Honest question >> How do people afford very expensive guitars?

• Thread starter Jam Handy
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Raiyn

Reaction score
I don’t think we are far apart.
I don't think we are either, but I am going to play with some of your opinions / statements by throwing out some counterpoints and / or supporting opinions from my perspective. We're having having a good talk here and I'm game if you are.
The value I see in the upper tier is mostly two-fold. One is that, because of the materials, these can be generational instruments if cared for. Pot metal will weaken over the years and mystery woods may or may not hold up over time, but select woods with time tested finishes and top coats, along with actual steel instead of cast mystery metal have the best chance to play the same in 30 years.
My '07 G400 is nearly halfway there, but I've swapped out nearly everything from stem to stern on that axe from a hardware and electronic standpoint. IIRC, maybe a couple of the bushings are OEM. Some of the stuff may well have been crap (looking at you stock bridge), but I don't think the gulf is really as wide as you portray it. (modern stock vs modern stock) I just wanted different stuff, partially for experimentation, but mostly because I dug it.
Point being, I'm not afraid to change parts if I want / need, not that it would matter to me on a Gibby either, because <cartman voice> I do what I want*. </voice>
The second issue is a combination of a few related items. Gibson holds value better,
True, though it doesn't really apply to me, because I don't sell guitars I've bonded with.
is better sounding out of the box,
This can be considered to be a subjective point.
I've messed around with a couple Gibbys that their owners dug, but I personally would have left in the store. They just didn't have "it" for me in an unplugged sense and just didn't spark for me feel wise. That said, I handled a fair few Epi's before I snagged the Lady. I kept coming back to her. I'm sure I could do the same were I so inclined to buy a Gibby, but the process would be the same. I wouldn't just pull one off the wall and plunk down my CC, I'd have to "chat her up".
and the time spent on the finish makes a huge difference to me.
I won't argue about the process of a good nitro finish, that's a long process. that said there's room for improvement.
It would be lovely if a little more care was taken when masking off the truss rod cavity. Yikes! Sure the outside is shiny, but when a guy has to scrape lacquer off the nut to do an adjustment -that ain't fun. Worse is when the gorilla that owns it decides to force the wrench! A bit of tape would make all the difference to us freelance helper monkeys.

Also, I personally don't like how precious you have to be with a nitro finish. I can use whatever stand I want, set my guitar on random furniture and never have to worry about my never curing finish melting.
Basically, I think you get a lot more that makes it unnecessary to mod.
Blasphemy! Modding is the way, and the life! :laugh2: :cheers:
I’ve owned maybe six Epiphone Les Pauls and I changed the pickups (and electronics) because for me it was necessary to make it sound good enough.
Not going to fault you here either, I found the stock '57s in my G400 lacking as well and electronic swaps are all but a certainty when I commit to an axe. I like what I like and apparently one of those things is voiding warranties!
I know a lot of people really like Epiphone pickups, which is great, but I like very few. When I pulled the BB61s from my
Gibson LP Classic, I thought they sounded good, just not what I wanted in that guitar. But they’d be perfectly good if I wanted a hotter guitar. I made the change to go somewhere, not to get away from something.
I'm never gonna bag on you for trying to find your sound. It's all a process.
Again, as a tinkerer, Epiphone guitars are great for me. Inexpensive entry point for a solid, nice looking platform guitar. And if you love it out of the box, you can enjoy it for a good long time.
∆ This ∆ I can't agree more.
My point is simply, for me, there is a clear difference that is worth the money on rare occasions. I’ll never own an R8 or a Rickenbacker or even a Friedman. But I enjoy my collection that’s basically half Asian-made and half American-made. They all have qualities I like or I wouldn’t keep them. Actually I just sold an American Tele because I didn’t like it. Price or place of origin doesn’t determine if I’ll like it, but I know basically what I’m getting and why when I buy from either side of the pacific.

Nice talk buddy.
Not denying you any of that, you do you. I'm right there with you, only my thresholds are a bit lower based on the reasoning I expressed earlier.

Personally, I'm lusting over one of those Am. Pro II Jazzmasters that Fender came out with. That Dark Night finish :drool:
I could probably (definitely) swing it, but that's a big chunk of change to lay out going into hurricane season and in my house we talk over larger purchases before the trigger gets pulled if for no other reason than respect.

If I hit a nice big lottery and find myself in a position where, with proper planning, money is no longer an issue I'd buy one without a care in the world. I'd likely stick to my guns on a 4K Gibby, but a $1700 Fender done up right? :applause: Come to daddy.

I did manage to scratch the itch to a degree with that Squier Contemporary Series Jaguar I have on preorder - which has an exciting spec sheet all on its own while ultimately costing me a grand less** - a concession SWMBO is aware of, because she's "caught me drooling" over both axes.

The things we do to maintain a supportive relationship. :D I wouldn't have it any other way.

