NGD: Epiphone Joe Bonamassa 59 Les Paul

• Thread starter joseph07081
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Nikki M

Reaction score
Ihadn't even thought of that. Might give it a try next time. I spent about half an hour searching for the spring on the dark blue carpet i have here. Also a lot of fun when dropping tiny black screws..
I keep a big disc magnet on my work bench and use it to hold my screws and metal parts..then after I'm done..expertly destroying another guitar.. I plop it back on the fridge door till next time..lol.
Also when I need to find screws and stuff I've dropped in my carpet.. I take one of my disc magnets..put it in a clear ziplock bag..and drag it across my carpet...you won't believe how many staples and weird stuff I've found...another unanswered mystery...

Last edited:

imnotcreative

Reaction score
I keep a big disc magnet on my work bench and use it to hold my screws and metal parts..then after I'm done..expertly destroying another guitar.. I plop it back on the fridge door till next time..lol.
Also when I need to find screws and stuff I've dropped in my carpet.. I take one of my disc magnets..put it in a clear ziplock bag..and drag it across my carpet...you won't believe how many staples and weird stuff I've found...another unanswered mystery...

I have tried that but it does not always work. Not all screws are magnetic and things seem to get caught in the fibers of the carpet. Sometimes it's just like velcro, but i can't be bothered to change it out because of the amount of work involved. Eventually i'll find it when it gets stuck in my foot, it hurts but not as bad as stepping on Lego bricks.

Nikki M

Reaction score
I have tried that but it does not always work. Not all screws are magnetic and things seem to get caught in the fibers of the carpet. Sometimes it's just like velcro, but i can't be bothered to change it out because of the amount of work involved. Eventually i'll find it when it gets stuck in my foot, it hurts but not as bad as stepping on Lego bricks.
I guess no carpet in your work room will help...then just walk around barefoot..if you don't find the screws and stuff they'll find you.

..lol

imnotcreative

Reaction score
I guess no carpet in your work room will help...then just walk around barefoot..if you don't find the screws and stuff they'll find you.

..lol
That idea has been in effect for quite some time already. Just the getting rid of the carpet is not.. I have been thinking about pulling the carpet out but there is just too much stuff to haul around the house. This used to be a spare bedroom which slowly turned into a hobby/media/workshop kind of room. It has become a bit crammed with stuff over the years and will take quite a bit of work to get it all out. I just learned to live with it.. I really need a bigger place but that has become unaffordable.

NV1

Reaction score
Hi ya-all,
I've been sort of a silent observer on this forum for quite a while now. I'm a big fan of some of the Epiphone models as I own (8) upper end Epiphones electrics at this point and enjoy them all them all, but I knew when I purchased them I was going to have to do some substantial work to them to bring them up to a decent performance level.

I'm a pretty accomplished self taught guitar tech who was willing to invest a lot of work to save money and end end up with guitars I was proud of, which I did. I'm also a 30 yr Engineer (ex-machinist) who has designed, setup and run several manufacturing facilities.

With that said, I too just took delivery on the the new JB '59 Lazereth. This guitar (spec wise) is a pretty big deal and in many ways is supposed to represent what may consider the pinnacle of desirable guitars. There were some disappointments which seem to now carry a common thread with new owners, bad springs & pickups falling out, etc. which I can somehow overlook but just like all the other Chinese models I have bought, the fret work was atrocious! The frets were way out of level preventing any play above the twelve fret, one fret actually had a kink/bump in it and the side dressing went from bad to worse the further you went up the neck. I had to do a full fret level, crown and polish on it and believe me, when to do the first stroke on those frets with an 18" precision leveling beam the quality issues are revealed instantly and it is not pretty.

But now I feel compelled to say something that may trouble some folks but I think it needs to be said for the sake reality and the hopes that Epiphone will wake up about their FRETS! I speaking primarily about the Chinese guitars. They need to understand that there are other competitor brands in the same price range and less that do a FAR better job on their frets.

Reality.............Its 2021.
Its a global market.
Epiphone just made a price increase.
Technology has advanced (PLEK and others).
***Its time for Epiphone to make frets that don't suck!

Pics attached ***Notice how much material has been removed from adjacent frets and "clean up" has still not been achieved.

Respectfully, please don't try to tell me I just got a lemon, This has been the same scenario on every Chinese Epiphone I have owned, The new 335 Dot Deluxe, (2) 335 Pro, (2) 339 Pro, Wilshire, The new Riviera and the JB '59 Lazereth.
Frets-1.jpg Frets-2.jpg Frets-3.jpg

Supersonic

Reaction score
Hi ya-all,
I've been sort of a silent observer on this forum for quite a while now. I'm a big fan of some of the Epiphone models as I own (8) upper end Epiphones electrics at this point and enjoy them all them all, but I knew when I purchased them I was going to have to do some substantial work to them to bring them up to a decent performance level.

