Show your Amps...

• Thread starter Paruwi
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Raiyn

Reaction score
My Bitmo modded Epi Valve Jr. has a Weber Hemp speaker, a Champ transformer and JJ tubes. It's my home practice rig.
:photos:
R.6e8b406d1cb27f1b959f551a984a3a43

Welcome. We would love to see some pictures.

Edison

Reaction score
Finding a Vox Super Berkeley III really whet my desire to pursue other amps in the Thomas line. I've been decidedly smitten with them. Since being on my radar I've been fortunate enough to find exceptional models of each. I passed on their 'Student' starter amp, but sought the 'Pathfinder' up to a 'Beatle' rig. The latter also being found through Guitar Center, of all places.

I have a few doubles in the Thomas Vox collection, finding it difficult to turn down a great find especially if it's in even better condition, or a rarer model (like the Royal Guardsman or Buckingham).

The stand-out in the collection is the 1965 AC50 'Big Box' rig, something I never thought I'd find or be able to afford. A British-made JMI Vox in near mint condition.

.. Also, in having my eye out for local finds I took a leap of faith on a 1968 Gretsch Fury amp. It had some technical issues and I wasn't that familiar with them yet, but being in such great cosmetic condition I took the risk. Luckily it wasn't that expensive to fix, and when I found out how rare they are I went ahead and had it fully overhauled. It still has the original RCA tubes.

Finding out Gretsch amps were made by Valco of Chicago, and hearing the results of the fully functional Fury, I continued picking up a couple more models from the same era; specifically a '63 6162 twin-reverb, and more recently a '61 6151, a tiny titan. Both also in like-new condition.
I'm inclined to quit while ahead on Gretsch amps, having a nice range of size and sound; baby, mama, and papa bear.
_____

All helpful, considering more recently I've fallen down the Magnatone rabbit hole. I found a really clean c1965 Magnatone/Estey M10A Custom model locally, having heard good things about Maggies in general. I'm not that curious about the classic 50s Magna models, which do seem more popular, but the short-lived M Custom line employed some bold and innovative design choices. A reinforced injection molded top with integrated handle, which easily flips around letting you choose whether or not to hide the control panel. Overall slimmer and more modern, but most importantly; Magnatone's signature vibrato and array speaker configurations. An outstanding line but only in production from 1963 to 1966 (roughly).
I became obsessed with the latter, and Magnatone's continued refinements in full fidelity amps, something that seemed largely abandoned by virtually every amp manufacturer by 1970. Also, being one of the first purveyors of panoramic stereo amps, I wanted to put together a steady rig that takes full advantage of channel separation.
As a result of that deeper dive I am currently in the throes of pairing up 2 M7A amps, both from different sources but made the same year (1966).
As basic as they came in the M Custom line, with no on-board effects, just 38 watts of vintage valves and hand-wired circuitry from Sepulveda CA.

Since these are both later M7 models they did not have the factory tweeters to accompany the 15" speaker (evidently dropped as a cost-reduction), but as they did not change the cabinet dimensions I've modified these to have 4" DS18 bullet tweeters. I also cut a 5" port in both cabinets to let the 15" speakers breathe more. Both amps are at Deltronics now, getting cleaned and overhauled. New 15" American Vintage Warehouse speakers are being installed, along with the high-powered tweeters. Crossover capacitors will split the higher frequencies off from the big speaker, and lastly; volume pots installed inside the cabinet, that will enable me to balance the output of those tweeters.

The results should be true stereo with full fidelity. .. That's the goal anyway.
Both amps will be plugged into either my Vox LE Tonelab or my Boss ME-80 (I drift between the two), and will be set a good distance from each other in the room. The arsenal of stereo effects and capabilities in both pedal systems, preset and customizable, is more than enough to play with.

20230828_160446~2.jpg20230828_160428~2.jpg20230416_151946.jpg20230416_152053.jpgoriginal_a8f8488f-449e-467a-b4a8-fc03b87c2d4f_20230426_092153 copy.jpg20230511_152612.jpg20230511_152449.jpg20230713_211526~2.jpg20230713_211538~2.jpg20230713_211615~2.jpg

Last edited:

Brian Krashpad

Reaction score
Here's all of them, as of about a year and a half ago.

All Amps Driveway 2022.jpg

I still have all of the above except for the baby Vox, which I felt was redundant having bought the AC30.

This last week I added a Marshall head, a MOSFET Lead 100 (model 3210):

Marshall Halfstack 3210 Lead 100 MOSFET head & 1510 4x10 cab.jpg

I believe that's all of them. ;)

BGood

Reaction score
Finding a Vox Super Berkeley III really whet my desire to pursue other amps in the Thomas line. I've been decidedly smitten with them. Since being on my radar I've been fortunate enough to find exceptional models of each. I passed on their 'Student' starter amp, but sought the 'Pathfinder' up to a 'Beatle' rig. The latter also being found through Guitar Center, of all places.

