My Epi 7string twins

Shadow Explorer

Reaction score
IMG_20161130_210333.jpg

They arrived last Wednesday and quickly became my beloved ones.

blemishes.jpg

One of them came with some blemishes from the factory.
Are those dings repairable without refinishing the whole guitar?
She is a great guitar and I would rather have her fixed, than part ways with her.

Those dings are not deep at all, it's their placement that really makes me feel uncomfortable-bad-sad, they're so symmetrical and artificial...

The guitars themselves are 47 models apart (same year and month) and they feel a bit different when playing. Not too far apart but enough to understand which is which.
That impressed me, it's the first time I was able to try two of kind side by side.

Thanks for reading, I'm interested to read your thoughts.

Shadow Explorer

Reaction score
Thanks!
The main reason, is that I'm preparing a future project... I'm a 3d\graphics artist and have a friend with CNC carving machine. ^^
So one of them was supposed to be EPS (Emergency Parts Supply)... however when they arrived my jaw dropped...
The both feel great. They have nothing to be shy of a gibson or any other prestige brand, well other than the nitro smell XD
I have 2 other guitars, white Gibby explorer and a washburn cs780.

Before the gibson, I had an epi korina, that later sold to friend.
Truth be told the Gibson exp was way better than the epi back then (2006)
But those are different...

Regarding the 7 strings...
I have an obsession with 4-3 headstock configuration. Same for the Pickup design, before this one came around
the only Les Paul I really liked was the ones with P90s. You can Imagine why I love this one..

The last reason is versatility, I can play everything with one guitar,
I like good old In Flames you see so the explorer has a C tuning.

I will remain with one of them for a while, I will have to send the other one back,
the guys at the store are very helpfull (not sure if Im allowed to name them)
most likely she will be replaced. That is the final reason I went with 2.
If a new one arrives it will be interesting to see how she compares.

@BGood, No I payed full price for both. I could buy a Gibson instead, but my research showed me that Epis are better engineered than Gibsons, my only concern was their quality, but they have that in spades.
Metric parts, narrower headstock, pickups is what I considered the most.

@JohnnyGoo, Thanks mate :)

Last edited:

BGood

Reaction score
If you are not in any way affiliated with the store, I think it's safe for you to mention it, since you seem to have had good service. That's something to share.
The 2 for 1 was a joke ... But you end up having bought two to have one anyway :)

Shadow Explorer

Reaction score
Yeah the Joke is on me definitely... :p
It's Thomann, so far they are helpful and understanding.
I believe it will end up nicely and they will be 2 again by next year most likely.

eS.G.

Reaction score
wow squared...or times 2 --- or ....just WOW

Shadow Explorer

Reaction score
aaand... I'm left with one for now, I guess the fixed or replaced one will come next year.

Shadow Explorer

Reaction score
NGD at the end of next week most likely:), along with some hardshell cases for both.

Eddie

Reaction score
I can barely play 6 strings, let alone 7. But I'd love to try.

The guitars are beautiful.

Though, honestly, I've been playing my Squier acoustic the most these days. The electrics are locked in the case.

Shadow Explorer

Reaction score
Not a great player here either, when I work most of my time goes there. I usually play the guitar between projects.
Playing the guitar can bring me to a meditative state, where there is only me and my guitar.

The first ever guitar I saw and wanted was a 7 string, I never got one back then for many silly reasons.
By experiencing this one, my longing for one was right.
I just played, needed no time to get used to the wider neck as it was ment to be.
Safely I can say that I found the perfect guitar for me.

Being unlucky with the blemishes and all, which is a running gag with me and gibson\epiphone instruments,
I just hope that the new one will be perfect.

Acoustics are fine by me! I started with a battered classic one :D
All that matters is to enjoy the moments!!!

Scotty

Reaction score
Wow, interesting thread. Until today, I never new there was such a thing as a 7 string LP. Seems almost wrong..7 string LP's, but I guess modern times/music call for changes.
I think it would throw me off, but then again, who knows...I've started taking to a 3 string cigar box toy like guitar lately like a duck to water, but perhaps that's because its missing strings lol.
In any case, those are sharp looking guitars....ENJOY!

