Headstock overlay

• Thread starter FireBirdFreak
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

FireBirdFreak

Reaction score
I'm looking for a template for the overlay on the headstock.

Paper, plastic, cardboard or any digitally transmisable version will do. And peg holes are not necessarily needed.

would anyone have such a thing?

Thanks

Last edited:

FireBirdFreak

Reaction score
Why? For one, I couldn't afford a Gibson Firebird so I decided instead to go with Epi's version which I feel is a damn good version of the original, with the exception to the tuners and headstock.

Steinberger tuners will be replacing the grovers. While I'm at it I'll be relocating the posts for a straight pull on the strings over the nut. I need the overlay for aesthetic purposes on the front side.

I could make my own mock-up but it would be guesswork all the way. Just need a simple template if there is one to be had.

Raiyn

Reaction score
Ah. Some of your other postings led me to think that perhaps you were entertaining the idea of a logo swap. It certainly wouldn't be the first time we've seen that, nor is is something that the community endorses.

Even folks with the "purest" of intentions get the side eye on that deal as we see plenty of fraudsters.

FireBirdFreak

Reaction score
I am not happy with your comment Raiyn ! Please don't suggest anything like that about me again. Nothing you have written has anything to do with my request of obtaining a template for the headstock. If someone wants to customize a guitar they have every right without "leading someone to believe that perhaps I was entertaining the idea of a logo swap" ......... disobeying community endorsements.

Interesting enough, many posts you have listed as axes have been "modified" ..... don't get me thinking about the purest of intentions here

I hope the investigation is complete. If not, I find myself in the WRONG community

An Epiphone Firebird is a fake, non authentic Gibson bird ....... they just don't hide the relationship

syco

Reaction score
I am not happy with your comment Raiyn ! Please don't suggest anything like that about me again. Nothing you have written has anything to do with my request of obtaining a template for the headstock. If someone wants to customize a guitar they have every right without "leading someone to believe that perhaps I was entertaining the idea of a logo swap" ......... disobeying community endorsements.

Interesting enough, many posts you have listed as axes have been "modified" ..... don't get me thinking about the purest of intentions here

I hope the investigation is complete. If not, I find myself in the WRONG community

An Epiphone Firebird is a fake, non authentic Gibson bird ....... they just don't hide the relationship
Don't let a few " bad apples" keep you away . Raiyn and Bgood will try to put you down , don't know why , but if you ignore them it's a pretty good place .

Kostas Kritsilas

Reaction score
FireBirdFreak:

There is an ignore list that can be set up under your account on this site. Just click on your name (top right side of any page), and there will be a window that pops out, and in that window, click on Ignoring.

Raiyn

Reaction score
I am not happy with your comment Raiyn !
Please don't suggest anything like that about me again.
Hang on, slow down a second.
We have had people try to make fake "Gibson" axes by doing exactly what you were asking about.
I never accused you of anything if you bothered to actually READ the comment that would have been clear. In fact you had relieved my fleeting suspicion. I was attempting to explain that.
Nothing you have written has anything to do with my request of obtaining a template for the headstock. If someone wants to customize a guitar they have every right without "leading someone to believe that perhaps I was entertaining the idea of a logo swap" ......... disobeying community endorsements.
It has nothing to do with "endorsements" . Counterfeit guitars are an issue, their sale is illegal. Promoting counterfeit goods does run afoul of the forum guidelines.
Interesting enough, many posts you have listed as axes have been "modified" ..... don't get me thinking about the purest of intentions here.
:rolleyes: Part swaps etc. are common occurrences. Making an entire headstock face isn't. I don't hide the fact that my modded guitars are budget brands. I own that fact with pride.
Take a step back for a second: a random new guy is asking about all the different measurements of a Gibson and how they compare to the Epi they have. A guy *might* look at that whenever said individual starts asking about headstock templates. God Forbid someone asks a slightly probative question of said random stranger. brands
Did the guy with the coat hanger lock his keys in the car with his dog inside or is he trying to steal it? A guy might ask what's going on.
Again we see a lot of fakes.
Not really. Epiphone and Gibson are the same company. Have been since 1957. They make versions of original Gibson designs, but that in no way makes them fake.

Look, obviously we got off on the wrong foot here. I'd like to apologize, I certainly wasn't expecting this kind of reaction to what I intended as a "Cool - just thought I'd ask since we get scumbags on occasion." message.

Lastly, don't mistake snark for meaness.
You might not like my opinion, but at least I'm honest about what it is. I'm never going to put on a fake smile and pretend, but if I can help, I damn sure make an effort.

Last edited:

Davis Sharp

Reaction score
I've read this thread 3 times and still don't understand what the OP is trying to do with the template. Is it to alter the string break angle? If so, I'd be interested to see the final product.

Given what we've seen here and in other forums. It's an understandable, a priori, to think that altering the headstock has an ulterior motive. Over of Squier-Talk, there are many comments about Squiers being re-sold as Fenders because it's so easy to sand off one label and replace it.

Don't let a few " bad apples" keep you away . Raiyn and Bgood will try to put you down , don't know why , but if you ignore them it's a pretty good place .
Not my experience, but to each his own.

Raiyn

Reaction score
I've read this thread 3 times and still don't understand what the OP is trying to do with the template. Is it to alter the string break angle? If so, I'd be interested to see the final product.

Given what we've seen here and in other forums. It's an understandable, a priori, to think that altering the headstock has an ulterior motive. Over of Squier-Talk, there are many comments about Squiers being re-sold as Fenders because it's so easy to sand off one label and replace it.

