Do Epiphones make the grade?

• Thread starter Dr Don
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Guitarman

Reaction score
First thing i would say is i feel you can't just ask "do epiphones.....". You have to designate whether you are asking about epiphones that are pre or post 2020 because the 2020 Insired by Gibson line is a different animal and much better then most previous epiphones. If speaking post 2020 my answer would be yes they make the grade if by that you mean close to gibson and even as good or better then some lower line gibsons. Luck of the draw of course can vary how the comparison goes. But they are great aside from some small things that are easily changed cheaply or even free to do. I find almost no lower end clones are 100% without some hardware or pickup upgrades. One exception is my 2020 LP special. It beat out my upper end gibson i previously owned both tone wise and payabiity.

Pre 2020 epi....well, you will see a lot of people saying opposite, but IMO they for the most part do not make the grade. The ones i had or played were cheap guitars that performed like cheap guitars, not to mention they did not have Gibson specs such as maple caps (just veneer on top of carved mahogany) or ebony boards on customs. The IBL does use laurel for the boards on the standards and specials, but it's good quality laurel that looks and feels great and IMO sounds no different than rosewood. Plus the RW on older epis was low quality and I'd much prefer laurel, at least as long as it's of the quality they ARE using.
As I have eluded to here before, there are many Epiphone Elite/Elitist for sale every day on Reverb. They are hands down much better built than a Gibson-Gibson sanctioned the build because they own Epiphone. I stick to the Les Paul's and SG's only. This occurred in 2002-08. Many now that for two years they used the Elite moniker. Then, due to Ovation offering the Adamas Ovation Elite, Ovation threatened to sue Gibson. Imagine that, Gibson getting sued.

REVIEW THIS WIKI ACCOUNTING:
So, the Brainiac's at Epiphone changed the name to Elitist to avoid the lawsuit and stopped the production, to include every Gibson guitar. Check this link. The only thing is that is never mentions the word "Elite" much at all and even says the 2002-08's are Elitist. That is not true. ONLY THE 2002-03 WERE ELITES

I own 12 Elite/Elitist LP's and SG's. I also own every finish, except Mist Gray, of the 1960's Tribute Plus Les Paul's the were produced in the mid 2010's up until COVID stopped about everything. They come in around 9llbs and include:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ENTPBCNH--epiphone-les-paul-tribute-plus-black-cherry (READ THE NARRATIVE FOR A FULL ACCOUNTING OF THE SPECS AND IT ALSO COMES WITH A $!49.00 EPIPHONE CASE) These are the real thing and compete with my Gibson '21 Tri Burst Standard and 2005 Supreme, not to mention the Elite/Elitist I referred to above. (AND AT 1/3 THE COST OF A COMPARABLE GIBSON MODEL).

HOPE THIS HELPS!!!

Reactions: G20

Maguchi

Reaction score
Are you really this f*cking stupid I mean I made a legitimate reply a factual reply to and you come back with that bs..
Really, my response is BS? My comment in no way negates your post. Just an attempt at a little humor, and the response is a general response not even directed at you. Way too sensitive.

Last edited:

DHart

Reaction score
There is a lot of childish, school-yard behavior on this forum. Some folks here really need to grow up.

As for Epiphones which "make the grade", the LP Moderns sure do! Impeccable build quality, ebony fretboard, locking Grover tuners, GraphTech nut.. and selling for $630 with an easy-to-get 10% discount. Incredible value and a superb playing instrument.

I happened to change out pickups and electronics for my personally preferred choices, but not because the stock components were at all unsatisfactory.

