price-up ?

• Thread starter Paruwi
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Paruwi

Kraut-Rocker
Reaction score
So.... the new 25% traiffs on Chinese goods and products now apply to all goods and products which left China after 12:01 am Friday (today). Do we expect this affect Epiphone prices?

Please leave the political background out, thanks

Otto99

Reaction score
Sounds like it might, but farmers and large manufacturers are really going to take a hit. And is the EU caught up in this? I know we are, but I didn’t realize it was a global issue.

RTH

Reaction score
I'm sure it will sooner, if not later. Expect prices on used guitars to go up as well. I've noticed that prices on name brand used guitars are already considerably higher than they were a few years ago just due to normal increases in rates on new guitars.

RTH

Reaction score
Sounds like it might, but farmers and large manufacturers are really going to take a hit. And is the EU caught up in this? I know we are, but I didn’t realize it was a global issue.
Is the EU imposing higher tariffs on China? If not, then probably not, though China could increase pricing to other countries to make up for any losses. But I'm not a financial analyst, so I really have no idea .

Raiyn

Reaction score
So.... the new 25% traiffs on Chinese goods and products now apply to all goods and products which left China after 12:01 am Friday (today). Do we expect this affect Epiphone prices?

Please leave the political background out, thanks
It probably will. It certainly won't have the desired effect, that much is certain.

Mark

Reaction score
I found an unusually pro-Trump write-up in an otherwise liberal paper, but it does a decent job explaining how China has purposely done its best to screw us every way they could over the last 25 years and Trump's response to it.

I don't think our Epi prices may go up as I don't see where guitars are included? Although I suppose China "could" raise prices to retaliate for the cost of everything else going up? The tariffs are mainly on metals, but Trump said other products "could be" included?

China's going to have to give in at some point, which is all Trump is asking. The article below gives a bunch of accurate numbers, some of which I was personally involved in during the 90's and my aerospace days. I believe all this will shake out in our favor eventually, we'll just have to grit our teeth for awhile?

https://lat.ms/2WDcBeP

EDIT: I removed the part I wrrote about guitars being screwed in the process, the more I read that everything is mainly focused on metal.

Last edited:

Raiyn

Reaction score
"Good" policy or not, the implementation is haphazard, impetuous, and poorly timed. We need China as a back stop against North Korea doing something dumber than showing off a few missiles. If we piss them off they're likely to let Kim Jong Cartman off his chain and no "negotiation" photo-op will stop the reignition of the Korean War.
kim-jong-un-respect-my-authoritah.jpg

Last edited:

Mark

Reaction score
"Good" policy or not, the implementation is haphazard, impetuous, and poorly timed. We need China as a back stop against North Korea doing something dumber than showing off a few missiles. If we piss them off they're likely to let Kim Jong Cartman off his chain and no "negotiation" photo-op will stop the reignition of the Korean War.
kim-jong-un-respect-my-authoritah.jpg

I could argue this ad nauseum with you because it's exactly what I spent a large chuck of my 43 years in the biz doing. I'm one of the many who set up all those Chinese shops when my employers forced me too because of Clinton's NAFTA bullshit. I set up a great many aerospace shops in Mexico, India and China. All of them bullshit, being run by people with no clue what they were even looking at. Wasting millions of dollars because they didn't understand why certain metals had to be an exact composition, heat treated to a specific strength. Having to be done over and over, pushing deadlines off the scale. And the biggest lie of all, it was WAY cheaper than just being made here where it all started.

I could go on and on with actual specifics (which I suppose some of which could get me arrested for spilling the beans?), but it would take a long novel to make any sense of.

Mark

Reaction score
Why don't you write it ?

I'm long retired now and don't remember what is considered national secrets that could get me locked up? That's the main thing. :naughty:

Or if I'd be stepping on somebody's intellectual property that they could sue the crap out of me for (most likely to happen).

And a visit from the men in black isn't a pleasant experience. A friend of mine went through it a year ago.

Last edited:

Biddlin

Reaction score
I worked for General Motors union
The UAW has been saying buy American for years

I prefer to buy American products when possible and feasible. For some centuries now politicians have used tariffs as a stick and treaties as the carrot at the expense of workers who produce, purchase and consume the goods. it is safe to assume that Caesar is always working in his own best interest which is likely against ours...

Reaction score
I prefer to buy American products when possible and feasible. For some centuries now politicians have used tariffs as a stick and treaties as the carrot at the expense of workers who produce, purchase and consume the goods. it is safe to assume that Caesar is always working in his own best interest which is likely against ours...
I know its not always possible
But I would buy a European car before A Japanese
People buy what they want
Back then they were mainly talking about Automobiles

Otto99

Reaction score
At risk of sounding unpatriotic, I haven’t owned an American car in 25 years. Two main reasons, shoddy build quality and US car makers just don’t make cars that I want. Well, the new upcoming mid engine Corvette rings my bell, but it’s real estate pricey.

Latest posts