Shadow Explorer

Reaction score
This one is fairly known for being a signature model. Epiphone has produced some 7strings in the past,
that I never knew their existance until recently.

Other than the extra string, she has a nice access heel cutaway, so it is easier to play than a traditional LP.
Gibson adopted the same feature on ther High Performance Production line of guitars. I'm not sure which division
came up with it first, it is said that it was specified by Matt Heafy (sig artist of the guitar).

I sure enjoy them when I have the time. Thanks!:cheers:

BGood

Reaction score
Other than the extra string, she has a nice access heel cutaway, so it is easier to play than a traditional LP.
Gibson adopted the same feature on ther High Performance Production line of guitars. I'm not sure which division
came up with it first, it is said that it was specified by Matt Heafy (sig artist of the guitar).
Why don't Gibson offer that on ALL their high end guitars ?
Bleh ... because it's not traditional I guess.

front-and-back_2016_texture-horizontal.jpg

Eddie

Reaction score
Can you forward a link for purchase? I can't find anything on 7 string Epi LPC's ...

Thanks.

Shadow Explorer

Reaction score
Yes Gibson is so afraid to really innovate, Tradition is part of their marketing so I get it...
It is not a bad thing for those who seek it, however all they do is trying to patch old
designs and sell the patch for a premium . Might be wrong but that is how I see things.

Their wood selection doesn't excuse their prices either, all their guitars are cut in cnc
these days so not very different than MIC, MIK, MII, MIJ, models.

When I got those 2, I could have opted for the Gibson offer, a limited 7-string Standard LP.
Spec wise the Epi version has a better heel, the active pickups that I need for what I play, and
I happen to like their looks on the guitar as well, it is cleaner no pickup rings etc.
She has a better design, headstock is narrower, and is not angled as aggressively.

Both divisions however share the same QA...
As the time approaches for the replacement guitar to arrive, I'm becoming anxious about the
guitar looking good. I believe playability is guaranteed at this point.

Eddie, I see you are in New York, so here:
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ENC7EBBH
http://www.samash.com/epiphone-limi...y-les-paul-custom-7-electric-guitar-enc7ebbh1

else from e-bay.
I would advise you to check one up close if you can. I wish I could do the same with mine.
If you have any specific questions regarding them feel free to ask.

Last edited:

MarkB

Reaction score
Yes Gibson is so afraid to really innovate, Tradition is part of their marketing so I get it...
It is not a bad thing for those who seek it, however all they do is trying to patch old designs and sell the patch for a premium . .

Tbf any time they do try to experiment/innovate they get absolutely hammered for it!

Eddie

Reaction score

Thank you. Beautiful guitars. I love the deep, rich tone of the 7 strings. I think you mentioned In Flames ... I'm a big Jester Race fan. I would love to mimic that tone.

BTW, how are the regular Matt Heafy LPC's? Someone is selling one nearby for $350. It's been up for a long time. I bet he'd come down to $300 ...

Shadow Explorer

Reaction score
@ MarkB
Everything innovative from them was an one-off deal, wasn't it?
Yes, I know, ppl are fine in their comfort zone
as if everything has to cater to them specifically.
But partly that is the spoiled audience that they created... :applause:

@ Eddie
Yes I did, I'm big In flames fan :D
Bjorn Gelotte plays Les Paul custom models, He also has a current custom model made by Epiphone.
http://www.epiphone.com/News/Features/2015/Epiphone-Ltd-Ed-Bjorn-Gelotte-Les-Paul-Custom.aspx
Jesper stromblad played Explorer and Flying models.
Both used ESP brand guitars of similar shapes for a period (around Clayman era) and as far as I know they always used EMG's.
In their earlier years, they used marshall amps, in their later Peavy 5150.

For the Regular Matt Heafy, Specs are the same\ 6 string equivalent.

Latest posts