What's your favorite epi guitar/amp combination?

• Thread starter BlankinLoud
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BlankinLoud

Reaction score
For me it changes depending on my mood.

At the moment I'm having a blast playing my Swingster through my Vox Lil NightTrain. This amp and this guitar seem made for each other. :D

This is a great setup for working on my technique. The chiming bell-like cleans make even the slightest mistake stand out so it's a lot easier for me to isolate what I'm doing wrong

If I feel like cutting loose, I just switch the bridge pickup to series, add a little boost and I'm in twang heaven.

IGRocker

Reaction score
I usually run my LP custom through my floor rig on a Vox AC30 simulator or a early Marshall plexi style sim depending on my mood. Don't get me started on the FX I sometimes throw into the mix too... :D

Last edited:

RTH

Reaction score
I only have two guitar amps and dont really plan on getting any more. I like the '61 SG Special P90 with my Fender Princeton Chorus. It sounds really nice through that one. Not so much through the Mustang II. Pretty much anything sounds good through the Princeton though, IMO. Most of my playing is with my Epiphone S-500 Super Strat though the Mustang II. Lots o' fun playing with the effects.

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
My favorite rig is a toss-up between my slightly modded '07 Elitist Plus and my '56GT, into my Bugera V22 in pentode mode. My FX chain consists of a Danelectro Cool-Cat trem, EHX Soul Food, T-Rex Alberta, and Boss CE-2. Occasionally, I'll also run a B.K. Butler rackmount Blue Tube prototype I've had for years. Oh, and if I need to keep things quiet, I'll use a Vick Audio Tube Tamer attenuator.

BigMike55

Reaction score
I really like my 56GT thru my little Fender Blues Junior. Sometimes I throw my GFS Brownie pedal in the mix for some crunch and fuzz. Instant tone monster. Also like the combination of my new Bonamassa PBLP and the Marshall DSL40C. That sounds really good.

Reaction score
My favorite rig is a toss-up between my slightly modded '07 Elitist Plus and my '56GT, into my Bugera V22 in pentode mode. My FX chain consists of a Danelectro Cool-Cat trem, EHX Soul Food, T-Rex Alberta, and Boss CE-2. Occasionally, I'll also run a B.K. Butler rackmount Blue Tube prototype I've had for years. Oh, and if I need to keep things quiet, I'll use a Vick Audio Tube Tamer attenuator.
We've got a pretty similar rig. Epi LP into an EHX Soul Food and then into a Bugera V22 on Pentode. I've got a few other pedals, but that tends to be my go to rig setup. :D

Reaction score
I really like the Soul Food. I'll probably wind up selling the Alberta and a Big Muff that's sitting in the closet!
I love cranking the clean channel volume on the Bugera and then running the Soul Food into it with the volume high and the gain at about 9 o'clock. Perfect tube overdrive, even if it is pre-amp overdrive. :D

Philip Greene

Reaction score
The sound and tone of the Black Beauty 3 (Burstbuckers 1&2 in neck and middle, 57 Classic in bridge) sounds divine on the drive channel of the Hot Rod Deluxe with the Drive on 6 and the MV (audio taper pot installed) on 4. No pedals...just a pinch of Reverb and Presence on 4. ALL DAY LONG GUYS!!!

JohnnyN

Reaction score
I play mine through my Laney VC15 into a 1x12 loaded with a Celestion G12H Annivesary.
Between the amp and cab I have a Palmer PDI09 passive DI and a Palmer PDI06 attenuator.
The pedalboard is, TC Polytuner, T-Rx Comp Nova, T-Rex MudHoney, T-Rex Tremster, and TC FlashBack.
I'm adding a TC Spark Boost soon.

I have a Mustang I v1 and downloaded a Deluxe Reverb model that I like. No pedalboard in front of that.

I am looking at the options to get another tube amp. I'd like a 6V6 powered, but there are some good EL84 in the 18 - 22w range too.

Dale

Reaction score
Traynor ygl3 Mark 3 or Traynor ygl1. Traynor amps; little known gems from Canada

cybermgk

Reaction score
My '56 GT through my Peavey Micro Head for Clean
My G400 Pro with SD WLHs through my Rivera or Marshall DSL15h (depending on day and mood) for Dirt,
My Ultra III LP through my Fishman Loudbox for Acoustic fun

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Traynor ygl3 Mark 3 or Traynor ygl1. Traynor amps; little known gems from Canada
I remember Traynors were very popular in my area of the US in the late '60s & early '70s, then suddenly they dropped off the radar. They made a kickass bass head!

bloc

Reaction score
Traynor kicks so much ass it's unbelievable they're not used much. My last amp was a Traynor YGL-2 which was their take on Vox AC30 I'm assuming and it just killed. Build quality, sound, everything! Took pedals so well too.

Marc1kim

Reaction score
My Marshall stacks are long gone, but I get my Marshall fix playing my les Pauls through my Hughes & Kettner Edition Tube. Last week I bought a Slash SL5. I'm awaiting an order of fresh tubes before I fully asses the SL5.
I've also been known to jam on my daughter's Peavey Vypyr. I really like the Marshall settings especially the Plexi one.

buddhuu

Reaction score
G400 WB into my RAT Tube-20R. It's not the best for the soul stuff we play - my Strat is better for that, less "middy" - but for blues and rock it has just the right amount and flavour of overdrive. A glorious sound. :)

Walt_T

Reaction score
My absolute favorite is my modded '73 Princeton Reverb-phase inverter tweak, new birch aircraft plywood baffle, and a Celestion Vintage 30.
Next is my Allen Old Flame-a single channel no trem take on a Super Reverb. The 4-10 setup is just amazing, and it has what is called a raw control that brings gain back in the tone stack and gets pretty cruchy. The clean tone is unsurpassed.
And then my Peavey Delda Blues 1-15 delivers the goods that the Classic series are known for.
All great amps, a different flavor to each-all great.

DavidRamey

Reaction score
My Epiphone Les Paul Tribute Plus going through my 5F1 Tweed Champ. Even my Epiphone Hummingbird Pro sounds good through the Tweed Champ.

Latest posts