*That SWMBO says I can. :laugh2: :cheers:

** I added an SKB TSA hard case, a Sweetwater set up for Balanced 10's, extra strings etc.

The Convert

Reaction score
I don't think we are either, but I am going to play with some of your opinions / statements by throwing out some counterpoints and / or supporting opinions from my perspective. We're having having a good talk here and I'm game if you are.
My '07 G400 is nearly halfway there, but I've swapped out nearly everything from stem to stern on that axe from a hardware and electronic standpoint. IIRC, maybe a couple of the bushings are OEM. Some of the stuff may well have been crap (looking at you stock bridge), but I don't think the gulf is really as wide as you portray it. (modern stock vs modern stock) I just wanted different stuff, partially for experimentation, but mostly because I dug it.
Point being, I'm not afraid to change parts if I want / need, not that it would matter to me on a Gibby either, because <cartman voice> I do what I want*. </voice>
True, though it doesn't really apply to me, because I don't sell guitars I've bonded with.
This can be considered to be a subjective point.
I've messed around with a couple Gibbys that their owners dug, but I personally would have left in the store. They just didn't have "it" for me in an unplugged sense and just didn't spark for me feel wise. That said, I handled a fair few Epi's before I snagged the Lady. I kept coming back to her. I'm sure I could do the same were I so inclined to buy a Gibby, but the process would be the same. I wouldn't just pull one off the wall and plunk down my CC, I'd have to "chat her up".
I won't argue about the process of a good nitro finish, that's a long process. that said there's room for improvement.
It would be lovely if a little more care was taken when masking off the truss rod cavity. Yikes! Sure the outside is shiny, but when a guy has to scrape lacquer off the nut to do an adjustment -that ain't fun. Worse is when the gorilla that owns it decides to force the wrench! A bit of tape would make all the difference to us freelance helper monkeys.

Also, I personally don't like how precious you have to be with a nitro finish. I can use whatever stand I want, set my guitar on random furniture and never have to worry about my never curing finish melting.
Blasphemy! Modding is the way, and the life! :laugh2: :cheers:
Not going to fault you here either, I found the stock '57s in my G400 lacking as well and electronic swaps are all but a certainty when I commit to an axe. I like what I like and apparently one of those things is voiding warranties!
I'm never gonna bag on you for trying to find your sound. It's all a process.
∆ This ∆ I can't agree more.

Not denying you any of that, you do you. I'm right there with you, only my thresholds are a bit lower based on the reasoning I expressed earlier.

Personally, I'm lusting over one of those Am. Pro II Jazzmasters that Fender came out with. That Dark Night finish :drool:
I could probably (definitely) swing it, but that's a big chunk of change to lay out going into hurricane season and in my house we talk over larger purchases before the trigger gets pulled if for no other reason than respect.

If I hit a nice big lottery and find myself in a position where, with proper planning, money is no longer an issue I'd buy one without a care in the world. I'd likely stick to my guns on a 4K Gibby, but a $1700 Fender done up right? :applause: Come to daddy.

I did manage to scratch the itch to a degree with that Squier Contemporary Series Jaguar I have on preorder - which has an exciting spec sheet all on its own while ultimately costing me a grand less** - a concession SWMBO is aware of, because she's "caught me drooling" over both axes.

The things we do to maintain a supportive relationship. :D I wouldn't have it any other way.

*That SWMBO says I can. :laugh2: :cheers:

** I added an SKB TSA hard case, a Sweetwater set up for Balanced 10's, extra strings etc.

All good points.

On the point of subjectivity, I’ll double-down and say you couldn’t be more right! These were my personal opinions based on my individual experiences. I’m not seeking to objectively inform or persuade. I only tell the story of one odd dude.

Seems to me the guitar community is very diverse in opinions and interests. I like that, so long as folks talk to and not at each other. I’m lucky to have these communities to talk about the things that matter beyond the obvious.

Stay cool and keep on modding, friend. :-)

Raiyn

Reaction score
All good points.

On the point of subjectivity, I’ll double-down and say you couldn’t be more right! These were my personal opinions based on my individual experiences. I’m not seeking to objectively inform or persuade. I only tell the story of one odd dude.

Seems to me the guitar community is very diverse in opinions and interests. I like that, so long as folks talk to and not at each other. I’m lucky to have these communities to talk about the things that matter beyond the obvious.

Stay cool and keep on modding, friend. :-)
:cheers:

soulman969

Staff Member
Reaction score
Reflecting again on the original questions asked.

It's not all that tough for someone of even modest means and income to afford an expensive guitar if it can be financed over 48 months at 0% interest offered by many dealers.

A $2400 guitar will cost you $50 a month. A $4800 guitar will cost you $100 a month. That's far less than a typical monthly car payment and it doesn't need gas to operate.

How do people afford a $500k home? Thirty year mortgages at very low interest rates. It's all about leveraging future income to own something now.

Raiyn

Reaction score
Mmm, revolving debt. Just because the store offers 0% financing doesn't mean the Diners Club card does too.

