Wilshire Pronunciation

• Thread starter Eagle 56
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ThreeChordWonder

Reaction score
A
The "T" is silent since that mishap in Boston !! I'm Bri ish !
Ah yes, the Bossun Ee Pardy ;-)

For advanced English English, anywhere (possible exclusions excepted) ending in "mouth" is pronounced "muth". Anywhere encoding in "ton" is pronounced "tun".

And the letter I appears twice in the word aluminium, of course.

Now for the PhDs:
Teigmouth
Bishopsteignton
Mousehole
And of course
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch (Welsh)

Eagle 56

Reaction score
Well, I thought I'd go straight to the source. And the answer is..

Screen Shot 2023-01-17 at 7.30.03 AM copy.png

(Not the way I thought, but now I know).

Eagle 56

Reaction score
Yeah, and if you were to email them back, the next CSR would pronounce it the other way (correctly). You got a quickie answer from a low-level guy.
That thought crossed my mind. I just remember growing up just outside of L.A. (San Fernando Valley), and remember Wilshire Blvd as always being pronounced "Wil-sure". I think that's why it 'sounds more right' to me.

Supersonic

Reaction score
When you Google 'Epiphone Wilshire pronunciation' it says eh·puh·fown wil·shr, but they probably don't know either. If I had one I'd just call it Fred or something to avoid controversy.

Eagle 56

Reaction score
I couldn't find anything on whether it's eponymous to a person/place named Wil-shurr or Wil-shy-ur. So we may never know. I did learn that Hendrix and Springsteen played them.
I will say that it's an amazing guitar. I'm primarily a Strat guy but was looking for a 'diversion', and tried out 5 Les Pauls (1 Gibson, 4 Epi), 3 PRS and a Gretsch before picking up this one, and instantly recognized that (for me) the neck felt the best, had ZERO fret buzz, and the P90's sounded the best for my style, which is very clean and more jazzy. I am also in the process of putting together an HH pickguard with 2 Gibson 490s for my Strat. I'm making them "quick change" so I can flip-flop between SSS and HH whenever I want to change up for a while.

BlueSquirrel

Reaction score
It's WilTshire in England, with a t in the middle. And in Wiltshire they pronounce it Wilt-shur, not Wilt-shire. Same as in neighboring Hampshire (pronounced Hamp-shur, often with a silent h) where I grew up.
Are you sure about the silent "h" in Hampshire, though?
I ask because, apparently, "in Hhertford, Hhereford and Hhampshire, hhuricanes hhardly ever hhappen". :hmm:

:D I'll see myself out! :io:

BlueSquirrel

Reaction score
I will say that it's an amazing guitar. I'm primarily a Strat guy but was looking for a 'diversion', and tried out 5 Les Pauls (1 Gibson, 4 Epi), 3 PRS and a Gretsch before picking up this one, and instantly recognized that (for me) the neck felt the best, had ZERO fret buzz, and the P90's sounded the best for my style, which is very clean and more jazzy. I am also in the process of putting together an HH pickguard with 2 Gibson 490s for my Strat. I'm making them "quick change" so I can flip-flop between SSS and HH whenever I want to change up for a while.

Wow! I'd love to hear you play jazz on it!

Btw, how do you make a "Quick change" loaded pickguard for a strat? It sounds really interesting.

Eagle 56

Reaction score
Btw, how do you make a "Quick change" loaded pickguard for a strat? It sounds really interesting.

I just jump wires together so I just have 2 wires coming from the guitar and 2 from the pickguard. A quick tack solder just takes a couple minutes. Probably 5-10 minutes at most to change pickguards.

Raiyn

Reaction score
I just jump wires together so I just have 2 wires coming from the guitar and 2 from the pickguard. A quick tack solder just takes a couple minutes. Probably 5-10 minutes at most to change pickguards.
Why do that when you can just do this?

20AWG JST quick connectors.

I've used them on several builds. Takes more time to pop all the screws than actually swap pickguards.

ThreeChordWonder

Reaction score
Are you sure about the silent "h" in Hampshire, though?
I ask because, apparently, "in Hhertford, Hhereford and Hhampshire, hhuricanes hhardly ever hhappen". :hmm:

:D I'll see myself out! :io:

I grew up in the southwest corner of Ampshur, first in Poulner pronounced Pow-nur) on the northwest edge of Ringwood, then in Bransgore, about 5 miles northwest of Christchurch, which was in Ampshur until the 1973 boundary changes pushed it into Dorset.

The landed gentry pronounced the h, we serfs didn't.

Cozmik Cowboy

Reaction score
do they also say Warsh rag (wash rag) because that sounds like how ppl would say it here in ohio too?
I grew up in the Appalachian corner of Ohia (about 10 miles closer to Wheeling than to Columbus), where you might say "I got pooshed off the rufe and landed in the boosh; got dirty, so I had to warsh up in the crick so I wooden git Ma's fronachur dirty. Then we went off ta church fer washup servuhziz - but I spent the whole time coloring with my crans; one of them smelled like vuhnella."

And I say it "Wilsher".

toastkid

Reaction score
I
Hey All, I haven’t been on here in a while, but yesterday I stumbled upon a new Cherry Wilshire P-90 while checking out a new (to me) music store. I was very impressed so I bought it. Here’s my question: is Wilshire pronounced Wil-shire (like in England), or Wil-shur (like the boulevard in Los Angeles)? I know it doesn’t really matter but I’m just curious. Thanks 👍🏻
In the UK we wouldn't pronounce it 'shire'...

The English county of Wiltshire is pronounce Wilt-shur, so I'd stick with the 'shur'.

That's what I call mine!
1674463667561.png

Töñə ÇH@$əR

Reaction score
I grew up in the Appalachian corner of Ohia (about 10 miles closer to Wheeling than to Columbus), where you might say "I got pooshed off the rufe and landed in the boosh; got dirty, so I had to warsh up in the crick so I wooden git Ma's fronachur dirty. Then we went off ta church fer washup servuhziz - but I spent the whole time coloring with my crans; one of them smelled like vuhnella."

And I say it "Wilsher".
yinz used crans too lol...yeah i live like 20 minutes from wheeling

Last edited:

Latest posts