Changes In My Life~

• Thread starter Digger
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Digger

Reaction score
A few weeks ago I was really crook and a hospital visit found a herd of ulcers in my duodenum!

Now I'm well on the way to getting over that but for a week I could barely face food. That is a challenging time for an insulin dependent diabetic!

However by the time my appetite came back I had lost a few kilos and thought "What better times to lose some weight!"

As a result I've reduced the amount I eat by perhaps over 50% and yes I am always hungry, but just ignore that and only eat what I have to.

Now it's 19 days today and I'm approaching 10 kilos weight loss and my tummy is noticeably reduced, though still some way to go.

I am now unable to eat big meals and am having roughly 50% of what I was eating a few weeks ago. I fill up really quickly now.

At the same time I stopped drinking and am just as happy with a glass of water as a scotch. No big deal at all!

My diabetes medication is continually being revised down and although our systems are different, I've gone from 68 units of insulin to 48 and still descending, and have totally cut out Metformin. I'm still continually low so there is room for more adjustment of insulin ahead.

It's been an amazing exercise and now I'm determined to change my life and lose the rest of the weight.

Sometimes it doesn't take much to change your life as you might think!

Alty

Reaction score
It's so nice to hear positive changes in peoples lives, well done mate.

:)

eS.G.

Reaction score
Come on by Digger, I hit the gym at least 3 times a week. ;)

We can go pump some iron together.

Seriously GLAD they got you sorted and that your feeling better. :thumb: Keep up the good work!!:dude::dude:

Digger

Reaction score
Thanks fellas I guess I comment because it has taken so little effort to turn it around, and in less than 3 weeks!

I have iron weights but can't use them as I have back problems that even a few reps sitting doing arm curls sets it off significantly. However carrying less weight might improve my back and knees.

Nice idea though eSG thanks. I have pain from my neck and shoulders right down to my right ankle currently. A doubling of pain medication strength in the last few days has done nothing!

Gonna try for a short walk on flat ground today.

Digger

Reaction score
I'm finding that my need for insulin is still dropping!

Was 68 units a couple of weeks ago, now sitting on 48, and overnight sugar levels are still coming in low. That suggests there is room for further reduction.

Eating is not that radically reduced, just toast or muesli for breakfast, fruit for lunch and a small evening meal. Nothing at all in between! My stomach has shrunk obviously and already I'm not finishing food on my plate, even with smaller meals, as I feel full. I could no more contemplate snacks than fly to the moon.

That is very unusual for me I can tell you!

It's 3 weeks now since this started and my life has changed enormously in that time. I'm gonna have to buy new jeans soon as they are starting to get very loose.

eS.G.

Reaction score
Keep on trucking Digger you will be back down to your old fighting weight in no time! ;)

Never wrong to be a bit healthier

Digger

Reaction score
Keep on trucking Digger you will be back down to your old fighting weight in no time! ;)

Never wrong to be a bit healthier

Thanks mate, I hope so.

Hard to imagine really as I've been heavy for about 10 years now. I reckon by Christmas I might be close to where I should be in weight and shape.

Gonna help my crook back too obviously.

ScottMarlowe

Reaction score
It's all about portion control and changing for life man. I've had to drop about 20lbs and keep it off. I was at 190, down to 170, and maintaining. Also diabetic (Type II) and that 20lbs makes a world of difference.

Digger

Reaction score
It's all about portion control and changing for life man. I've had to drop about 20lbs and keep it off. I was at 190, down to 170, and maintaining. Also diabetic (Type II) and that 20lbs makes a world of difference.

Agree with you Scott and the good thing is that as you lose the excess fat, it helps unlock your cells and the insulin is more efficient and I presume you need less.

I can't wait for my quarterly diabetes review, my diabetes educator is gonna be so pleased with me!!

I'm finding that I can reduce portions and even then am not finishing most meals these days. Such a big change in just 3 weeks!

ScottMarlowe

Reaction score
Yeah a trick I use is to order a meal when I'm out and immediately box half of it for the next day or later that day etc. It makes my money go farther, AND it keeps my portion size down. And the thing it, I don't go hungry! Half a typical 'Murican sized serving is plenty for me. Order a nice big cheeseburger, cut it in half, etc, got a nice burger for the next day!

Congrats on making the changes man, like my doc says when it comes to diabetes, he's not treating me, I'm treating me, and he's just a coach. :dude: Rock on!

Latest posts