Epiphone Guitars that come stock with Gibson USA pickups- any help?

LikeAMotherF

Reaction score
Hi folks. Just joined, but I've been looking over the forum for a few years now. But I joined up because I have a question I couldn't find answered anywhere, and I figured this is the most knowledgeable crew when it comes to the Epis!

So I'm looking at an Epiphone Union Jack Sheraton some time this weekend- although I imagine that it would also apply to other recent guitars that Epiphone has released with the Gibson USA pickups equipped.
My question is this- do the pickups have any markings on them? I'm asking because there's a good chance that I'm going to take a little trip this weekend to go check one out. It's priced really right, but that is the thing that is making me reluctant. I remember a thing when they first came out, how they were hitting the shores *without* the Gibson pickups. It seems that some unscrupulous factoryworker(s)/inspector(s)/manager(s) was stripping out the Gibson USA pickups aND shipping them out without any pickups in them. There was a sizable wave of these models being sold off through the "factory second" dealers. (Or Authorized Refurbished or whatever it is nowadays...) So a guitar that was being sold initially for $1100 was being sold for $600 or so, only with aftermarket (generic) pickups.
A good part of the reason this guitar appeals to me is I like the idea of a semi-hollow with minibuckers. But especially the Gibson minis. So if I get the chance to go scope this guitar out, I want to be able to verify that it has theoriginal pickups. I'm pretty sure that the originals came with a gold cover, and therefurbished ones has a nickel/chrome type cover. But, as we all know, this can easily be modified. Easily and inexpensively.
So does anyone have one? If so, are you willing (&/or able) to unscrew the pickups and see if there's a sticker, or some kind of marking which will denote whether or not it's Gibson USA? I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks
Erik LAMF

Paruwi

Kraut-Rocker
Reaction score
My question is this- do the pickups have any markings on them? I'm asking because there's a good chance that I'm going to take a little trip this weekend to go check one out.

Hi Erik,

welcome here @ €piTalk

They should look exactly like Gibson-pickups look

The Epi Pro-Buckers have 'Epiphone USA' on the back
and sure are not made in the USA
many sellers don't (want to) realize this

LikeAMotherF

Reaction score
Thanks for the warm welcome and the guidance!
Just to be clear- the Union Jack Sheraton comes stock with Gibson minihumbuckers, with a gold cover and black plastic surround. (In case someone looks at this in the future, don't want them to get confused and think they got ripped off!)
Also, I'm pretty sure that the ones that have been refurbished come with a generic OEM mini-humbucker, but it's possible that some were fitted with Epiphone mini-hums. When you say that it will be marked "Epiphone USA" on the back, will that be a sticker, or is it stamped into the baseplate?

I'm hoping that the stock pickup will have a sticker, much like this one-
poKktdyLj

Which came with my Gibson Firebird. But, I'm assuming that Gibson shipped the pickups over to Asia and had them installed there as the guitars were being assembled, so I don't know how practical it would be to apply stickers written in English as guidance for the workers....
Again, thanks for your input, Paruwi!

Hi Erik,

welcome here @ €piTalk

They should look exactly like Gibson-pickups look

The Epi Pro-Buckers have 'Epiphone USA' on the back
and sure are not made in the USA
many sellers don't (want to) realize this

Tweed26

Reaction score
LAMF, I purchased two 50th Anniversary Episode, without the Gibson’s. One was a Sorrento, one was a Sheraton. Both came with the Seymour Duncan replacements that were the usual choice, both had those stripped out and replaced. Those guitars are of excellent build and make great platforms for mods. While Gibson minis are fantastic, there are alternatives. If you truly can get a “used” (refurbished) Epi for that much less, by the time you sell the SDs (I was getting $150/pr), that’s a pretty good budget for some comparable replacements.

I did Zhangbucker Firebirds on the Sheraton and love it. Old DeArmond gold foils on the Sorrento, a surprisingly fun guitar to play. You could look at Lollar, Kinman, or any of the other higher end pickup makers for mini hums that would compare with the Gibson’s, for less than the Gibson price. I’ve even seen Gibson minis on eBay for way less than $500. Don’t get hung up on the Gibson label.

Tweed26

Reaction score
Look at Fralins, Klein’s, or Mojo (UK), too. I prefer anything that Lollar does, as he’s local. A set of his go for $350. I think that his P-90s surpass Gibson’s, so I’d imagine his minis might, too.

Latest posts