Reality Check; Part II

SoCaliJ

Reaction score
Read Reality Check; Part I for context...

https://www.epiphonetalk.com/threads/reality-check-part-i.5274/

While plotting to purchase guitar #3, a Squier Strat w/ Maple fingerboard, I stumbled across a new Epi Les Paul Studio Smokehouse Burst at a local music store, in stock and at the typical price. Now, I'm not one for Bursts of any flavor, but this one really spoke to me aesthetically. I'm usually not taken back by a guitar's visual aesthetics, but I fell in love with this one especially since this music shop had real-world photos with real world lighting...this Epi almost made me forget about getting that Strat.

Anyway, like I posted in Part I, what I'm seeking is a Reality Check; do I really need to add guitar #3 at this point in my guitar life? After seeing that Smokehouse Burst Epi LP Studio, I am not thinking with logic but with lust... I need a reality Check. I can afford this with money I already have, and have the wife's approval.

Again, thank you for your time!

Regards

J

Rick Davey

Reaction score
Really now, that Smokehouse Burst is #4, right? Still want the Strat?

Get down to it. You are playing for personal enjoyment, and you can do that with one guitar. It would be a luxury purchase. The Strat would also be a luxury purchase. So what? It's really all up to you.

SoCaliJ

Reaction score
I should have stated, one or the other, not both. Still, you have a point; one is all I really need and I already have two.

Thank you for that reality check.

J

soulman969

Staff Member
Reaction score
You have two that are nothing like numbers #3 and #4.

I have 3 Epiphones all with P90s. If I can find a LP type with humbuckers I can live with I'll probably buy it but I won't be selling my '56 Gold Top Tribute to do it.

I also have 4 Teles and a G&L ASAT Spc. T-type. Last summer I bought a hard tail Strat as well and I still have all four of those Tele and the ASAT. One is not like another.

Davis Sharp

Reaction score
Don't ask me. I have 13 guitars and I'm probably on the low end of the ranger around here. I think it's OK to explore different guitars and different sounds. You might find something you like better than the slabs.

Some people have large herds of guitars, some have revolving doors (buy, play, sell) and some are OK with just one. As long as the money isn't for necessities and you're not depriving anyone in your family of anything, there's no wrong answer.

Steven Westberg

Reaction score

While plotting to purchase guitar #3, a Squier Strat w/ Maple fingerboard, I stumbled across a new Epi Les Paul Studio Smokehouse Burst at a local music store, in stock and at the typical price. Now, I'm not one for Bursts of any flavor, but this one really spoke to me aesthetically. I'm usually not taken back by a guitar's visual aesthetics, but I fell in love with this one especially since this music shop had real-world photos with real world lighting...this Epi almost made me forget about getting that Strat.

Anyway, like I posted in Part I, what I'm seeking is a Reality Check; do I really need to add guitar #3 at this point in my guitar life? After seeing that Smokehouse Burst Epi LP Studio, I am not thinking with logic but with lust... I need a reality Check. I can afford this with money I already have, and have the wife's approval.

Regards

J
Guitar Acquisition Syndrome!

Daniel Desmarais

Reaction score
“what I'm seeking is a Reality Check”
OK

“do I really need to add guitar #3”
Of course not.

“I can afford this with money I already have, and have the wife's approval.”
You are LATE for buying guitar #3.

IMO you should buy something dissimilar from what you currently have. If that means Strat then get a Strat. IF you get a Squire Strat then make it a Classic Vibe.

Daniel Desmarais

Reaction score
BTW, you really should know better than to come here and seek out any "voice of reason." We're ALL a bunch of guitar junkies talking to each other about how NORMAL our guitar addiction is.

So you have two solid body Les Pauls (#1 & #2), and you want to add a Strat (#3)? Sounds perfectly reasonable so far.

So if I understand you correctly, what I hear you saying is that after you purchase the Squire 60s Classic Vibe (#3) then you STILL won't own an ES, a Tele, a PRS (suitable substitute is an Epiphone DC Pro ;)), or an SG?

You poor bastard. How will you manage to live life?

Honestly, it sounds to me like you have four more guitars that you need to buy.

SoCaliJ

Reaction score
“what I'm seeking is a Reality Check”
OK

“do I really need to add guitar #3”
Of course not.

“I can afford this with money I already have, and have the wife's approval.”
You are LATE for buying guitar #3.

IMO you should buy something dissimilar from what you currently have. If that means Strat then get a Strat. IF you get a Squire Strat then make it a Classic Vibe.

Gave me a good laugh, thanks!

J

SoCaliJ

Reaction score
BTW, you really should know better than to come here and seek out any "voice of reason." We're ALL a bunch of guitar junkies talking to each other about how NORMAL our guitar addiction is.

So you have two solid body Les Pauls (#1 & #2), and you want to add a Strat (#3)? Sounds perfectly reasonable so far.

So if I understand you correctly, what I hear you saying is that after you purchase the Squire 60s Classic Vibe (#3) then you STILL won't own an ES, a Tele, a PRS (suitable substitute is an Epiphone DC Pro ;)), or an SG?

You poor bastard. How will you manage to live life?

Honestly, it sounds to me like you have four more guitars that you need to buy.

Good points. However, an SG is out and will never be considered. A girlfriend from way back had a Gibson SG, and she treated that guitar better than me...

J

Daniel Desmarais

Reaction score
"A girlfriend from way back had a Gibson SG, and she treated that guitar better than me..."

Ad found on Match.com:

"Man seeking woman, age 20-65, any race, for long term relationship including the possibility of marriage. Must own a '59 Gibson Les Paul. Serious inquiries only. Please include a picture of the guitar."

soulman969

Staff Member
Reaction score
Maybe the most amusing thing about both of SoCaliJ's threads is that he came here for counsel on whether or not to buy a certain guitar or guitars.

Guitar forums are like liquor stores. The idea is to sell product not to conduct 12 Step meetings. They promote alcohol, we promote guitar addictions. :D

Raiyn

Reaction score
Good points. However, an SG is out and will never be considered. A girlfriend from way back had a Gibson SG, and she treated that guitar better than me...

J
That has to be the single lamest excuse I've read for not buying an SG (or any axe). You were jealous of a guitar.

G400's are loads of fun.

Last edited:

SoCaliJ

Reaction score
That has to be the single lamest excuse I've read for not buying an SG (or any axe). You were jealous of a guitar.

G400's are loads of fun.

Yes, it sure is lame: because I need to be reminded of the lowest point of my life... :squint:

I'm gonna pass on the SG platform, but all else is open season! :thumb:

Regards

J

dasherf17

Reaction score

Regards

J

My take...if it speaks to you, it's saying something...do it...
If you want the Squier., do that one, too...reason-schmeason...

dasherf17

Reaction score
Really now, that Smokehouse Burst is #4, right? Still want the Strat?

Get down to it. You are playing for personal enjoyment, and you can do that with one guitar. It would be a luxury purchase. The Strat would also be a luxury purchase. So what? It's really all up to you.

Even guys in bands, playing for the masses as they may, are there for their own enjoyment, passion, etc.

Latest posts