Tempted, though I am particularly by Sweetwater's perennial financing scheme, that could get real dangerous when our ol' buddy G.A.S. comes a-knockin'.

Hell, it's dangerous now when I could just order some ish! SWMBO has a full cast iron frying pan set! :laugh2: :cheers:

Kevan Tolley

Reaction score
Any guitar player that says they would never want a $5k guitar is a liar.

That said, when you look at reality, someone can get 9 or 10 high quality Epis that span every tonal and style need for every genre...or get one Gibson LP Custom for the same price. Hell, you could get a high end $2k tube amp and still have 3 grand for guitars left over.

It's a no brainer for me, but some people have to have the name. If they have the cash to spend then by all means go out and buy that $10k PRS and have fun looking at it in the display case on the wall.

Kevan Tolley

Reaction score

Well I don't and I'm not a liar. I live a simple life on a senior pension. I no longer chase the headstock. There was a time of course when that wasn't the case. But I was young and bought into all the hype. All I own now is an Epiphone Les Paul Custom, a small amp and a Yamaha acoustic. I have 0 desire to own an expensive guitar.

littlebadboy

Reaction score
I'm just a humble public school teacher. I would really want to own an Aristides H/06. At $3k+ I could never own one. Even all my guitars and gear including my studio stuff combined is not $3k+.

I was also curious how one could afford guitars like those.

phonepi

Reaction score
I'm just a humble public school teacher. I would really want to own an Aristides H/06. At $3k+ I could never own one. Even all my guitars and gear including my studio stuff combined is not $3k+.

I was also curious how one could afford guitars like those.

They have enough money to waste it in anything they want, or... They consent sometimes heavy sacrifices for what they love... And every situation in-between !

Cheers,

Raiyn

Reaction score
While that (long overdue) Jaguar isn't the most expensive thing in the world, I will cop to being fortunate enough to be able to set aside a bit of that last stimulus check to pay for it. I'd have (probably) figured out a way regardless, but timing being what it was and the (broader) intent of the check being to kick the economy over, I figured why not.

5ilv2s.jpg

Al from Durham

Reaction score
I have a friend who was born smart and strong and with an attitude of deserving things. He has a lot of expensive guitars.

None of the above applies to me. But that's okay. I'm happy enough.

BGood

Reaction score
[QUOTE="Al from Durham, post: 89628, member: 2132"... with an attitude of deserving things.[/QUOTE]Oh ... my kind of guy.
What is that ?

Biddlin

Reaction score
I have a friend who was born smart and strong and with an attitude of deserving things. He has a lot of expensive guitars.

None of the above applies to me. But that's okay. I'm happy enough.
Before I married, I made most of my income from gigging. I owned two guitars, a Gibson ES225TD and Yamaha FG-180 (red label). For the next 30 years I gigged about 5 times a month. At the end of my gigging career, I had acquired a couple of "nice" guitars. Now in retirement, I am fortunate enough to have a few more. I don't think about "deserving" so much as "enjoying." I guess if some don't like that, too bad.

Last edited:

Darkness

Reaction score
This is true. I would love a 5k guitar. First thing I would do is sell it and buy a $500 guitar, throw the $4500 at one of my project cars.

I don't at all wonder how people afford an expensive guitar, but do wonder how they justify the expense. Then again coming from the car mod world I see people taking out 20k in credit card debt to put long travel suspension on trucks that will never see dirt. People do strange things with money.

Supersonic

Reaction score
This is true. I would love a 5k guitar. First thing I would do is sell it and buy a $500 guitar, throw the $4500 at one of my project cars.

I don't at all wonder how people afford an expensive guitar, but do wonder how they justify the expense. Then again coming from the car mod world I see people taking out 20k in credit card debt to put long travel suspension on trucks that will never see dirt. People do strange things with money.

Yes that's great. For some reason people keep quoting my random post but only quoting the first line and not the entire post. If you read the whole post you can see where I'm coming from pretty easily. Or at least I thought so.

Last edited:

Darkness

Reaction score
Yes that's great. For some reason people keep quoting my random post but only quoting the first line and not the entire post. If you read the whole post you can see where I'm coming from pretty easily. Or at least I thought so.
No I read it all. I don't see a need for several guitars, maybe a few but not $5k worth. If I had a $5k guitar it would be sold. I can't justify keeping one.

Supersonic

Reaction score
No I read it all. I don't see a need for several guitars, maybe a few but not $5k worth. If I had a $5k guitar it would be sold. I can't justify keeping one.

Once again context is key. I simply meant if anyone was given a $5K guitar they would want it. Because of the exact reasons that we've both clearly mentioned: value. Whether it be for playing or selling, the options are there.

BGood

Reaction score
Once again context is key. I simply meant if anyone was given a $5K guitar they would want it. Because of the exact reasons that we've both clearly mentioned: value. Whether it be for playing or selling, the options are there.
Then yes, I would want 25 5K guitars I can sell and buy a nice piece of land with da môney.

Latest posts