Finish Crack?

• Thread starter El Cid
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

fumblefinger

Reaction score
But that is the result of impact, right? I'm talking about a crack that happens with no visible impact or cause. The only thing that happens on the Ovations is the difference between the composite back and the wood top results in a lot of movement in the structure. I'm guessing that after a time the poly finds a flaw of some sort and just separates. The guitar in this ad has what I'm talking about. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ovation-1627-VL-/171648871148?pt=Guitar&hash=item27f711eaec

El Cid

Reaction score
Mine may have been caused by being jarred around during shipping. It definitely seems that the neck had unset a bit.

Those cracks are interesting on that Ovation though

RTH

Reaction score
But that is the result of impact, right? I'm talking about a crack that happens with no visible impact or cause. The only thing that happens on the Ovations is the difference between the composite back and the wood top results in a lot of movement in the structure. I'm guessing that after a time the poly finds a flaw of some sort and just separates. The guitar in this ad has what I'm talking about. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ovation-1627-VL-/171648871148?pt=Guitar&hash=item27f711eaec

Yeah, mine was from impact.
It is typical to see poly cracks on some Epiphones around the heel from the neck flexing. It is actually very common, but not detrimental to the guitar. OP's poly crack is definitely from impact as well. Its not the typical poly crack you get from neck flex.

El Cid

Reaction score
Yeah, mine was from impact.
It is typical to see poly cracks on some Epiphones around the heel from the neck flexing. It is actually very common, but not detrimental to the guitar. OP's poly crack is definitely from impact as well. Its not the typical poly crack you get from neck flex.
Exactly. The Poly was cracked over the fretboard binding also. The luthier also pointed out some areas where it looked like the Poly bubbled. He said its like the Poly was lifted in those areas. He said he has seen many poly cracks from necks flexing but nothing really like on this guitar.

Mark

Reaction score

Here's my Ovation. I bought it around 98 (don't even remember) and I was playing a gig around 2002 one night when the neck just came off (back to RTH's wood and composite thing). It actually folded up on me in the middle of a song. I have since found out it's a common thing. It's been sitting in the case ever since, that's how much I play acoustics. lol

101_0232.jpg

101_0238.jpg

dolebludger

Reaction score
Guys, without examining a particular guitar, nobody can tell if a "finish crack" is really that or something more serious. But allow me to say this. When I started playing, all guitars worth buying were laquer finished. With the Fenders, you would be lucky to get it home before the finish rubbed or chipped off. With a Gibson, best keep in its case to avoid "spider web" finish cracks. I honestly like poly better, as long as it is not too thick. And I stand by my earlier post that poly will not crack, unless the guitar wood has been subject to forces on which I don't want to take a chance.

Mark

Reaction score
Guys, without examining a particular guitar, nobody can tell if a "finish crack" is really that or something more serious. But allow me to say this. When I started playing, all guitars worth buying were laquer finished. With the Fenders, you would be lucky to get it home before the finish rubbed or chipped off. With a Gibson, best keep in its case to avoid "spider web" finish cracks. I honestly like poly better, as long as it is not too thick. And I stand by my earlier post that poly will not crack, unless the guitar wood has been subject to forces on which I don't want to take a chance.

Funny, my 1981 Carvin is cracked/checked all around the pots.

101_0011_zpsc0496b77.jpg

You can't see it in this pic (maybe I'll take some close pics sometime with a decent camera), but it's there and in poly (as far as I know), I can only guess it's poly.

I posted this long ago, but after 34 years, this is the only wear, a couple of finger marks on key neck positions. Thumb prints, that's it;

101_0017_zps4b3b5d87.jpg

Last edited:

Mark

Reaction score
Ah Mark is that a Celebrity?

No, it's a DC150. It started out as a 160, but got screwed up somewhere along the line, so I got a good bargain on it.

This is one of the various new versions of it. Now you can get all kinds of configurations, woods, pups, trems, fretboards, you name it.

Carvindc6-main_zps81e42f91.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts