Identification of Epiphone Les Paul "variants" (?)

• Thread starter guitar_199
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

guitar_199

Reaction score
This just hit me today... after looking at quite a few photos of the many Epi LP's that people post in various places.

The question is.... is there ANYTHING in the serial number on these things that CLEARLY IDENTIFIES what variant of a Les Paul model you are looking at?

It occurs to me that a seller could "say" that the model they are selling is "anything they want to say". They could say it was an LP Standard Plus Top, or a Standard Pro, or anything else they want.
How would you know.... ?

I mean, at the very least you would have to take it apart to examine the pickups. And I don't even know if I could tell a veneer from an actual maple layer (some are just NOT skilled in that area!)

Inviting discussion.........

Paruwi

Kraut-Rocker
Reaction score
The serial# only tells us when and where the guitar had been made
No model can be read out of the serial#

There is the EpiphoneWiki to get more info about the different models
Will add the link later.....
edit:

the Epi-Wiki was not (and will not be in the future) updated for a few years

Last edited:

guitar_199

Reaction score
Most all archtop LPs have a maple cap and veneer.

If interested in buying one and you're not sure about it, show us photos of said guitar and you'll get proper info..
My interest is going to be almost exclusively Les Pauls. And I can't really show a picture....because what I am wondering is.... how can I look at a guitar that a seller is offering... and KNOW that it really IS what they SAY it is. I don't have one in mind....... but in general... how can you tell what it really is....and that the parts genuinely ARE what they should be.... without taking the guitar apart???? I have to believe most sellers would be hesitant to allow you to start removing parts.......

BGood

Reaction score
My interest is going to be almost exclusively Les Pauls. And I can't really show a picture....because what I am wondering is.... how can I look at a guitar that a seller is offering... and KNOW that it really IS what they SAY it is. I don't have one in mind....... but in general... how can you tell what it really is....and that the parts genuinely ARE what they should be.... without taking the guitar apart???? I have to believe most sellers would be hesitant to allow you to start removing parts.......
Lost in translation, I meant carved top, not archtop, so LPs yes.

If the seller want to deceive you, anything can happen. No way to be sure that what's hidden (like electronics) is what it's supposed to be. Paruwi gave you a link for the wiki, that is one reference for older guitars, the other one is Epiphone's web site for more recent ones.

soulman969

Staff Member
Reaction score
I think it's a great question and one both Peter and Jean have answered as well as can be answered. I can only add that doing some research and homework should help you to recognize the features of certain models and what sets them apart from another model.

Sellers typically post photos that you should be able to share with us here. Many times from those photos alone we can tell you the specific model and in many cases whether or not it's a fake. A copy and not an actual Epiphone. There are quite a few tell tale signs.

As for electronics and pickups it's fairly easy to pop off the back plate to look into the control cavity but you'd still need to know what to look for. Pickups can be inspected as well if you have doubts but in my experience a seller would more than likely fake an entire guitar than to fake components. Pickups and electronics aren't that costly.

If you come across a few you like post a photo and ask about it. Over time you'll get to know as much as these "experts" here do. It comes from experience.

syco

Reaction score
In all honesty it's a "Crap Shoot " ......... research as many "back " catalogs as you can find . You will find " Exclusives " which have no info other than where they were sold . If a guitar appeals to you buy it ...... If your intention is to " flip " it .... move on to a guitar you know about . As @Paruwi mentioned ....... Epi Wiki ..... though a bit outdated ..... is a good guideline . Yes the " Newer " than 2012 .... I think was last year it was updated ....could be 2014 ...... Other than Electronics , Headstock shape and Neck Profile ...... Most are unchanged build wise . Most 2020 + IBG ( Inspired By Gibson ) IBGCS ( Inspired By Gibson Custom Shop ) will be easy to find on Epiphone site . Your 2014 ( I think ) Standard Gold Top and a Standard Pro ( Not sure of where the Plus Top comes in ) same overall build ..... different finish and electronics .

Last edited:

Paruwi

Kraut-Rocker
Reaction score
but in general... how can you tell what it really is....and that the parts genuinely ARE what they should be.... without taking the guitar apart????

by observing the market and the brand or model over some years....

nobody can offer you a reasonable answer on a silver platter

you need to look at the guitar closely - and compare it with what is known about the models

Latest posts