Your other favourite non-premium guitar brands

• Thread starter steak&chips
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

steak&chips

Reaction score
As Epiphone is to Gibson, and Squire & MIM Fender is to US manufactured Fender, what other guitar brands/ranges do you like that act as that mid-priced and budget range guitar, and why? The type of guitar that does a great job for gigging guitarists, who can’t justify spending thousands.

Personally, I could never justify to myself buying a Gibson or a US made Epiphone, when the Epiphone guitars made in China and Indonesia are fantastic guitars to play. At the same time (based on no sound or valid logic), I just don’t feel the love for a Squire, even though I really should.

So it got me wondering, what else do you all like? It might tempt me to investigate myself!

Maguchi

Reaction score
The old DeArmond branch of Guild in the '90s and early 2000s and even the used ones today.

BGood

Reaction score
I really like the PRS SE line. 2004 Soapbar 1 I've had for some years and it could well be my only guitar. Had a 2007 SE One for a while, but it was too similar to the Soapbar 1 to warrant keeping it. I also got a 2017 SE Zach Myers 3 months ago and is it a keeper. I love the fat-wide necks on them. I'd be plenty happy to only play PRS SE.

PRS.jpg

3bolt79

Reaction score
Well, for me it's Gretsch. The Chinese made Electromatics are great. I have two that were under $500.

The Chinese Electromatics are a step above the old Korean ones. And quite a bit above the Streamliners these days that are also MIC.

I have two more Electromatics that were $800 and $1000.

I also have an MIJ Falcon, which is infinitely better, but also cost more new than my other 4 combined.

In the end they are all tools, and each have their specific purpose.

Charles Carter

Reaction score
My three K. Yairi classicals are the only guitars I own that aren't Epis.
Absolutely premium quality guitars but a relatively obscure brand.
Played by the likes of Carlos Santana and Steve Hackett so they probably don't qualify?

3bolt79

Reaction score
I agree with you on those Classicals. I have a super cheap Yamaha CG 102 for a camping guitar, an Alvarez Flamenco, and a hand made Ribot y Alcaniz small body classical from a small builder in Japan.

I may get a Yairi one day. They are highly regarded. Are any of yours longer than 648 mm scale? My Ribot is 655mm and my Alvarez is 660 or 662mm. I can't remember now.

I had a Ramirez 1A that was 667mm, and that was a little too big for me. I couldn't make stretches in certain pieces. Hence "had".

Charles Carter

Reaction score
Yeah, my YC200 is 665mm.
The CY116 is 660mm
and the CY62CE is 655mm I think?
Keeps me on my toes. 😅

Latest posts