Another new Slash model

• Thread starter Paruwi
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

John

Reaction score
Welcome in Bob and congrats....

SpawnedX

Reaction score
Going to just re-post what I posted on MLP here:

SpawnedX said:
So I am pretty ticked with how Epiphone launched this guitar. I have had it pre-ordered (the unsigned model) with AMS since 11/27/17 with Epiphone quoting to AMS that they will get it to them by 12/8/17. That date comes and goes and no sign of it. I have to call in to find out it has been pushed back to 2/23/18. I try to reach out to Epiphone through various channels about the guitar with some questions and not even the courtesy to respond.
Then they announce the release at the beginning of this week out of the blue. Then all of a sudden they are shipping them to UK retailers while leaving US retailers in the dark and holding the bag with pre-orders going unfulfilled well past the estimated date initially provided. I am watching friends in the UK order this thing this week and get it two days later, meanwhile the 900.00 I have plunked down 2 months ago has counted for nothing.

I see Gibson's terrible service and decision making is bleeding further and further into Epiphone.

SpawnedX

Reaction score
CITES issue?

If that is the case then Epiphone/Gibson are lying when they say every single Epiphone made overseas gets it's final quality inspection in the US before being shipped out to retailers.

ChoKo

Reaction score
That's a beautiful 'burst but, if you're a Slash fan and didn't care about the color of the LP, you can always do what I did and get any sunburst Epi LP standard and drop in the Duncan APH II's or a boutique or after market 'copy' variation of the same pickup. (I have a set of Sin Pickups' Snakepit humbuckers in my LP.) I used to have two LP's set up like this but one of them had an unfortunate accident. :(

... Of course, if you do this you won't get the expensive 'signature' extras but it's nearly the same and you will save a little cash. Haha.

Paruwi

Kraut-Rocker
Reaction score
If that is the case then Epiphone/Gibson are lying when they say every single Epiphone made overseas gets it's final quality inspection in the US before being shipped out to retailers.

They have (or had) 3 places to do the inspection

US
Europe (The Netherlands)
China

Raiyn

Reaction score
Why ? they're shipping thousands of guitars without any issue...
1484423401188.gif

Shadow Explorer

Reaction score
My first post here' I saw this site on the Marshall forums I visit' since I am a big Marshall nut. I own a few EPI over the years and they are a great value. I mostly play super strats like Jacksons and Charvel and Fender but I have been looking for a LP guitar for a few months now and after playing many Gibsons and the Cheaper EPI LP'S and the Epi;s really impress me. So I saw this new Slash Epi and called Sweet Water and pre ordered the $899 one. I love green and I love Slashes Tone so we will see. Their goibg quick. SW already sold all the signature ones. And these were going quick. But I am on the list thanks to my SW rep Ty. They said mid Feb for shipping. Cant wait will post when here.

Welcome to the forums, I would use that as an opportunity to get a better made japanese-chech epi or Gibson, used.

Guitars shipped to Europe don't have the inspected in the usa sticker, although this can mean anything.
Probably the retailer checked it an it was not garbage...

The 4th one is the main reason that I stopped caring about epis, this has so many things wrong with it, that I still cannot believe how it passed any QA. Well most likely it didn't...

#3 (left) misaligned bridge - neck. low B was practically unplayable around 12th and up. it slides off the fretboard because
it was hitting the rounded part of the fret
epi#3.jpg

#4 all that.... plus the traditional garbage tuners...
epi#4.jpg

kustombob

Reaction score
Their always the I hate EPI post' then the I hate Gibson post' then the get a PRS post' on and on and on.

SpawnedX

Reaction score
I don't hate Epi, but I do hate poor business decisions and leaving your customers to feel like their money doesn't matter.

I have multiple Epiphones and multiple Gibsons. I actually think just offering this signature model in Epi at that price with these options is a bad decision as well because it literally undercuts the Gibson model while offering the same or, and in the case of the fretboard, better features at 1/3 the price. I cancelled my Gibson USA pre-order one to get this instead.

Shadow Explorer

Reaction score
@kustombob I don't hate Epi, I replied regarding their QA.
@SpawnedX Epi is the better deal, Gibson will not be 3times better...if it all. However the possibility that it will be better is higher than the other way around.
Imo I would go for a Gibson if I could. even if its .28 times better, unless I could compare both at the same time,then l would go for the best one then no matter the make.

kustombob

Reaction score
Well i think also the Gibsons new prices are just insane' With the new tax laws' companies in the US now have more cash flow so I just cant see why these prices. Also the Slash model is only being made in a limited no. And will have a little better QC. So hopefully we will get a decent ax. If not back to Sweetwater it goes. I dont expect a $5k guitar but something that will allow it to be made into a nice instument for gigging.

Shadow Explorer

Reaction score
As far as Gibsons go, Leftovers from preview years or used is a consideration. New ones are stupidly expensive, we agree.
With the same money you can look for a Japanese Epi. They should be as good as the usa Ep...bsons.

Again if you can try them, get the best one for you. The inlay on the headstock is probably the most expensive part of any guitar these days.
An Epi can be as good or better than a 5k guitar. But the odds are much lower than finding a really good Gibby for example.
This comes down to how they are manufactured imo.

John

Reaction score
I never have been to picky when it comes to guitars. I play what I can afford and only play for my GF and I so top quality guitars don't matter much to me. Give me a $99 Epi and I'm a happy camper. Ummm guitarist...

Shadow Explorer

Reaction score
Having the right guitar is more important that having the "best" one.
If you can afford one that combines both without problem, no reason to settle for less. That's the main argument I have with slash's model and other overpriced Epis.

They are priced so you can either buy something better used, or pony up to get something better new.
(Better as in woods and construction.)

For example in a local site with used gear there are the following available:
Epi lps-80 fujigen for 850€
Gibby studio with hp aluminium case for 750€
Gibby trans amber 2014 classic for 1150€....

Shadow Explorer

Reaction score
Our prices are higher than the USA, since those guitars are not very common and overpriced.
For many years the market was sort of "rigged" over here, the prices went down because of Thomann...
Some stuff are still overpriced even if they do not sell...
There is a new 2015 standard TA/ Cherry back, for 2250€ (2745$). The shop is an official Gibson distributor.
The are leftover epis that are better deals here and there, since the market here hasn't caught up the multiple pricebumps.

Many shop owners wouldn't let you try the guitar before you buy it!!! There is a good reason I only go to one shop in Pireaus (zozef) otherwise I order online.

I just wrote down some examples of what I could get if I had 900€ to 1200€ to spend on a 6 string slash or otherwise LP.

The MKH7 that I kept (out of 4) was better than the Gibson Explorer but not as good as the Gibson Les Paul I have.
It was in the same league, never felt as a secondary class instrument.

Latest posts