Help restore Epi Les Paul Traditional Pro III

• Thread starter gil
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

gil

Reaction score
thumbnail.jpg

Picture tells all. Just purchased this Traditional Pro III at a good price as is and Im wondering if it's worth restoring the back of the neck and how to go about it?
Thanks in advance!

BGood

Reaction score
By the way it transitions at the heel, it doesn't look like it was sanded by hand. Why would he sand the middle of the body though ?

If the surface is smooth to the touch, I would just oil it with tung oil or other. It should bring the color mid way between raw and stained wood. Then go over with Scotch Brite to make it smooooth.

gil

Reaction score
I think at this point it may need some sort of stain? It looks like it was sanded by hand there are no steps just the finish that was removed. I’d like to get the color back if possible

BGood

Reaction score
You could do that. Finding the exact color could be a challenge and then you'll want to seal it so it doesn't wear off. If you are good at working with wood, stains and lacquers, sure.

I bet tung oil (you can find some with stains in it) would bring it about there. That is what I use for my fretboards. It'll look more like a well played guitar.

thumbnail.jpg

gil

Reaction score
It's actually down to the wood where in the pic looks like there is some coloring left. I was just wondering if there is a standard color for these guitars?

BGood

Reaction score
It's actually down to the wood where in the pic looks like there is some coloring left. I was just wondering if there is a standard color for these guitars?
There might be, but where to find that info.? Get some color coupons from your local paint store and try to match it ?

syco

Reaction score
What color is the other side ? If you don't mind me asking .

syco

Reaction score
Maybe see if "Old English " might have a similar color in their furniture polish / scratch cover . I know they have light and dark , but unsure if they do other colors anymore , or maybe a combo of both .

Kostas Kritsilas

Reaction score
You may want to have a talk with Guitar ReRanch. They may already know what colour that is, and may even have a way of matching it up with their own products. Just an idea.

gil

Reaction score
Brütal. A little scotchbrite pad would have knocked off the gloss enough to make that a fast player. Now I'm concerned about how much wood has been lost.
Actually that was my concern before I went to look at it, no wood lost. The finish is very thin with no gloss.

gil

Reaction score
thumbnail.jpg

Here's the front shot of the guitar. Actually, a very nice guitar in every aspect. The back looks like it didn't take much to remove the finish so again, no wood lost just wondering what Epiphone used on these, looks like your classic very light Gibson/Epiphone satin finish used on some SG guitars.

Last edited:

BGood

Reaction score
ALL Epiphone use poly. Some thicker/glossier than others. So poly in spray should do.

grinwer

Reaction score
This Epiphone Les Paul Traditional Pro Limited Edition Gold Top - fast "worn" type finish on the back of the neck and body.
I like how it looks. I would cover only with a thin layer of nitro varnish. But it's me.

RanchCracker

Reaction score
It looks like somebody had a "sticky neck" issue with the original finish. Looks like they effectively resolved the issue but, for whatever reason, wasted no care or patience to get there! I can relate to the "sticky neck" feeling but it's not something that really bothered me that much. (I have enough to deal with on the opposite side of the neck!) That neck could look a whole lot better without having to learn, the hard way, that painting stuff can get just as complicated as anything else. Ending up with a smooth, consistent, and relatively flawless result can be an elusive accomplishment. Plus, it's the back of the neck. Matching the color exactly would be great but is it worth the effort? If it was mine, I'd start with some 400 grit sandpaper and even up the ends. If you just took it up to the corner of the contour on both ends it would look far better. That would probably take less than an hour but then your likely to see a difference between what you just sanded compared to the rest of the neck in between the ends. I'd plan on doing the middle part too so it's consistent. Then, I'd do exactly what you've done and solicit opinions. Your looking for something somewhere between applying multiple coats of clear coat and "just take a sharpie". Just remember, this is NOT a case where "you'll get out as much as you put in." There's a limit on the top end so don't overdo it. There's hundreds of suitable products available. An easy to apply finishing oil makes the most sense to me. Right now it looks like a shaved cat, so you're likely to see an improvement no matter what.

Noodling Guitars

Reaction score
It looks like somebody had a "sticky neck" issue with the original finish. Looks like they effectively resolved the issue but, for whatever reason, wasted no care or patience to get there! I can relate to the "sticky neck" feeling but it's not something that really bothered me that much. (I have enough to deal with on the opposite side of the neck!) That neck could look a whole lot better without having to learn, the hard way, that painting stuff can get just as complicated as anything else. Ending up with a smooth, consistent, and relatively flawless result can be an elusive accomplishment. Plus, it's the back of the neck. Matching the color exactly would be great but is it worth the effort? If it was mine, I'd start with some 400 grit sandpaper and even up the ends. If you just took it up to the corner of the contour on both ends it would look far better. That would probably take less than an hour but then your likely to see a difference between what you just sanded compared to the rest of the neck in between the ends. I'd plan on doing the middle part too so it's consistent. Then, I'd do exactly what you've done and solicit opinions. Your looking for something somewhere between applying multiple coats of clear coat and "just take a sharpie". Just remember, this is NOT a case where "you'll get out as much as you put in." There's a limit on the top end so don't overdo it. There's hundreds of suitable products available. An easy to apply finishing oil makes the most sense to me. Right now it looks like a shaved cat, so you're likely to see an improvement no matter what.

Yeah, if it were mine, I'd probably just even up the areas so that either I get a stinger type look and take the rest off the bit leading into the heel kinda like how they do neckthroughs with painted bodies but satin/ clear necks. Probably feels good as is anyway.

Darkness

Reaction score
I agree with Noodle and Bgood on this. I would clean up the left over peaks of the finish edges so it is more uniform and feathered and use oil on the gap area of the neck. The body i would leave alone.

If you are dead set on making it match, it might be better to completely strip the back/sides and just refinish all of that in the color of your choice. That way no difference in color/sheen would stand out and you'd save the headache of matching finish and knowing it doesn't match (if that sort of thing would bother you). Going fancy this might cost about $60 in supplies, cheaper can be had if you get creative. Youtube can be a friend. If you do this be gentle on the back side end edges, you don't want to damage the veneer.

Strange that they sanded down what appears to be a matte finish already.

Latest posts