactly!

You have your fancy wood and hand crafting while I'll build harnesses with extra options for the fun of it. I'd love to wire one of your axes.

I don't think either of us (or anyone besides the mime) is trying to rub anything in anyone's face, however, I've experienced the snobbery first hand elsewhere.

Shadow Explorer

Reaction score
Idk I've seen such ppl as well, and you know what, it keeps me from posting some times.
Why would anyone care what kind of parts I got, when I cannot even comment on their properies yet... I don't want to be that look what I got guy...

Raiyn

Reaction score
Idk I've seen such ppl as well, and you know what, it keeps me from posting some times.
Why would anyone care what kind of parts I got, when I cannot even comment on their properies yet... I don't want to be that look what I got guy...
Something like a set of pickups, sure. Those will have an effect on tone, but to make a big deal out of some "vintage" wire and some capacitors? Naaa.

Latest posts