I'm a pretty accomplished self taught guitar tech who was willing to invest a lot of work to save money and end end up with guitars I was proud of, which I did. I'm also a 30 yr Engineer (ex-machinist) who has designed, setup and run several manufacturing facilities.

With that said, I too just took delivery on the the new JB '59 Lazereth. This guitar (spec wise) is a pretty big deal and in many ways is supposed to represent what may consider the pinnacle of desirable guitars. There were some disappointments which seem to now carry a common thread with new owners, bad springs & pickups falling out, etc. which I can somehow overlook but just like all the other Chinese models I have bought, the fret work was atrocious! The frets were way out of level preventing any play above the twelve fret, one fret actually had a kink/bump in it and the side dressing went from bad to worse the further you went up the neck. I had to do a full fret level, crown and polish on it and believe me, when to do the first stroke on those frets with an 18" precision leveling beam the quality issues are revealed instantly and it is not pretty.

But now I feel compelled to say something that may trouble some folks but I think it needs to be said for the sake reality and the hopes that Epiphone will wake up about their FRETS! I speaking primarily about the Chinese guitars. They need to understand that there are other competitor brands in the same price range and less that do a FAR better job on their frets.

Its a global market.

Pics attached ***Notice how much material has been removed from adjacent frets and "clean up" has still not been achieved.

Respectfully, please don't try to tell me I just got a lemon, This has been the same scenario on every Chinese Epiphone I have owned, The new 335 Dot Deluxe, (2) 335 Pro, (2) 339 Pro, Wilshire, The new Riviera and the JB '59 Lazereth.
View attachment 15915 View attachment 15916 View attachment 15917

I think I mostly agree with you. Epi has made such massive improvements on almost all aspects of their guitars over the last few years, but the frets really should get a little more attention at the factory. Especially on the high end ones that are pushing $1k now.

Raiyn

Reaction score
Hi ya-all,

Its a global market.

View attachment 15915 View attachment 15916 View attachment 15917
The question I have is: where are you buying these guitars from?

Zero

Reaction score
Every Epiphone I’ve owned new, as in shipped to me in the original Epiphone box, has had set up and fret work to be done. I enjoy working on my guitars so when I get an Epiphone I make sure I have at least strings, fret work tools and get ready for a full set up upon arrival.
That being said, as much as I like to “bond” with a new guitar, I’d also like to just play the damn thing! I agree, 2021, make the thing playable out of the box!

Zero

Reaction score
Well the inlays are sold out. Wonder how long until the others are.
05268747-814E-4A11-91BF-E4B8C48D1689.jpeg

NV1

Reaction score
I have bought all of these new from Sweetwater, American Musical Supply and Guitar Center

Zero

Reaction score
I have bought all of these new from Sweetwater, American Musical Supply and Guitar Center
Did you opt for the plek from Sweetwater?

Zero

Reaction score

wait…. You bought a guitar from Sweetwater, yet you didn’t opt for the Plek service, but then vent here that it’s not offered?

if I would have gotten mine from Sweetwater, bet your sweet ass I would’ve gotten it plek’d.

3ACFF30D-D125-4347-A65C-73A2231A7DC5.jpeg

Raiyn

Reaction score
Given my experience with Sweetwater, and their 55 point inspection, I find your claims about them letting a guitar out in the state you claim a bit hard to swallow.
1635875544598.jpg
This is off a guitar I just received from them, they check all of that.

Jam Handy

Reaction score
I have the Non-Bonamassa one... a 2020 ("Inspired by Gibson") Epiphone 1959 Les Paul Standard - aged dark cherry burst... same USA Burstbuckers and CTS pots, etc, etc... this is the store photo of this guitar, but I bought this exact guitar and it is a really great Les Paul. I think they still produce these, but the Epiphone web page is currently (and has been for some time) outof wack and seemingly under construction or at least not accessible.

It includes all this cool stuff:

- Made in partnership with the Gibson Custom Shop
- Gibson USA BurstBucker 2 & 3 humbucking pickups
- CTS pots
- Neck Profile '59 Rounded "C" (my fave LP neck profile)
- Graphtec Nut
- Switchcraft selector switch and output jack,
- 50s era wiring (my fave humbucker wiring)
- Mallory capacitors
- Long tenon neck joint (like they did in the 1950s)
- vintage-style brown hard case (wow, it comes with a case...)

Gave $700 for mine brand new.

Here's mine:

ae00-52680_1_ - Copy.jpg

Latest posts