Any Strat players??

• Thread starter El Cid
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

RTH

Reaction score
Ok, so I actually DO own a Strat. Its a Squier Standard Deluxe with a 2 point fulcrum bridge and Alnico pickups. Unfortunately, it has a broken tuner and -gasp- I broke a chunk of the fretboard end off somehow. oops. :mad: I used to play this guitar all the time, but getting used to the neck was a real pain. Crappy pic. Maybe I'll fix it soon.

full

David Wiese

Reaction score
I like the fact you can mod the hell out of 'em. Plus Fender doesn't make you feel bad about doing so, because they've released so many models that have had heavy mods. They have been very open to using the other guys pickups or hardware.

I remember reading an interview with a guy who had a signature model that he wanted a Duncan Invader in. Gibson said know and used the Dirty Fingers instead.

I may be alone in this, but I like the fact that Fender has so such a varying tier system with so many price points. I also like the fact that the Squiers that have been coming out are actually nice guitars.

RTH

Reaction score
Back when I was playing my Strat, I seem to recall all of the newer Squier models being made of basswood and poplar. I wasnt too keen on that. Even the Deluxes that came out after mine (alder) were basswood.

David Wiese

Reaction score
I remember the MIM strats being poplar a few years back, and that's why I didn't buy any MIM Fenders back then. They've been using alder or ash for just about everything Fender for the last decade (even the MIC).

RTH

Reaction score
Yep. I couldnt find one Squier that was alder. This was back in 2010 or so.

David Wiese

Reaction score
Squier is using a lot of basswood, which is a step up from the agathis they were using. Basswood was fine by me; that's what Music Man was using for a while and I believe is still used on the Axis (formerly the EVH signature).

phodg

Reaction score
I have a red '94 MIM Strat. But at some point I would like one with humbuckers. Having bought 3 guitars over the last month, though, I think I'll have to wait a while otherwise my wife may well murder me in my sleep.

vomer

Reaction score
My main axe is a 1984 SQ series Squier strat, the 70's model in black with maple neck and the bullet headstock. I don't have a good pic atm. I love it and would be devastated to lose it. It has the old 7.25" radius which I like; (and suits me as I can set these up to have a good action without fretting out); rounded edges to the fingerboard; and a fairly average/slim neck. The body is basswood and has a sweet and resonant tone unplugged.

I've changed the pickups out for Fender Custom Shop 54's, and the bridge and trem for Callaham.

I've owned various Squiers and Fenders over the years, including other strats, but this is the only one I've kept.

El Cid

Reaction score
So out of curiosity, which neck does everyone prefer (cosmetically, feel, etc.), maple or rosewood?

I thought I heard Fender had a blacked-out stratocaster with an ebony fretboard but I might have been dreaming.

vomer

Reaction score
RTH, is yours one of the Chinese ones from 2002-04? They made some lovely models in this short period, lots with alder bodies, based on this design, large headstock with Squire in gold and the stratocaster in large bold script, eight hole but three ply pickguards, two point trems and a backplate with two elongated cutouts. And various neat colours like Shoreline Gold (more gold than recent ones), Sienna Sunburst, and Gunmetal or Charcoal. The same style were then made in Indonesia for a year or two but I've never played one. I sourced a gold one as a present for someone years ago, and always keep a look out for another. I haven't seen one with a top like yours before.

RTH

Reaction score
Yep. Its a 2004 Squier Deluxe QMT. Its a really great guitar. Alder wood, Alnico pickups and all that. I really like it, but I just cant get on with the small neck.

vomer

Reaction score
My thought if I do find one of these is that it would make a great platform for mods (not that they aren't pretty good already, but you know how it is :)) and possibly a new neck. An American Standard neck would fit with the 2 point trem style, and has rolled edges which I like.

RTH

Reaction score
The only issue with replacing a neck is that certain models have a narrower pocket - at least with the Squiers. The Bullet model is narrower than a Standard, for example. You'd have to make sure you are getting the right size as they are not all universal.

Latest posts