What's the point?

• Thread starter El cheapo
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

El cheapo

Reaction score
I'd love to start wiring my guitar but I'm STILL waiting for the stupid lacquer to dry so I can polish it out! Friday will be a month but it still smells like paint. Guess I'll wait a little longer.:mad:

Stevo58

Reaction score
Well, I get it. I’ve been playing Teles for 40 years and 4 knobs drive me crazy. Especially in the middle position. They should be buffered. A Tele is so much simpler. When I want to change the volume, I just reach down and turn the only knob there. If I’m in the middle position I don’t have to wank around turning two knobs at once.

El cheapo

Reaction score
Very cool. :thumbs:
The bridge tone mod is standard fare for Strats I rewire.

I like to use a .033uf cap for the bridge since the bridge in a normal Strat wiring setup doesn't run through a tone pot at all so rather than use a .047uF like the Neck & Middle I go for one that doesn't darken it up as much at the minimum setting. It's supposed to be brighter so I give it a sweep that I feel will allow for more in the brighter range without going too dark.

As for my personal Strat Killer Frost, I went a little more in depth. I went with .033uF caps on both tones and it worked out nicely with the Carvin p'ups.
killer-wiring-jpg.5854

I tried a dozen different schemes (three sets of pickups, etc.) before landing on this setup and this is the one.

Nice! I like blue guitars too...

full

Brian Krashpad

Reaction score
Ummm real time flexibility from a stage.

Do you ever gig with a band?

^Yup, this.

Typically I set the neck pickup a little lower and use it for rhythm, sometimes with the tone also rolled off very slightly, with the bridge louder for leads. I don't use pedals by and large, so that keeps me from having to reset on the fly like I might, with a Telecaster.

RG31

Reaction score
You get so many different sounds from those additional knobs, or what Joe Bonamassa terms, "the forgotten knobs"

El cheapo

Reaction score
Got the guitar all put together and wired up according to the video I watched on you tube. Nothing! After checking every connection several times and getting no sound whatsoever I yanked the push pull pot and put a regular pot in there with 50's wiring. The guitar madness pups sound great! No idea why the coil split wiring didn't work. Push pull pot was brand new 500k from Allparts and I followed the diagram exactly. Anyway, right now I'm enjoying playing my guitar. Maybe at some point I'll try to get the coil splits working. Only other thing I'll do is replace the bridge. Original is a little banged up, but the Guitarfetish part is still on backorder. :rolleyes: Hope I can get it before the new year. I'll try to get some pics of the new look up soon!

Sonny Wolf

Reaction score
Sometimes on a Gibson/Epi guitar with that layout I'll set the switch to the middle position and roll off the neck pickup volume a tad to give dominance to the bridge pickup...it sounds like a slightly fatter bridge pickup sound with a bit of the phasey characteristic you get in the middle position.Eric Clapton uses that sound sometimes.

Raiyn

Reaction score
Sometimes on a Gibson/Epi guitar with that layout I'll set the switch to the middle position and roll off the neck pickup volume a tad to give dominance to the bridge pickup...it sounds like a slightly fatter bridge pickup sound with a bit of the phasey characteristic you get in the middle position.Eric Clapton uses that sound sometimes.
Oh? You rewire them for independent volume control?

Sonny Wolf

Reaction score
Oh? You rewire them for independent volume control?

No.A basic Les Paul,SG,335 ect with 2 pickups are all wired where if you set the pickup selector switch in the middle position the volume knobs of each pickup are active because both pickups are on.So you can blend out one pickup's volume slightly to give more dominance to the other one.In the example I stated I leave the bridge pickup on 10 and maybe set the neck pickup volume to 7 or 8.The resulting sound is similar to the bridge pickup alone but a bit fatter and slightly phasier due to both pickups being activated.You can do the opposite by leaving the neck pickup full on and dial back a bit of the bridge volume to get a slightly brighter tone than the neck pickup alone.

Raiyn

Reaction score
No.A basic Les Paul,SG,335 ect with 2 pickups are all wired where if you set the pickup selector switch in the middle position the volume knobs of each pickup are active because both pickups are on.So you can blend out one pickup's volume slightly to give more dominance to the other one.In the example I stated I leave the bridge pickup on 10 and maybe set the neck pickup volume to 7 or 8.The resulting sound is similar to the bridge pickup alone but a bit fatter and slightly phasier due to both pickups being activated.You can do the opposite by leaving the neck pickup full on and dial back a bit of the bridge volume to get a slightly brighter tone than the neck pickup alone.
Interesting.
Except that they aren't normally wired that way from the factory.
You would have to switch the pickup and switch leads on the volume pot to accomplish independent volume control. Normal wiring sets whichever volume pot is at the lower setting as the max volume while also turning either into a "master" volume meaning that if you drop one of them to zero the guitar goes silent.
wiringModern.jpg

wiringModernInd.jpg

Works the same on 50's wiring too.
wiring50s.jpg

wiring50sInd.jpg

I should note that the ground connections to the tone pots are missing in each diagram.
For example:
50s-1959big.jpg

Last edited:

epi 'sildo

Reaction score
i get it too. i have a dot studio that's become a favorite. love the simplicity.IMG_0025.jpg IMG_0025.jpg IMG_0025.jpg

Latest posts