Not my experience, but to each his own.
Thank you, on all points.

soulman969

Staff Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't even go that far. The Epiphone brand stands up very well on it's own. Most of their models which are similar to the Gibson version are nearly as good and based solely on price offer much greater value to the buyer.

I'm also of the belief that one should have the right to modify their own guitars as they choose. I've modified two of my CVC Squier Telecasters so much that they are now more Fender than Squier all the way down to their necks and electronics.

In reality the only parts that are still Squier are the "bones". Their alder bodies. Everything else has been changed because it's what I wanted to do with them. I'm not selling either of them so who cares. They're my guitars made to fit my needs.

FireBirdFreak

Reaction score
Thanks Noodling Guitars, I almost missed the link you posted. The firebird "studio" version does not have the router work on the headstock. I'll create the template from scratch.

I'll post pics of the results on what I come up with, along with the whole process of what I'm doing .............. ( I just like driving the little ole ladies crazy)

I see the web police are busy little bee's. If this keeps up I guess I'll just have to stash them in my little KAREN vault ! It would be such a better world if some people could simply STOP TALKING!

i'LL BUILD and CUSTOMIZE MY GUITAR in ANY SHAPE, FASHION or FORM I DAMN WELL PLEASE ...... even if you string me up and hang me from a noose.

Finally, for any Senior member or Editor: When I registered as a user on EpiphoneTalk, I would never have imagined what a warm welcome I would receive upon doing so.

FireBirdFreak

Reaction score
soulman969 ......... you haven't been accused, arrested and convicted of a crime that has not yet been committed, have you?

They don't act like this on the Fender or Squire forums, do they -

Last edited:

Noodling Guitars

Reaction score
Thanks Noodling Guitars, I almost missed the link you posted. The firebird "studio" version does not have the router work on the headstock. I'll create the template from scratch.

I'll post pics of the results on what I come up with, along with the whole process of what I'm doing .............. ( I just like driving the little ole ladies crazy)

I see the web police are busy little bee's. If this keeps up I guess I'll just have to stash them in my little KAREN vault ! It would be such a better world if some people could simply STOP TALKING!

i'LL BUILD and CUSTOMIZE MY GUITAR in ANY SHAPE, FASHION or FORM I DAMN WELL PLEASE ...... even if you string me up and hang me from a noose.

Finally, for any Senior member or Editor: When I registered as a user on EpiphoneTalk, I would never have imagined what a warm welcome I would receive upon doing so.

Ahh I see! SOrry, not much of a Firebird person so didn't notice the differences. Hope it works out and definitely looking forward to seeing your work! Posting pics on this forum is like bringing world peace.

pontaeri

Reaction score
I'm of the school of getting the original to have the best chance of making a quality copy.

I am assuming OP wants a template to make the two layer headstock of Gibson's Firebird as the Epi one is a single layer one. Even with an accurate template or even a router jig/s (which wouldn't work since the guitar starts with just the set neck block), It's a lot of work. And can't remove the neck like a tele or strat for easier handling. Cover the guitar in padding, masking tape or painters tape around the nut. Then removing the tuners, sanding off the paint, then filling in the holes the tuners left behind either with dowels + filler or filler only. Then sanding the head stock so its level. Glue in a block for the second layer. More sanding, and this will have to be by hand, or maybe with dremel (building it they shape the neck first then glue the wings that form the body). Then redrill the holes for the tuners. Oh and check alignment of strings with the nut (even if you replace the nut you'd have to still figure out the alignment). Then you have to paint match it. That's no problem because most of the epi firebirds are black but if you want to go OG (original guitar / not gangsta), you'd have to color match the body. ANd if you have the sunburst, the Gibson one has two tone head stock, so that's two colors. My head spins at all the tasks.

Of course owning a Gibson firebird makes all the difference in making that accuracy in your quest to convert your Epi headstock to a Gibson one. But also know money is a serious thing and Gibsons prices are up there, so understand if you can't get one. But I know gigging guitarists that barely make any scratch yet have gibsons for home or gig use. Good luck.

Crazy story: my pops makes surfboards, and back in the 90's the shortboards were dominated by Channel Islands, and for some reason their boards would work world wide in any wave, any condition (granted specific models were for certain breaks / wave height / shape etc) but he kept trying to copy them off templates from other surfboard shapers. Couldn't get it right, and finally he caved in and bought one and just looking at the bottom, how the slight channels and fin arrangement and he was able to redo that magic those boards have, of course now everyone knows how they work . . . He also saw all the little details add up that made it work.

grinwer

Reaction score

There are no moderators on the forum, but there are a couple of idiots. Everything is like in life.
Welcome )))

Raiyn

Reaction score

For the record, I apologized and made it clear why I asked what I did.

O.P's desire to be overdramatic and false claims of persecution are duly noted. The proper definition of "Karen" should also be taken into account.

A Karen feels like they get the wrong end of the stick, believing to be the victim of any given situation due to an overly inflated sense of entitlement. Karens cannot be reasoned with, and often expose themselves to widespread ridicule due to outlandish behaviour, usually leading to the explosion of a trivial issue into something unnecessarily large.

If anyone here is acting like a Karen, it's the guy YELLING about doing whatever he wants. You even called for a "manager".

I had intended to leave the conversation after post #4 in the thread - you answered my question, I was good with that. I left an explanation of why I asked and that was supposed to be it. You chose to take offense, where none was intended.

Again, there was an apology. Things could have ended right there.

Good day.

Edit:
Oh, and just to try actually help you after all of this: If you're interested in getting more sources of information and being around folks who might actually do / have done what you're asking I suggest www.mylespaul.com

They even have a moderator staff.

Last edited:

Latest posts