Show/Tell us about what Santa brought you 2023

• Thread starter 3bolt79
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

3bolt79

Reaction score
It’s that time of year to show us your Christmas haul. What did you get?

I got a Freddie Mercury Biography and a Behrenger EQ Pedal from a couple of guys at the Gretsch forum.

I got a coffee table History of Rock book (it’s huge, like an encyclopedia) from my friend Suzanne.

And my buddy Victor gave me this…
IMG_0659.jpeg
It’s the white Strat hanging behind my son, who is holding his Christmas present.

I also got a 200 dollar gift card from my Dad, and a 100 dollar one from my mom. I pretty much made out like a bandit.

Also, the coolest thing about the white Strat is that it’s the first time a friend has ever given me a guitar as a gift.

Fullmoon 1971

Reaction score
Not so much from Santa but from a lovely young lady that I know
53426324281_b0036bca3d_o.jpg

imnotcreative

Reaction score
Santa was a bit late to the party, so the delivery guy had to do the job. This is what came in yesterday
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe and Two Notes Torpedo Captor X.
The amp is a little bigger than i thought so i have to rearrange some wallhangers for my guitars. Sweet sounding amp, though a bit loud unattenuated, hence the Two Notes Torpedo. I have been messing around with the T-N software a bit yesterday and it has quite a bit of options, so i think i'll be messing around with that the next couple of days
IMG_20231229_224232.jpg

imnotcreative

Reaction score
LOL.....ya' think. Hope your neighbors are kind souls. :rofl:
The nearly 90 year old man living next to me is getting a bit deaf so i don't think he'll complain much. The other neighbours i'm not too sure about.
With the Two notes at full load i can turn the amp up over half way and it's about normal conversation levels of volume. It also has a headphone out for silent play late in the evening.
Yesterday i've been messing around with some cab sims to see what they sound like through the headphones. So far i have put a Blues Deluxe, vibrochamp, Marshall 4x12 greenback,Marshall 4x12 creamback, Roland Jazz Chorus and Peavey 5150 cab sims onto my presets. All sound good but i want to try and do some tweaking to the microphone placement (in software) to see what changes there are and which sounds best to my ears.
That probably is going to be a long project with all the options..

imnotcreative

Reaction score
Some have claimed that attenuators are hard on an amp. Any truth to that or is it just more myth than reality.
I don't know, might be but by seeing so many available you'd think by now they have worked it out. Several brands sell amps with build in attenuators like Magnatone, Revv, Rivera, i don't think they would sell them if they hadn't had atleast some trust in reliability
And in the recording studio a friend of mine uses a lot they have used attenuators for years and their amps still work fine.
In any case if something does go wrong parts are easily replaced on this amp. All through hole components as far as i know and i know a shop which sells just about every part available, so i'm not worried.

Last edited:

soulman969

Staff Member
Reaction score
I don't know, might be but by seeing so many available you'd think by now they have worked it out. Several brands sell amps with build in attenuators like Magnatone, Revv, Rivera, i don't think they would sell them if they hadn't had atleast some trust in reliability
And in the recording studio a friend of mine uses a lot they have used attenuators for years and their amps still work fine.
In any case if something does go wrong parts are easily replaced on this amp. All surface mount components as far as i know and i know a shop which sells just about every part available, so i'm not worried.
I have friends who've used them as well so all I'm going by is stuff I've read in forums and of course if someone posted it well then it must be true right? :rolleyes:

Maybe it's just the power tubes that suffer a bit. :dunno:

imnotcreative

Reaction score
I have friends who've used them as well so all I'm going by is stuff I've read in forums and of course if someone posted it well then it must be true right? :rolleyes:

Maybe it's just the power tubes that suffer a bit. :dunno:

From what i know the tubes mostly wear out because you push them more than you would unattenuated. The entire amp is still working as designed and should wear about just as fast as it would being pushed to the same levels unattenuated. Just at lower volume levels.

I see it as this, you can drive a car with the engine (amp) going at 6500rpm and go 100mp/h ( Decibel). Or you could drive with the engine at 6500rpm and drive 50mp/h when in a lower gear. The engine still does the same amount of work but the speed (sound levels with attenuator) is much lower. The attenuator acting like the gearbox driving the speaker (wheels)

3bolt79

Reaction score
Three of my amps have low power settings. The other one is only 10 watts. All have master volume controls. Don’t know how the tubes fair, but my Mesa and Marshall are hardly used at home, unless I’m Jammin’ with another guitarist.

soulman969

Staff Member
Reaction score
From what i know the tubes mostly wear out because you push them more than you would unattenuated. The entire amp is still working as designed and should wear about just as fast as it would being pushed to the same levels unattenuated. Just at lower volume levels.

I see it as this, you can drive a car with the engine (amp) going at 6500rpm and go 100mp/h ( Decibel). Or you could drive with the engine at 6500rpm and drive 50mp/h when in a lower gear. The engine still does the same amount of work but the speed (sound levels with attenuator) is much lower. The attenuator acting like the gearbox driving the speaker (wheels)
That settles it. I don't know what the hell I'm talking about......:facepalm::rofl:

soulman969

Staff Member
Reaction score
Santa FedEx dropped off another gift today courtesy of AMS. They had one and only one of these in their outlet zone listed as non-factory sealed offered at an outstanding price and willing to do their 12 month 0% interest deal for me too boot. Guess it pays to have Rock Star status with them after all. zZounds will do the same but since I bought the PRS SE DGT from them I decided to spread my buying around.
1703986429521.jpeg
It's only a 10" driver w/four 2" mid/high speakers mounted in a vertical array in front of the driver. It's a very unique cab designed to allow the driver to be more efficient at producing the low end and offer much better off axis presence for the player and the band. The whole rig including the head and speaker weighs just 23lbs. It's a "one hander".

Can't get over how much volume and bottom end the little guy can push out even at 175w. I've also run the head through my 4ohm 212 cab at 350w and I can also run both cabs simultaneously if I ever need that. It amazes me how far bass rigs have come over the past 15 years or so in terms of power, size and weight vs performance. My old back rejoices.

I already have a nearly new Magellan MG350 head and no need for another so I'll be selling a brand new one in it's original box with it's 3 year warranty for a very good price. If interested send me a PM.

Latest posts