No Epis In Oz

• Thread starter Stuart
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Stuart

Reaction score
Not sure if this is new news here... but Gibson /Epi’s Australian distributor has fallen in a heap... I was in a major music store on Friday & the racks were bare bar for one Viola Bass... Staff advised me that they haven’t been able to get any new stock for several weeks.

Paruwi

Kraut-Rocker
Reaction score
Haven't heard this till now
Maybe the (private) distributer thinks it's risky to spend $$$ to Gibson/Epi in the current situation

Stuart

Reaction score
OMG... Now I’m really panicking... What IS the current situation???

Shadow Explorer

Reaction score
Now that you mentioned it, here (Greece) it's quite similar, noone stocked 2018 instruments, even 2017 are rare.
Most of them are 2015-6 or older.

Paruwi

Kraut-Rocker
Reaction score
Last edited:

John

Reaction score
That's just depressing as all get out..........

Cam.man67

Reaction score
You know what that means, boys? Snap 'em up while you can!!! Today's $200 used LP Studio is tomorrow's $1000 "rare, discontinued LP Studio ". Can you say investment grade???;)

Stuart

Reaction score
Gibson is close to go belly up

they got downgraded to 'junk' on most rating-companies

they need to pay ~ $ 500.000.000,- in July or August 2018

https://www.strata-gee.com/gibson-debt-deal-delay-payment/

https://www.strata-gee.com/gibson-sells-memphis-factory/

if Henry fails with ruining his company, Guitar-Center will help destroing Gibson and Fender...

My wife, who works as a financial regulator, now deems this is the most (possibly only) intelligent guitar forum that I have ever visited

Last edited:

John

Reaction score
You know what that means, boys? Snap 'em up while you can!!! Today's $200 used LP Studio is tomorrow's $1000 "rare, discontinued LP Studio ". Can you say investment grade???;)
Would be nice to have the money to do so........

John

Reaction score
That's for damn sure, not to mention the amount of fake Gibsons that will hit the used market.

Cam

Reaction score
I've talked to the Gibson/Epiphone AMI here a quite a few times over the last few months. In October they said about 10 weeks for their next shipment, but that got delayed and is due to be here this month (Jan 2018). Kinda screwed them over for Christmas, but seeing as its basically the end of January I've given up hope on getting the guitar I wanted from them. I reckon they will get some Epi's at SOME point, but I've just accepted the situation and try not to care too much now.

And then we also can't bring Epi's in from other countries, cause as a rule of thumb because nobody wants to have to deal with CITES. Basically Australia is rubbish as far as importing anything goes.

Also if anyone wants to know, Gallins is the importer for Gibson brands now, and they use Allans Billy Hyde online as their main distribution team.

blunge

Reaction score
Yeah I'd noticed that Epis had fallen off quite a few retailers websites and what with the CITES issue, getting hold of an Epi on ebay might prove fruitful, which is how I came by the Junior. That market is going to be very interesting this year.

wildeman

Reaction score
I really don't think either Gibson or Epi will disappear completely. More likely they will shut down, liquidate all assets and some other big player will acquire the name and pick up from there. We will still have the guitars.

blunge

Reaction score
I think most manufacturers are waiting to see how the replacements for rosewood will go, Fender seem to be leading the charge, but it'll take a while to move. I think Epi will be a good takeover target, I wouldn't be surprised to see Gibson sell them off.

Raiyn

Reaction score
I think most manufacturers are waiting to see how the replacements for rosewood will go, Fender seem to be leading the charge, but it'll take a while to move. I think Epi will be a good takeover target, I wouldn't be surprised to see Gibson sell them off.
They have other brands that will go LONG before Epiphone.

Epiphone is the entry level for Gibby style axes.

Latest posts