Wraparound: Love, Hate, or just different?

• Thread starter The Convert
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

The Convert

Reaction score
So I've been missing my SG and am looking at the pelham blue SG Special-I. (Always loved that color.)

I'm familiar with most of the features on this guitar, but I don't recall ever owning something with a wraparound bridge.

The immediate probable downside that occurs to me is limitations in adjust intonation.

Does anyone have a lot of experience with these? I'd really appreciate your perspectives.

Thanks!

Norton

Reaction score
Definitely different.

There are a pile of options out there to solve any intonation issues so that shouldn’t be a problem.

But the feel of a Gibson style wrap around bridge is very different to a stop tail/tune o matic.

There’s less downward pressure at the “saddle”. If you play with 8’s or 9’s you might have some issues with sloppy side tonside string movement If you pick hard.

The wrap tail pieces make playing with 11’s easy. Those bridges are Super snappy and very interesting.

You should totally have one of each.

Steven Howes

Reaction score
I have the wraparound on my special II. I don't notice any big problems with intonations. It's not perfect but for my home playing it's fine. If I was going to record it the intonation might not be good enough, but if I was recording I also wouldn't do it with a $150 guitar.

BGood

Reaction score
Yeah I like them. I like the minimalist look and function. I like the way they feel under my hand.

I guess they wouldn't put them on guitars, if intonation couldn't be attained. You have to take the time to do it properly. When you move one adjusting screw against the post, the other end of the bridge will move too. You go back and forth a few times to get it spot on.

I have 4 guitars with them and intonation is just fine. They very best one (without movable saddles) is the one PRS uses. A piece of art.

CUST177_bridge-tailpiece.jpg

shimmilou

Reaction score
I have them on a few guitars, one has the individually adjustable saddles, and I have been able to get the intonation correct on all. I like them, and prefer them over the standard stop tail.

From a discussion in another thread, I'm going to try and replace some stop tails on Epi guitars with the wrap around, as I think I would like them better.

duceditor

Reaction score
I've been playing for almost sixty years. Had (and have) guitars with almost every sort'a bridge. My absolute favorite is the wrap around. Period.

Why? Two reasons: Simplicity and sound.

Yes, it is true that the intonation is not adjustable string to string. But that is equally true -- indeed more so -- for the finest jazz boxes and classical guitars. Martin-types too.

In two words configured as an interrogative: So what? Obviously that never bothered the players of such. Are we rockers actually more pitch savvy than they?

Okay, and that simplicity. KEEP IT!!!

Yeah, you set it up once for any string gauge and then never need think about it again.

And then there's that tone. Good vibrations conveyed right down into the wood and then back up.

Is there any meaningful shortcoming? Yes. Your strings can't be crap. The tail wrap can't be hodgepodge in length.

(But who wants to play with crap strings anyhow?)

Great on classic Juniors. Great in Specials.

Especially great on one of these: (A rather worn Gibson Les Paul CM)

LP CM w New P94 clone WEB.jpg

-don

Last edited:

Steven Howes

Reaction score
I've been playing for almost sixty years. Had (and have) guitars with almost every sort'a bridge. My absolute favorite is the wrap around. Period.

Why? Two reasons: Simplicity and sound.

Yes, it is true that the intonation is not adjustable string to string. But that is equally true -- indeed more so -- for the finest jazz boxes and classical guitars. Martin-types too.

In two words configured as an interrogative: So what? Obviously that never bothered the players of such. Are we rockers actually more pitch savvy than they?

Okay, and that simplicity. KEEP IT!!!

Yeah, you set it up once for any string gauge and then never need think about it again.

And then there's that tone. Good vibrations conveyed right down into the wood and then back up.

Is there any meaningful shortcoming? Yes. Your strings can't be crap. The tail wrap can't be hodgepodge in length.

(But who wants to play with crap strings anyhow?)

Great on classic Juniors. Great in Specials.

Especially great on one of these: (A rather worn Gibson Les Paul CM)

-don

Wait. didn't you just get that last year? Is it really that worn or a trick of the light in the picture?

duceditor

Reaction score
Wait. didn't you just get that last year? Is it really that worn or a trick of the light in the picture?

Yes, just a year ago. But, nope. No tricks. That is how it looks.

The 2015 CMs came with a very thin black stain on the maple top. (The rest is a hard-as-nails modern mat finish) Within days the natural contact points/wear marks began to show -- this I am sure by intent. I sped up the process by buffing the guitar in those same areas with a soft , non-abrasive, micro cloth. I then darkened the worn through areas some with an oil-based stain -- that to capture a bit of the color of the rosewood board. The results are as you see in that photo.

Or were. Actually the guitar continues to wear and lighten. :)

-don

RTH

Reaction score
Put a Schaller 456 on it! Fine tuning and looks badass!
full

RTH

Reaction score
uh....or not. I just found out the 465 is discontinued now and can sell for a hefty price. :shock:

Brian16sg

Reaction score
I have one on my Lp Special the stock one works fine so far. like they said there are adjustable replacements out there . i got one on Amazon from Musiclilly but i havent felt the need to replace it yet . i was at Guitar Center on Thursday and was checking out one one of those Pelham blue SG Specials (So Cool looking!).

Mongol McPhee

Reaction score
So I've been missing my SG and am looking at the pelham blue SG Special-I. (Always loved that color.)

I'm familiar with most of the features on this guitar, but I don't recall ever owning something with a wraparound bridge.

The immediate probable downside that occurs to me is limitations in adjust intonation.

Does anyone have a lot of experience with these? I'd really appreciate your perspectives.

Thanks!
This may or may not help:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1704649

gil

Reaction score
The Pelham blue SG is bad ass! I just recently got a couple of guitars with the wraparound bridge, I haven't had any issues with them. Been eyeing the Gibson CM with the wraparound bridge.

Blakk

Reaction score
I recently acquired a Special I with P90s and a wraparound bridge. I put an adjustable bridge on it and it intonated perfect.

Latest posts