Would yous guys help me, please !

• Thread starter rexyellowdog1
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

rexyellowdog1

Reaction score
Greetings. I am new to the forum. Thanks for letting me join in.
Have been playing a Joe Pass '99 Samick for my go-to Sunday service axe. I want to replace the tone caps ( ? ) . Are they are .1 mfd ? If so, would it help if I put in .047, or do you recommend .022 ?
The tone pots act like volume controls.

Thanks !

Bob

eS.G.

Reaction score
WELCOME!!!
Pics please......Love the Joe Pass ....guitars and the music. ;)

JohnS

Reaction score
You might want to ask the question of Gibson Customer Service as to what the stock caps are.
I have gotten reasonable response times from them. What are you trying to accomplish with the change?

IGRocker

Reaction score
Welcome! It's probably .022, .033, or .047 already. I've never heard of that rating in a guitar from the factory. I couldn't tell you the exact rating though :dunno:

It could just be the pots, Epiphone used to be hit or miss with those. A harness swap would do wonders!

Paully

Reaction score
I've got a '99 Samick JP too. Can't help with the caps though. I am changing the p'ups for Seym. Dunc. Aph1's but I'm not going to remove or change the harness just gonna wire in new p'ups to existing wires thru the p'up routes.

rexyellowdog1

Reaction score
You might want to ask the question of Gibson Customer Service as to what the stock caps are.
I have gotten reasonable response times from them. What are you trying to accomplish with the change?
Hi. Will try Gibson. The volume rolls off real bad when you even begin to turn the tone back. Thanks for your input !

rexyellowdog1

Reaction score
I've got a '99 Samick JP too. Can't help with the caps though. I am changing the p'ups for Seym. Dunc. Aph1's but I'm not going to remove or change the harness just gonna wire in new p'ups to existing wires thru the p'up routes.
Thanks. Are the Alph1's like paf's , or hot ?

rexyellowdog1

Reaction score
Welcome! It's probably .022, .033, or .047 already. I've never heard of that rating in a guitar from the factory. I couldn't tell you the exact rating though :dunno:

It could just be the pots, Epiphone used to be hit or miss with those. A harness swap would do wonders!
IG, I'm gonna look into it further ! What value pots are common stock for hb's !Thanks.

IGRocker

Reaction score
I'm not too certain about the whole linear vs. audio taper thing. I'm sure someone else can pipe in on that subject

DPaulCustom

Reaction score
Thanks, found the wiring diagram. Says 500 k audio, .02m. Something is still weird, too much volume dropoff w tone pots. Both pu.
Those Epi pots aren't the best, I'd consider replacing all the electronics.
The pickups should be fine, but the pots, switch, & input jack would be a good upgrade, although I don't envy you the job, those hollow body guitars are a real PITA to deal with.

eS.G.

Reaction score
Great pic!

Makke sure you have plenty of fishing line if your replacing all the pots switch and jack.....makes life easier

rexyellowdog1

Reaction score
Those Epi pots aren't the best, I'd consider replacing all the electronics.
The pickups should be fine, but the pots, switch, & input jack would be a good upgrade, although I don't envy you the job, those hollow body guitars are a real PITA to deal with.
I know, man ! Been inside them B4 . Thanks.

rexyellowdog1

Reaction score
I just found this from Dave@redstone , from 2007, on a google post.......
" Oh, the early emperors and JPs had the infamous Samick wiring, which
has to be fixed, whether you change pups or not. I have noticed that
some of the newer Epi's have the standard wiring. The way to tell is
turn the vol to about 1/3, crank up the amp and then adjust the tone
control. The Samick wiring case will show up as the tone control
acting more like a volume control with the vol set low. If the tone
acts normally, then you are ok. "
YUP !! There it is, the issue that is hounding me. Off to do more homework, later !
Bob

Latest posts