Would yous guys help me, please !

• Thread starter rexyellowdog1
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DPaulCustom

Reaction score
Just keep in mind, if you go with the cts pots, you'll likely have to 'ream' the holes a bit.

rexyellowdog1

Reaction score
DPC, I'm just overwhelming myself with ideas. This is in the planning stage. BUT, I am going to check out those caps....if they ARE 100n, ( .1 ) ,those dogs gotta go 1st. I do like the idea of putting in a made up harness...but that has me thinking pickups as well ! I gotta settle down, here !

wildeman

Reaction score
DPC, I'm just overwhelming myself with ideas. This is in the planning stage. BUT, I am going to check out those caps....if they ARE 100n, ( .1 ) ,those dogs gotta go 1st. I do like the idea of putting in a made up harness...but that has me thinking pickups as well ! I gotta settle down, here !
I made a completely new harness for my Ibanez hollow body. The best way is to trace the hole pattern off the guitar and transfer it to a piece of thick cardboard, then you can mount the pots and switch to it and solder away. Then i mounted the pickups and pulled the wires through the f holes and soldered them to the pots, lowered the whole thing through the f holes and pulled it into the holes with twine. Not too difficult at all

wildeman

Reaction score
Oh yeah dont forget to check that the new stuff fits the holes, you may need to ream them. A standard drill bit is very violent so a reamer is preferred.. And dont forget to ground the tailpiece. Good luck.

rexyellowdog1

Reaction score
Wildeman, I appreciate your suggestion. Looks like I'm going in in the next couple weeks. I can use my Starfire III if I need an axe for a bit. NOW, I asked Gibson for a schematic / diagram. They sent it on a couple days notice, on a weekend !! How great is that ? So, it is wired goofy. Epiphone Joe Pass Wiring.jpg

Anyway, gonna go in with a mirror, check those cap values and wiring, and, letcha know !

By the way, this forum is 50x greater than FB !

sliberty

Reaction score
My personal favorite for humbucking or P90 based guitars is to use 500K linear pots for volume, and 500K audio pots for tone, wired up 50's style (Google "50's wiring" if you don't know what I mean). This is not so standard, as many people use audio pots for volume and tone, but I like this setup a lot. The linear volume pots dramatically slow the impact of turning the volume down, making it much easier to dial in the volume that you want. No more on/off perceptions. I've done this on several of my guitars already, and may very well do it on the rest too. With a semi or fully hollow guitar, it can be a pain in the ass to rewire, but a complete rewire sounds in order. New CTS pots, some nice caps (don't go crazy, I use Mallory 150's), a new jack and a new switch - this stuff really makes a difference. I do my own wiring on solid body guitars, but I haven't done the f-hole thing yet. Take photos, and give us a report.

rexyellowdog1

Reaction score
My personal favorite for humbucking or P90 based guitars is to use 500K linear pots for volume, and 500K audio pots for tone, wired up 50's style (Google "50's wiring" if you don't know what I mean). This is not so standard, as many people use audio pots for volume and tone, but I like this setup a lot. The linear volume pots dramatically slow the impact of turning the volume down, making it much easier to dial in the volume that you want. No more on/off perceptions. I've done this on several of my guitars already, and may very well do it on the rest too. With a semi or fully hollow guitar, it can be a pain in the ass to rewire, but a complete rewire sounds in order. New CTS pots, some nice caps (don't go crazy, I use Mallory 150's), a new jack and a new switch - this stuff really makes a difference. I do my own wiring on solid body guitars, but I haven't done the f-hole thing yet. Take photos, and give us a report.
DPaulCustom showed me this.....something to consider....http://www.ebay.com/itm/TAOT-Wiring...?hash=item33920fdb9b:g:3nYAAOSwfcVUAmos...the whole kit on ebay
Bob

DPaulCustom

Reaction score
I'll second the suggestion of 50s wiring, makes the controls much more intuitive.
Pretty simple really, just move the cap lead from the left lug of the vol pot, to the middle lug.

Latest posts