Which one, an Elitist LP or a 1959 Limited Edition?

• Thread starter IRG
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

IRG

Reaction score
I've been checking Edwards too. I know this sounds as petty as the people who gripe about the Epi headstock shape, but that painted/decal or whatever Edwards logo just bugs me on a guitar that looks that nice.

I know what you mean. Doesn't bug me that much, but the name, Edwards, why that name? Some significance? Sort of like Agile. There's better names out there, but maybe it has something to do with the Asian translation too.

With that said, the Edwards have that nice lacquer finish, either "taste" or full lacquer. I do like that.

Paruwi

Kraut-Rocker
Reaction score
I know what you mean. Doesn't bug me that much, but the name, Edwards, why that name? Some significance? Sort of like Agile. There's better names out there, but maybe it has something to do with the Asian translation too.

With that said, the Edwards have that nice lacquer finish, either "taste" or full lacquer. I do like that.

Isn't 'Edwards' just the 'Japan only' brand from ESP, like Orville was for Gibson ?

bloc

Reaction score
Got a 2003 Elite (Epiphone called it Elite from 2002-2003 before copywrite issues) and it kills

matiac

Reaction score
I'd go for it if I were you. I'd buy it myself right now if I had money haha. An Elitist is on my "future purchases I don't have money for" list.
I guaran-goddam-tee you won't look back...

IRG

Reaction score
Been looking at a lot. Leaning now towards the Edwards 135ALS (all lacquer series) LP's, with a little bit of relicing on them. Almost exactly what I'm after, at a pretty good price overall. I might have to sell all three of my Epi's but that might make things simpler in the long run anyways. Definitely selling my '56 LP. Good guitar, but P-90s aren't my thing really.

Last edited:

bilbarstow

Reaction score
I'm going to throw a vote for the '59. I've got one in IT, and it is a wonderful guitar. The Burstbuckers and good electronics came standard, well worth the selling price. Elitists are great as well. Such a dilemma.

IRG

Reaction score
There is this really nice Epi Elitist Custom I'm looking at on ebay. Nice pickups in it too. Definitely building gas for a Custom now.

$_57.JPG

IRG

Reaction score
There is another one from a MLP Brother,
just in case you didn't see it....

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/epiphone-les-pauls/290322-epiphone-sales-thread-16.html#post6792771

Hadn't seen that, thanks. I saw one very similar on Reverb today, https://reverb.com/item/379749-epiphone-elitist-les-paul-custom-2004-ebony-upgrades

Did the Epi ELitist Customs ever come with an ebony board? Sort of a must have for me, I think. Just something I want on this model if I go the Custom route. But maybe it shouldn't be a big deal.

I'm telling you, if Epi would make a Tribute Custom; long neck tenon, ebony board and decent Gibson pickups, they would sell a lot.

Paruwi

Kraut-Rocker
Reaction score
Hadn't seen that, thanks. I saw one very similar on Reverb today, https://reverb.com/item/379749-epiphone-elitist-les-paul-custom-2004-ebony-upgrades

Did the Epi ELitist Customs ever come with an ebony board? Sort of a must have for me, I think. Just something I want on this model if I go the Custom route. But maybe it shouldn't be a big deal.

I'm telling you, if Epi would make a Tribute Custom; long neck tenon, ebony board and decent Gibson pickups, they would sell a lot.

The Elite/Elitist Customs came with (dark) rosewood boards....

same as my FGN,

it looks cool, nonetheless

an Epi Tribute Custom would even sell with a dark rosewood board....

Reactions: IRG

IRG

Reaction score
You're probably right.

I think an ebony board is supposed to be a little brighter, like maple. And maybe Gibson's thinking was with an all mahogany body the two would offset each other. Although originally ebony was likely used just because it's darker, and fit the "tuxedo" look better, not because of its sonic qualities. But I could be totally wrong too, lol.

Latest posts