Which Electric guitar is good for a beginner

• Thread starter veerabhadra
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

3bolt79

Reaction score
What’s your budget? The Epiphone Les Paul Classic Worn is just $449.00 new, and places like AMS and Zzounds do 12 month interest free payment plans.

The pickups sound great. And, I bought a pair for my son and I. He’s getting his for XMAS.

The worn finish means we don’t have to baby them. Great guitars for so little money.

veerabhadra

Reaction score
@3bolt79 sorry i almost forgot about this post man, I'm located in India and I'm thinking about my budget under $250 cause I don't wanna spend much as I'm just a beginner

veerabhadra

Reaction score
Can't go wrong with the Special II (the Vintage Edition). I only changed the strings and cut a new bone nut to have a keeper! Then I bought another one to mod 😉 . There's a lot of used bargains out there!🙀
But special ll is not available in my region that's why I'm considering between les Paul special satin E1 and Epiphone les Paul special Vintage edition

Darkness

Reaction score
I grabbed this on sale for $149 and after a few adjustments it needs no upgrades really. Alpha pots with weird tiny caps but they work well. Plastic nut but its cut well, holds tune, and the guitar sustains long enough to sip my coffee and come back to it. Tuners are the one kind I dislike but they work this time.

Gifting it to my God-daughter as her first guitar.

Aside from the body it is just like a Special Les Paul. To be honest the Les Paul is way better balanced for playing while sitting.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231211-221550_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20231211-221550_Gallery.jpg
    719.7 KB · Views: 3

veerabhadra

Reaction score
I long to become good enough that it makes any difference. They are all good. The thing about learning on an electric is that they are relatively quiet so you don't annoy the neighbors, family, cat.
Another thought for you is that you is that if budget is a consideration, you don't NEED an amp yet. Spend your cash on the best instrument for play-ability.
When you get to the point that you want to be heard there are plenty of good used amps out there.
Good luck on your journey.
Thanks, me too planning on getting a better amp later

veerabhadra

Reaction score
Edit
Just had a look at the current Cort CR-100. It seems to have better hardware (nicer tuners) and a fancier top.

If I were you, I would ask how much the Cort weighs, and I would tryvto find one to play. if it is not too much and its neck feels nice, I would probably get it.

However if it's an older version, you might end up with the same hardware as the Epiphone's, so not really an improvement.
Then I should go for epiphone les Paul special right cause cort cr100 seems old, but if cort CR100 is better than epiphone les Paul special satin E1 I'd go for it

veerabhadra

Reaction score
Edit
Just had a look at the current Cort CR-100. It seems to have better hardware (nicer tuners) and a fancier top.

If I were you, I would ask how much the Cort weighs, and I would tryvto find one to play. if it is not too much and its neck feels nice, I would probably get it.

However if it's an older version, you might end up with the same hardware as the Epiphone's, so not really an improvement.
Then I should go for epiphone les Paul special right cause cort cr100 seems old, but if cort CR100 is better than epiphone les Paul special satin E1 I'd go for
You're right but it's not just about low action, it is also about what kind of music one listens to the most and wants to play the most.
I started on a classical guitar I was given and realised quickly that apart from a couple of highly technical pieces unsuitable for a beginner, there was nothing I wanted to learn to play on it. Then I got a folk acoustic guitar and it was a bit better - there were about 20 songs that I wanted to learn on it.
Eventually I bought an electric guitar with an amp and suddenly there were thousands of songs that I felt like learning.

If veerabhadra is like me, then an Epi Les Paul Specizl will suit him/her better. Both the satin E1 and the vintage edition are nice guitars.
I don't know the Cori like

You're right but it's not just about low action, it is also about what kind of music one listens to the most and wants to play the most.
I started on a classical guitar I was given and realised quickly that apart from a couple of highly technical pieces unsuitable for a beginner, there was nothing I wanted to learn to play on it. Then I got a folk acoustic guitar and it was a bit better - there were about 20 songs that I wanted to learn on it.
Eventually I bought an electric guitar with an amp and suddenly there were thousands of songs that I felt like learning.

If veerabhadra is like me, then an Epi Les Paul Specizl will suit him/her better. Both the satin E1 and the vintage edition are nice guitars.
I don't know the Cort.
I liked both the les Paul special satin E1 and the vintage edition if there aren't much differences in them I'd go for les Paul special satin E1

3bolt79

Reaction score
Then I should go for epiphone les Paul special right cause cort cr100 seems old, but if cort CR100 is better than epiphone les Paul special satin E1 I'd go for

I liked both the les Paul special satin E1 and the vintage edition if there aren't much differences in them I'd go for les Paul special satin E1
I would get whichever one of the Epiphones that had better tuners.

BlueSquirrel

Reaction score
If the Cort is old, you could also look at the frets, see if they are in good shape.

veerabhadra

Reaction score
Which one should I choose between Epiphone les Paul special satin E1 and Epiphone les Paul special vintage edition?

3bolt79

Reaction score
Which one should I choose between Epiphone les Paul special satin E1 and Epiphone les Paul special vintage edition?
I looked online and they both have trap tuners, so it doesn’t really matter. If you find one with sealed tuners, that would be better.

3bolt79

Reaction score
@veerabhadra have you checked out firefly guitars? I got an LP style that is as good as my $800 Epiphone Les Paul custom for less than $200.00. Just thought you might want to know.

They come with stainless steel frets, locking tuners and AlNiCo pickups. Here is a pic of mine.
IMG_0643.jpeg

nedr

Reaction score
I just got a Les Paul Special i ltd and I'm really happy with it. I'm just getting started - scales, cords... but today, I totally fell into a battle with myself over what it is that I need, and what it is that I want. My heart totally wanted the best and the brightest.

The first day I suffered greatly, thinking that I made a mistake getting the LP Special i. Today I realised that what I want this for is to learn as a beginner, and you know what, I think the LP Special i is a great guitar to start with.

I would suggest going to a guitar center and put everything in your price range in to your hands and see what feels the best to you.

I had it set up at the shop. It was 50% of the cost of the guitar. Online I see a lot of people complaining about buzzing fretts, and, this or that was wrong. I could provably do it myself, but I had a pro do it. When it falls a bit out of being set, I'll deal with it myself, but as the guitar is so inexpensive, I would totally suggest having it done right the first time.

Whatever you get, I hope you have a great time with whatever you get: ) Congratulations!

Latest posts