How many acoustic guitars do you have/want? How many acoustic guitars do you really need?

• Thread starter steak&chips
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

steak&chips

Reaction score
Apologies if a thread for this already exists, but how many acoustic guitars do you own, but how many do you really need? My main acoustic is a jumbo, and I probably play it more than any other. Also have a couple of cheap dreadnoughts, but they mostly collect dust. If you have one, what else would you get? I feel the desire to find a beaten-up old mahogany guitar, where you can tell it would have stories to tell if it could speak.

Paruwi

Kraut-Rocker
Reaction score
Only one.....
Currently I don't think I need more

VY1RLuc.jpg

Darkness

Reaction score
I have a Guild D240 dreadnought which I play pretty frequent. Killer guitar for the price.

I have a Taylor 214e that I stopped playing for about a year but lately have picked up often. I like it quite a bit.

I have a clunker called a Dakota D100 that was my first guitar, it sits in the closet.

I'd like a small parlor. I picked up a Gyild one at a GC once, it was used and missing 2 strings but the thing played amazingly. They were asking a bit much so I passed, but I'm kind of watching for a decent one.

Charles Carter

Reaction score
In what sort of way?
Differing tones, for example my EL00 is really suited to traditional blues, the Century Archtops to Trad Jazz and more modern styles with the addition of the humbucker.
The DR500 is LOUD and bassy. The J 200 is far more focused.
A small body is great for couch noodling.
The sloped shouldered Texan is more comfortable to play sitting down than other square shouldered dreads.
The Pr5e is lovely and quite rocky plugged in. Quiet when not ...
What was the question again ...

Last edited:

3bolt79

Reaction score
I have 3 acoustics, one classical and one Flamenco.

My Acoustics are all electric. Have a Taylor 210 Deluxe, an Ovation Celebrity, and an Epiphone Hummingbird 12 string. I have an Alvarez Flamenco that is 660 scale and a hand made classical that is 655 scale, made by Stephen Faulk.

Dale A.

Reaction score
Apologies if a thread for this already exists, but how many acoustic guitars do you own, but how many do you really need? My main acoustic is a jumbo, and I probably play it more than any other. Also have a couple of cheap dreadnoughts, but they mostly collect dust. If you have one, what else would you get? I feel the desire to find a beaten-up old mahogany guitar, where you can tell it would have stories to tell if it could speak.
6...A rosewood Morgan D, Martin D18GE, Martin D28 Modern Deluxe, Epiphone J45 IBG, Eastman PCH2-GACE, Washburn D34 S. Just one more :-) My dream guitar is a Martin style 42 dreadnought or OM with the fancy peghead inlay and fingerboard inlays.

soulman969

Staff Member
Reaction score
Just one. A Takamine GN93CE Nex body style A/E. I also had a Taylor 214CE/Dlx I gave to my son-in-law who plays fingerstyle and loved it. I kept the Tak because IMHO it actually has a better pickup and preamp so for me it works better when amplified for playing live.

takamine3.jpg
takamine2.jpg

I've considered a round shouldered dread like a J45 but don't really need a second full size acoustic. But what I am looking for is a smaller body model for acoustic blues and slide. Just haven't done it yet.

Space1999

Reaction score
Moonbase Alpha: drifting in space on the moon
Wow! You all have some serious acoustics!
I just have my Taylor 6 string and an Epiphone Hummingbird 12 string and theg is plenty for me.

Once I had both guitars done up with Graphtec bridges, nuts and bridge pins they were all I needed for what kind of music I record.

The first 8 years I played I only had an acoustic.
At first a Sears and Roebuck and then by 6th grade my Mom gave me her Epiphone Dove.

Freshman year I got an Electra LP style electric and an Acoustic practice amp (with distortion!)
And I have been primarily an electric guitar and amp nut ever since.

That is until I got serious about writing songs and I fell back onto playing acoustic guitar again.

What a journey!

Pat

macca9091

Reaction score
I’ll start by saying this is purely a rationalization …

I own four, currently.
J200
Guild jumbo 12
Texan
Ovation

(not counting Martin backpacker or Ukes)

While there’s the nagging thought - as I look at my collection - that I should be able to play any song on any guitar, I have learned that most guitars do a thing. That thing usually lines up with a genre or type of song.

Examples:

- If I want a real strummer, booming and resident, I grab the J200.

- Add to that the need for a fuller sound, like multiple guitars, then the Guild 12.

- Finger style blues, the Texan.

- Quiet strummer or melodic finger style, the Ovation.

Used to own a D-35. I used that as more of a multi-tool for both big strumming and articulate finger style.

Would like to add a dreadnaught back in, and possible a parlor-sized for the short-scale experience.

Good question!

soulman969

Staff Member
Reaction score
You need to learn to play that one with your teeth, Hendrix style, so everybody else can see the marvelous back side.
LOL.....and it's not just a piece of veneer slapped onto the back for visual impact. It a solid part of the back you can see through the sound hole that matches the maple binding and runs the entire length of the back.

I'm normally not one attracted by more bling but of all the NEX body Taks this one was rated tops when I bought it. I don't know that it adds much tonally but it's more than just decorative so at least Takamine believes it does.

Latest posts