Inexpensive Pedals, Multi Effects Units, Pickups and other gear that surprised you.

• Thread starter AJ6stringsting
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

AJ6stringsting

Reaction score
Likewise.
View attachment 11154

Biggest bang for the buck though has to be the Carvin pickups. Love those.

I'm a huge Carvin X100B amp and Carvin M22SD pickup fan !!!!

I hope Keisel continues making them

Another great inexpensive pedal was the Behringer AM100 Acoustic Modeler.
Sounds a lot better than my Boss AC3 pedal.

Last edited:

grinwer

Reaction score
I have a Blackstar Fly3. Very good sound, dynamics. Of course, for this size and price. )
Very good for practice and on the road.
BlackstarFly3.jpgCaline-CP-34-Head-Boom-Vintage-Distortion.jpg3.JPG Cdline-Vah-CP-31.jpg
Caline CP-34 Head Room Distortion,
Caline CP-31 Hot Spice Wah - volume,
Ammoon Pockmon (a little noisy (plastic case), I need to make a screen inside.),
Ammoon PockLoop.
Also the sound is good and well made.
Amazing for the price.

Last edited:

AJ6stringsting

Reaction score
Behringer has several clone pedals some better than others at cheap prices.

Back in 2003, I bought a Behringer 1124 P Feedback Destroyer Pro.

I use it as a 12 band Parametric EQ in my rack.
That unit is more than a feedback eliminator.

Behringer, is finally getting it long over due respect and kudos !!!!

JHurt1968

Reaction score
I have a Movall Minotaur OD pedal that I picked up for $40. It’s basically a Klon copy and while I’ve never played a Klon to me the Movall sounds great. I compared it with my Keely Red Dirt min and MXR Sugar Drive. There are some minor differences between all of them. The Keely is brighter, the MXR is a little more ragged sounding, and the Movall is a little warmer. Since I can’t decide which one I like best, all 3 pedals are rotated out every couple of months.

Movall-MM-09-Minotaur-Overdrive-Mini-Guitar-Effects-FX-Pedal-True-Bypass-MAIN.jpg

Raiyn

Reaction score
I have a Movall Minotaur OD pedal that I picked up for $40. It’s basically a Klon copy and while I’ve never played a Klon to me the Movall sounds great. I compared it with my Keely Red Dirt min and MXR Sugar Drive. There are some minor differences between all of them. The Keely is brighter, the MXR is a little more ragged sounding, and the Movall is a little warmer. Since I can’t decide which one I like best, all 3 pedals are rotated out every couple of months.

Movall-MM-09-Minotaur-Overdrive-Mini-Guitar-Effects-FX-Pedal-True-Bypass-MAIN.jpg
Since I'm going into a (self) enforced quarantine period, I'm hoping that the BYOC Silver Pony is restocked soon. I could use a nice project.

grinwer

Reaction score
These are good times, a lot of equipment at a good price. For every taste. )
Of course, you need to carefully choose not to buy trash, but nevertheless.

AJ6stringsting

Reaction score
Right now, a lot of the older Digitech RP series multi effects units are selling for a much higher price than last year.
The RP-1, RP-12, RP-21, were selling as low as $ 75.00 US, are now selling for $ 150.00 US +.
Same with the early Boss Roland GT series units .

Same with the early Digitech 2100 series rack units .... all going up in price .
Seems like people couldn't afford some of the newer processors and decided to look into older units and they are discovering how good they are.

Last edited:

Noodling Guitars

Reaction score
For me it'd be the Boss ME series and also the Behringer Vamp (POD clone). I did live session work back in the day for foreign singers that needed a backup band when traveling into town (basically hiding in a pit and playing their backing tracks). My rig evolved (maybe devolved to some) from a traditional pedal based rig into a Fender Deluxe, to replacing the pedals with the Boss ME (since these were pop gigs, it was much easier to just program everything sequentially so all I had to do was press up. Didn't even bother switching between patches - any change was a new patch), to going with a Line 6 Pod straight to house, and eventually replacing that with the much cheaper Behringer Vamp2. I did get the PoD XT and other Zoom units when those came out, but that was more for GAS than anything. The beauty of having the VAmp was that it was light as hell, did everything that the producer wanted - EQ change, additional effects, or whatever it was, no problem - it's all there. Nobody ever questioned whether there was a real amp or not - even back in the day when those units had much less processing power. Made it much easier for the rest of the band as well since we all had in-ears.

AJ6stringsting

Reaction score
For me it'd be the Boss ME series and also the Behringer Vamp (POD clone). I did live session work back in the day for foreign singers that needed a backup band when traveling into town (basically hiding in a pit and playing their backing tracks). My rig evolved (maybe devolved to some) from a traditional pedal based rig into a Fender Deluxe, to replacing the pedals with the Boss ME (since these were pop gigs, it was much easier to just program everything sequentially so all I had to do was press up. Didn't even bother switching between patches - any change was a new patch), to going with a Line 6 Pod straight to house, and eventually replacing that with the much cheaper Behringer Vamp2. I did get the PoD XT and other Zoom units when those came out, but that was more for GAS than anything. The beauty of having the VAmp was that it was light as hell, did everything that the producer wanted - EQ change, additional effects, or whatever it was, no problem - it's all there. Nobody ever questioned whether there was a real amp or not - even back in the day when those units had much less processing power. Made it much easier for the rest of the band as well since we all had in-ears.
Those V amps are criminally under rated.
A guy was in a band that opened our gig, he got some amazing tones with his blue V Amp Pro rack unit . He had some amazing tones. 👏

Last time, that I looked on Reverb or Ebay, they are going for cheap .
The Blue V Amp Pro is a " Sleeper Classic " , just like the Randall RG series, Carvin X-100 B or JSX Peavey heads .

Noodling Guitars

Reaction score
Those V amps are criminally under rated.
A guy was in a band that opened our gig, he got some amazing tones with his blue V Amp Pro rack unit . He had some amazing tones. 👏

Last time, that I looked on Reverb or Ebay, they are going for cheap .
The Blue V Amp Pro is a " Sleeper Classic " , just like the Randall RG series, Carvin X-100 B or JSX Peavey heads .
The only gripe I *had* with the V Amps were the housing seemed flimsy. But mine's still in pristine condition after many gigs... Behringer really knows their plastics :rofl:
Oh yeah those amps you mentioned are all classics and built like tanks too. Really brings back memories of old forum discussions.

AJ6stringsting

Reaction score
I recently put in a Dragonfire Modbucker for the neck of my RR / Jackson copy , the advertisement said it would be wound to 10.60k ohms , but mine was 11.05k ohms on the meter.

The pickup is like a more muscular version of the Seymour Duncan Screamin' Demon .
It blends well with my 16.95k ohms Dragonfire Screamer pickup .

There's another company called Guitar Madness , that is getting rave reviews too.

Raiyn

Reaction score

AJ6stringsting

Reaction score
I like the stuff I've gotten from them, but man alive their return policy (as I remember it) is downright draconian!
https://www.epiphonetalk.com/threads/keep-it-or-return-it.3444/#post-49658

Edit: They've softened a bit.

I found another company called Guitar Madness on Ebay, like Dragonfire and GFS, they have a factory in Korea wind the pickups to their specifications.
Dragonfire's quality , tone wise , top notch..... but they have gotten a highly regarded reputation now and their prices have skyrocketed .
Kind of ruined their biggest selling point , the high quality tone for a low price.
Heck, you could go on Ebay or Reverb, get a used Dimarzio or Seymour Duncan Pickup for a few bucks more .

Latest posts