I wanted Firebird picks and '50s wiring in my Pelham Blue
53232390235_f52d21b8ae_h.jpg

And, I wanted uncovered creme-bobbin Wolfetones and '50s wiring in my Burgundy
53205369742_b9d86d8e66_h.jpg

Last edited:

AJ Richetti

Reaction score
I'd say that certain Epiphone lovers are a$$holes and idiots by the bull $hit they post! Of course some Epiphones make the grade. The fools who spend time knocking more expensive guitars are in their own class.
I say I have researched everything I posted and you GIBSON fanboys are in fantasy land your bs ended when GIBSON failed with the lawsuits..so no the epiphone boys aren't inferior..it's you GIBSON boys and Gibson who got caught in your own lies that's exactly what happened. Gibson is a complete joke compared to Epiphone and it's history we all now know where the actual solid body guitar was invented.. wasn't you Gibson it was Les Paul in the Epiphone facility in New York..so another words no Les Paul and Epiphone your Gibson wouldn't even exist today plain and simple.. epiphone also owns the rights to the Les Paul name and rightfully so.. Gibson BS is over get used to that..

AJ Richetti

Reaction score
Epiphone players should drop the inferiority complex. If you don't think it's good enough, buy a Gibson. If you think it's good enough, no need to raise the issue.
Nothing inferior about this epiphone Sg little fella

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1700077501263.jpg
    FB_IMG_1700077501263.jpg
    180.2 KB · Views: 10

AJ Richetti

Reaction score
Epiphone players should drop the inferiority complex. If you don't think it's good enough, buy a Gibson. If you think it's good enough, no need to raise the issue.
Nothing inferior about that epiphone Sg on the right..oh look the step child GIBSON next to it..my Epiphones all day long over Gibson

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1697762232506.jpg
    FB_IMG_1697762232506.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 12

Brian Krashpad

Reaction score

It's a classic false dichotomy in the first instance. The unstated premise is that one is necessarily in one camp or the other, which of course is demonstrably false.

I have both. I also have both Fender and Squier. Imagine that? And USA, MIJ, MIM, MIK, MIC:

Elektriks 2022 FOUR columns W Jagmaster SMALLER.jpg

And tube amps and solid state, and hybrids. And heads/cabs and combos. Who'da thunk it:

All Amps Driveway 2022.jpg

To me, if a piece of gear is a good value given the current market (which is my first consideration-- if not, it's out of the running), and adds something to the overall stable (which is not to say I don't have a few arguable redundancies, in some of my favorite types of gear), and is well-constructed and playable, then it's in.

No hand-wringing or pearl-clutching necessary.

But that's just me.

AJ Richetti

Reaction score
I'd say that certain Epiphone lovers are a$$holes and idiots by the bull $hit they post! Of course some Epiphones make the grade. The fools who spend time knocking more expensive guitars are in their own class.
Epiphone all day long over Gibson

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1697762232506.jpg
    FB_IMG_1697762232506.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 2

AJ Richetti

Reaction score
Hell Gibson fanboys still think the Quindoe epiphone facility has little Chinese people who are starving and abused running around the facility..the truth and facts are the Quindoe Epiphone facility is completely American owned and operated Scott Lewis is the facility manager along with American and Asian luthiers did you see that Gibson boys American luthiers are there too...like Gibson facility American and Mexican luthiers no friggin difference.. Gibson/Epiphone opened Quindoe Epiphone facility in 2002 and only Epiphones are made there..

Brian Krashpad

Reaction score
Hell Gibson fanboys still think the Quindoe epiphone facility has little Chinese people who are starving and abused running around the facility..the truth and facts are the Quindoe Epiphone facility is completely American owned and operated Scott Lewis is the facility manager along with American and Asian luthiers did you see that Gibson boys American luthiers are there too...like Gibson facility American and Mexican luthiers no friggin difference.. Gibson/Epiphone opened Quindoe Epiphone facility in 2002 and only Epiphones are made there..
We get it. Thanks for the info.

Btw the standard English spelling for the city where the factory is located is "Qingdao:"

https://www.qingdaonese.com/made-in-qingdao-epiphone-guitars/

dead-horse-spank.gif

Last edited:

AJ Richetti

Reaction score

Latest posts