Show/Tell us about what Santa brought you 2023

• Thread starter 3bolt79
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Guitarman

Reaction score
I actually met a member of this forum who was trying to decide what effects pedal to get his daughter. As a "newbie" to the guitar world, I decided to send her my unused mint Boss ME-20 Multi-effects pedal in suburban Chicago, from Columbia,SC.

The season of giving is what it's all about. The pedal will be sent to Anna after We return from our yearly after Christmas week in Myrtle Beach. Rock and Roll Anna.

soulman969

Staff Member
Reaction score
I've been wondering for a while why I don't see guitar cabs with tweeters or mids.
Probably because of a guitars frequency range vs that of a bass. A single 10" or 12" speaker or multiples of them reproduce the frequency spectrum of a guitar fairly well. Bass requires a far more extended range especially for frequencies as low as 30Hz and as high as 20KHz.

It's tough to get a single speaker to cover all of that range. Way back when bassist never concerned themselves much with high end. It was all about having a big round full bottom end so we gravitated towards 15" and 18" speakers. Then came '70 funk with it's slapping and snapping pull offs and bassists began looking for rigs that could pull that off producing more extended high end harmonics. We can thank Jaco Pastorious for much of that as well.

So ported cab with horns, dome tweeters, and even smaller drivers paired with a 15" driver and crossovers appeared. It's been continuing ever since. Now days bassists use quite a few speaker configurations to get the sound they want. I know guys who play a lot of different venues who have multiple speaker cabs ranging from 4x10, 2x12, 15/6, to single cabs in 10", 12" and 15" sizes they can use singly or pair.

Bass heads power output and EQ sections have also been expanded. I started out with a 30w tube bass amp, then a 50w, a 100w and last a 300w with eight 10" speakers in a sealed cab. Bigger and louder was needed back then. Now bassists are playing 800w-1200w Class D digital SS bass heads in larger venues and 300w-500w in smaller ones. The one I have now produces 350w @ 4 ohms and 175w @ 8ohms.

For guitar I use a single or dual 12" speakers and amps that produces 15w-60w of power output. Most guitarists are into how to create dirt and distortion while bassists are usually looking for max clean headroom and HPF and LPF filters to tailor the frequency response of their rig to the room they're playing. If you play both like I do it's like living in two very different worlds with much different gear requirements.

macca9091

Reaction score
It’s that time of year to show us your Christmas haul. What did you get?

I got a Freddie Mercury Biography and a Behrenger EQ Pedal from a couple of guys at the Gretsch forum.

I got a coffee table History of Rock book (it’s huge, like an encyclopedia) from my friend Suzanne.

And my buddy Victor gave me this…
View attachment 23991
It’s the white Strat hanging behind my son, who is holding his Christmas present.

I also got a 200 dollar gift card from my Dad, and a 100 dollar one from my mom. I pretty much made out like a bandit.

Also, the coolest thing about the white Strat is that it’s the first time a friend has ever given me a guitar as a gift.
Very nice haul! And a very good mate!

My Xmas coincided with a NGD, as well!

Life is good when your wife puts in the work, specs your collection, polls your friends and sticks this under the tree!

Hoping we all got what we wanted, this year!

Attachments

• IMG_6610.jpeg
    IMG_6610.jpeg
    190.4 KB · Views: 5

3bolt79

Reaction score
Very nice haul! And a very good mate!

My Xmas coincided with a NGD, as well!

Life is good when your wife puts in the work, specs your collection, polls your friends and sticks this under the tree!

Hoping we all got what we wanted, this year!
That’s awesome! Givin’ me GAS!

Latest posts