Epiphone 1955 Les Paul Custom

• Thread starter Zero
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Zero

Reaction score
Can anyone who’s has or had owned one please gimme the low down?! I have one on layaway and I’m absolutely feigning for it!!
97A6D038-2907-4C99-B71F-6BA977A825D2.jpeg

Darkness

Reaction score
You said no more for a while but this guitar said
giphy.webp

soulman969

Staff Member
Reaction score
It's essentially a tuxedo look version of a '56 Gold Top so whatever you've learned about it would apply to the '55 as well.

I have an older '56 Gold Top and they are terrific guitars in all respects. I've compared mine with my jam buddy's Gibson version and even he agrees that there is little difference between the two save the Gibson's P90 being a little "grittier" cranked.

I've replaced the bridge and bridge inserts with Faber Steel versions but other than that it's bone stock. I really like the look of the '55 (Paruwi will approve as well, LOL) and would have bought one if I didn't already have my '56 Gold Top.

Supersonic

Reaction score
It's got an ebony fretboard and Gibson P90s and it comes with a case! Get it! I think they were $799 new and that was a pretty good deal IMO.

Norton

Reaction score
BIG necks! in a totally good way. super impressive guitars.

Zero

Reaction score
The one I grabbed was way less than the typical outfit because it’s just the guitar. We are moving and have so much crap in disarray so I couldn’t pull the trigger but I did put it in lay away.

I am chomping at the bit to get it!!

IGRocker

Reaction score
Every ‘55 mode I’ve played has been great! If I didn’t have so many vehicles, I’d have one right now.

Biddlin

Reaction score
Love the look, bet it sounds that good too.

Space1999

Reaction score
Moonbase Alpha: drifting in space on the moon
I have one of those and love it. big neck. fairly heavy.

What are the specs on that guitar? Is it all Mahogany with a carved Mahogany top? Is that where the weight comes from?

I have never heard Epi’s new P-90 pickups, what would you say the ‘55 sounds like clean and dirty?

Thanks,

Pat

elephantrider

Reaction score
there was no weight relief in the 50's, so it's a bit heavy, plus the hog baseball neck. it has gibson soapbar p90's, so it sounds like a p90 fiddle, of you like that sort of sound. I love it. just an awesome rock machine.

maple top on these

Screenshot_20210808-111340_Gallery.jpg .

Last edited:

Raiyn

Reaction score
The only thing I don't like is the gold hardware, both new and how it ages. That's a me thing though. I tend to prefer chrome, but nickel would work depending on how the in-person vibes went. Of course with that yellowed binding..... man.

Last edited:

elephantrider

Reaction score
I'm with ya, as in I don't do gold hardware. ever. except here lol it works on this, especially after it rubs off after play time. I love the binding!

Space1999

Reaction score
there was no weight relief in the 50's, so it's a bit heavy, plus the hog baseball neck. it has gibson soapbar p90's, so it sounds like a p90 fiddle, of you like that sort of sound. I love it. just an awesome rock machine.

upload_2021-8-9_9-40-29.jpeg

HOLY SCHNIKES!!!!

Attachments

• upload_2021-8-9_9-39-8.jpeg
    upload_2021-8-9_9-39-8.jpeg
    47.5 KB · Views: 2

IGRocker

Reaction score

maple top on these

View attachment 15397 .

Ive wanted one of these for a while, now if only I can convince the missus :hmm: Gorgeous guitar, enjoy it!!

I'm with ya, as in I don't do gold hardware. ever. except here lol it works on this, especially after it rubs off after play time. I love the binding!

I’m surprised by how fast the gold wore off of my bridge in the past ten years. It’s the only part I haven’t replaced yet, because it just works and doesn’t buzz.

Space1999

Reaction score
The only thing I don't like is the gold hardware, both new and how it ages. That's a me thing though. I tend to prefer chrome, but nickel would work depending on how the in-person vibes went. Of course with that yellowed binding..... man.

I believe I read that Epiphone is presenting the guitar the way it came off the line in ‘55, hence the gold hardware. Which I like but I have guitars with chrome or nickel and I love those too.

My only hangup is I tend not to trust the tuners Epiphone uses that are not Grover’s.

Pat

Latest posts