Anybody here prefer the 1990s-2019 headstock shape over the new 2020s???

• Thread starter Sonny Wolf
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Raiyn

Reaction score
Boy, you really like to take quotes out of context to serve your purpose, don't you? Here's the full sentence (again)... "I think in Gibson's mind - it's close enough to get people to stop buying "Chibsons".
I wouldn't put too much stock in "Gibson's mind" they're still perfectly able to bite their own tail.
  1. In Gibson's mind sending Mark Agnesi out to basically threaten folks was a good idea. "play authentic"
  2. They're too busy going after legitimate companies and giving veiled threats to people who tape over their logos (because they don't want to give Gibson free advertising)
While Gibby is making a few strides post King Henry one shouldn't try to read so much into a change in headstock design. It's a headstock, not a panacea against Chinese copies.

jbrowning

Reaction score
I like the older head stock. Just because that is all I've ever had. Give me time and I'll be fine with the new head stock till I break off one of the horns/ears.

Jim

BB11

Reaction score
I like the older head stock. Just because that is all I've ever had. Give me time and I'll be fine with the new head stock till I break off one of the horns/ears.

Jim
The real older headstock are like the ‘Inspired by’ headstocks.

Jimmy in NC....

Reaction score
Except for certain models, the epi headstock was always the deal-killer for me. I own a Poppa Chubby Korina V that came with Epi P90s. It has the traditional V headstock. I installed stacked SD P90s with new pots. I like the sound and playability better than some of my "real Gibsons" (LP Heritage and 70s LP DLX). I like many of the Elitist headstocks.

The exaggerated size and shape is like a giant forehead on a smokin hot babe... wait, can you still say that?

OK, it's like if Roger's head (American Dad) was placed on your favorite celebrity's body.

View attachment 11343
I have been wondering if anybody else thought that same thing about Rogers head on the headstock of an epiphone. It's always reminded me of Roger's head and it was a deal-killer, hoping the new ones will look better. It's hard to tell from just a picture on my cell phone I haven't seen one in person yet. I'm fixing to order a 2020 Epiphone 335 Pro for my brother-in-law for Christmas. He's married to my wife's sister and has been playing for more than 50 years. I have being blessed by God with a bit of good luck this year so I'm trying to pass this blessing forward and do something extra nice for everyone in my family.
God bless y'all Jimmy in NC....

soulman969

Staff Member
Reaction score
I have no preference as I seldom look at the headstock when playing. I don't really know the difference between the "open book" and the "sloped dovewing," so maybe I'm not the right person to ask.

Make it two. Other than when tuning or restringing I never even look at it. To me the shape of a headstock is one of the least of my concerns compared to everything else from the nut to the bridge or tailpiece. I wouldn't pass on buying an instrument just due to the shape of it's headstock.

Norton

Reaction score
Kalamazoo headstock ALL the way.

The "old" epiphone headstock design was originally 15 maybe 20% larger than the lp/sg size and Fully Bound.

The extra clips showed off the skill of the makers. all those extra joints and miters in the binding. Some of the recent Sheraton's have a larger headstock and they pretty much always look good, full of inlay and binding.

Without those elements, the headstock loses all it's visual gravity.

IGRocker

Reaction score
I’m in the minority in that I didn’t mind the old headstock before. It wasn’t bold and audacious like some company’s headstocks. Same feeling for the new one too, it’s just a simple 3+3 that does the job without being annoying.

BGood

Reaction score
I’m in the minority in that I didn’t mind the old headstock before. It wasn’t bold and audacious like some company’s headstocks. Same feeling for the new one too, it’s just a simple 3+3 that does the job without being annoying.
Same here. I don't see the hype about THE precise Gibson shape.

grinwer

Reaction score
I like the old one, but maybe I'll like the new one too, a little later. )

Jam Handy

Reaction score
As far as the irrelevant minutia of how a guitar LOOKS, what is much more important to me is how it plays and how it sounds...

As long as Gibson/Epiphone doesn't decide to use one of these 2 headstocks, I'm good...
BC Rich Warlock.jpeg
Dean Razorback 1.jpg

Kostas Kritsilas

Reaction score
Those two headstocks are for stabbing disagreeable people in bars situations. Keeps them in line.

Latest posts