I cancelled my 61 SG Les Paul order

• Thread starter 3bolt79
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

3bolt79

Reaction score
I am just being practical. It turns out the finish is Satin, which I don’t like. Satin necks don’t bug me but a satin body is something that really bugs me. Yes, I am on The Spectrum. The tactile sensation of flat finishes under my right arm bug me.

But I still want another SG. I’ve been looking ant a Gibson SG Modern. However, the Epi version has it beat. It has phase reversal. I like the weight of it as it helps with neck dive. I already own one. In the red burst finish. But I think I will add a black one, as a back up guitar for when gigs start happening again.

I really think this model is the most bang for the buck model out of all of Epi’s SG models, let alone that the Gibson version is 4 times the price, without phase reversal. The three guitars that I play the most are my 2 Epi SG’s and my Ibanez Jem.

Is there any of you who own an SG Modern by Epi, or even Gibson? What are your thoughts on this model?

IGRocker

Reaction score
I don’t own one, but hopefully someone will chime in. I personally am not a fan of coil taps and removed them from my Les Paul (I didn’t really use them), but I did do a magnet flip for phase reversal. I can really see the benefits of the various electronics for live shows where you’re limited on equipment.

3bolt79

Reaction score
Well, I just got an alert from Fed Ex. The guitar was supposed to arrive Thursday, like tomorrow. Now they are saying Monday the 14th.

Raiyn

Reaction score
I don’t own one, but hopefully someone will chime in. I personally am not a fan of coil taps and removed them from my Les Paul (I didn’t really use them), but I did do a magnet flip for phase reversal. I can really see the benefits of the various electronics for live shows where you’re limited on equipment.
Coil taps or coil splits? There is a difference.

I've got splits on both humbucker guitars. I like having single coil options from my humbuckers, but I'm not going to screw with cutting the winds on a single coil p'up - I'd rather do a series / parallel mod or something I'd find useful.

Last edited:

3bolt79

Reaction score
Ok @Raiyn whats the difference between coil split and coil tap? I’ve seen so many descriptions in the product literature from online sellers, and some refer to them as split and some of them as taps.

I don’t honestly know what the difference is.

Stevo58

Reaction score
A coil split is when you disconnect one of the coils of a humbucker, giving you a single coil. A coil tap is a connection to a pickup coil somewhere between coil start and coil end, resulting in lower output among other things. There aren’t many real coil tapped pickups out there.

The cynic in me would say that in both cases the result is an anemic single coil sound. But then there’s Nancy.

Last edited:

IGRocker

Reaction score
Coil taps or coil splits? There is a difference.

I've got splits on both humbucker guitars, I like having single coil options from my humbuckers, but I'm not going to screw with cutting the winds on a single coil p'up - I'd rather do a series / parallel mod or something I'd find useful.

Whichever one that Epi has :thumb: I’ve seen it listed as both.

Supersonic

Reaction score
Coil 'taps' are pretty rare. Somehow everyone started calling coil 'splits' coil taps when splitting humbuckers became a popular thing because marketing people don't know the difference and called it that in their spec sheets.

IGRocker

Reaction score
Coil 'taps' are pretty rare. Somehow everyone started calling coil 'splits' coil taps when splitting humbuckers became a popular thing because marketing people don't know the difference and called it that in their spec sheets.

I used to remember the difference, but I’m not in the game like I used to be. Too many irons in the fire between my business and full time job to keep track of anything music related!

Raiyn

Reaction score
Ok @Raiyn whats the difference between coil split and coil tap? I’ve seen so many descriptions in the product literature from online sellers, and some refer to them as split and some of them as taps.

I don’t honestly know what the difference is.
First mistake is listening to the marketing department, but I thought I covered it pretty well in the post.
I've got splits on both humbucker guitars. I like having single coil options from my humbuckers, but I'm not going to screw with cutting the winds on a single coil p'up - I'd rather do a series / parallel mod or something I'd find useful.

Yup.
A coil split is when you disconnect one of the coils of a humbucker, giving you a single coil. A coil tap is a connection to a pickup coil somewhere between coil start and coil end, resulting in lower output among other things. There aren’t many real coil tapped pickups out there.
Yup, because you almost have to do it while the coil is being wound to not gooch the pickup.
The cynic in me would say that in both cases the result is an anemic single coil sound. But then there’s Nancy.
Let's agree that it depends on the pickup / player. I've managed to find a couple sets that I like the split sound on over the years.

3bolt79

Reaction score
Well, my guitar arrived today. Gonna have to send it back. There is a big chunk of paint, about the size of a dime, that’s missing by the bottom strap button. It’s down to the wood.

Bummed out.

This guitar has a super high action, even at the first fret. Gonna need a new nut. I could fix the missing chunk of paint, but it’s not worth my time.

If they don’t have another one in stock I will try a Prophecy SG.

3bolt79

Reaction score
Yeah I will send it back and wait until next month to order again. I’m out of money and it usually takes them a week to put funds back on my card, that’s after it taking a week to get the guitar back to them via UPS ground.

Raiyn

Reaction score
Well, my guitar arrived today. Gonna have to send it back. There is a big chunk of paint, about the size of a dime, that’s missing by the bottom strap button. It’s down to the wood.

Bummed out.

This guitar has a super high action, even at the first fret. Gonna need a new nut. I could fix the missing chunk of paint, but it’s not worth my time.

If they don’t have another one in stock I will try a Prophecy SG.
Who the heck are you buying from that's sending out turds like that?

3bolt79

Reaction score
Who the heck are you buying from that's sending out turds like that?

It was AMS. I think what they sent me was the Scratch and Dent one they had listed on their site by mistake. This has happened before. I asked them for a refund, not an exchange. I will buy the new one somewhere else when I get refunded.

Raiyn

Reaction score
It was AMS. I think what they sent me was the Scratch and Dent one they had listed on their site by mistake. This has happened before. I asked them for a refund, not an exchange. I will buy the new one somewhere else when I get refunded.
Amateur hour.
Gonna suggest Sweetwater - kinda obvious why.

On a semi-related note: I need to vent a little about (I'm guessing) Hipshot putting non-staggered tuners in boxes marked staggered. I've bought two sets from different companies and gotten the same results. The part that's really irritating me is the fact that after my prior experience, I asked the second company to open the package and check the contents BEFORE they shipped out the new set. Did they? **** NO! I basically paid extra to get screwed again.

3bolt79

Reaction score
Yeah having to buy online sucks. That is the kind of garbage that happens.

Latest posts