I have a few doubles in the Thomas Vox collection, finding it difficult to turn down a great find especially if it's in even better condition, or a rarer model (like the Royal Guardsman or Buckingham).

The stand-out in the collection is the 1965 AC50 'Big Box' rig, something I never thought I'd find or be able to afford. A British-made JMI Vox in near mint condition.

.. Also, in having my eye out for local finds I took a leap of faith on a 1968 Gretsch Fury amp. It had some technical issues and I wasn't that familiar with them yet, but being in such great cosmetic condition I took the risk. Luckily it wasn't that expensive to fix, and when I found out how rare they are I went ahead and had it fully overhauled. It still has the original RCA tubes.

Finding out Gretsch amps were made by Valco of Chicago, and hearing the results of the fully functional Fury, I continued picking up a couple more models from the same era; specifically a '63 6162 twin-reverb, and more recently a '61 6151, a tiny titan. Both also in like-new condition.
I'm inclined to quit while ahead on Gretsch amps, having a nice range of size and sound; baby, mama, and papa bear.
_____

All helpful, considering more recently I've fallen down the Magnatone rabbit hole. I found a really clean c1965 Magnatone/Estey M10A Custom model locally, having heard good things about Maggies in general. I'm not that curious about the classic 50s Magna models, which do seem more popular, but the short-lived M Custom line employed some bold and innovative design choices. A reinforced injection molded top with integrated handle, which easily flips around letting you choose whether or not to hide the control panel. Overall slimmer and more modern, but most importantly; Magnatone's signature vibrato and array speaker configurations. An outstanding line but only in production from 1963 to 1966 (roughly).
I became obsessed with the latter, and Magnatone's continued refinements in full fidelity amps, something that seemed largely abandoned by virtually every amp manufacturer by 1970. Also, being one of the first purveyors of panoramic stereo amps, I wanted to put together a steady rig that takes full advantage of channel separation.
As a result of that deeper dive, I am currently I'm in the throes of pairing up 2 M7A amps, both from different sources but from the same year (1966).
As basic as they came in the M Custom line, with no on-board effects, just 38 watts of vintage valves and hand-wired circuitry from Sepulveda CA.

Since these are both later M7 models they did not have the factory tweeters to accompany the 15" speaker (evidently dropped as a cost-reduction), but as they did not change the cabinet dimensions I've modified these to have 4" DS18 bullet tweeters. I also cut a 5" port in both cabinets to let the 15" speakers breathe more. Both amps are at Deltronics now, getting cleaned and overhauled. New 15" American Vintage Warehouse speakers are being installed, along with the high-powered tweeters. Crossover capacitors will split the higher frequencies off from the big speaker, and lastly; volume pots installed inside the cabinet, that will enable me to balance the output of those tweeters.

The results should be true stereo with full fidelity. .. That's the goal anyway.
Both amps will be plugged into either my Vox LE Tonelab or my Boss ME-80 (I drift between the two), and will be set a good distance from each other in the room. The arsenal of stereo effects and capabilities in both pedal systems, preset and customizable, is more than enough to play with.

View attachment 22628View attachment 22637View attachment 22629View attachment 22630View attachment 22631View attachment 22632View attachment 22633View attachment 22634View attachment 22635View attachment 22636
That's not a rabbit hole you fell into, it's a kangaroo hole !

DECEMBER

Reaction score
Resize_20230925_144715_5898.jpg
Main amp is the Revv G20, used as the preamp, FX send -> EQ -> stereo FX -> FX returns of G20 + Peavey Invective MH or ValveKing II 20 combo for stereo.
The Marshall Valvestate 40V 8040 is just being a cab, holding a Celestion G12H-75 Creamback. Eminence DV-77 in the VK, Eminence GA10-SC64 under the G20.
Ashdown EBLite EVO III 12" 220W bass amp and Blackstar U250 15" (not pictured).
Ashly parametric EQ in guitar amp FX loops. Tapco graphic EQ in bass amp FX loops.
BBE Maxcom (gate/comp/sonic maximizer) last in FX loop with guitar and bass.

Stillsour

Reaction score
I don't have an amp anymore. Kinda miss it. I it just looks cool to have one. I'm using a modeler and FrFR setup. It's lame looking, sounds good, but boring.

Stillsour

Reaction score
"Sounds good, is good."
the-way-713x397.png
You're not wrong. I have "every amp" really. And splitting to a second FrFr is relatively cheap compared to an amp. The Headrush FRFRs are great. I'd even consider the new Spark cab as a second one, for the look.

Raiyn

Reaction score
You're not wrong. I have "every amp" really. And splitting to a second FrFr is relatively cheap compared to an amp. The Headrush FRFRs are great. I'd even consider the new Spark cab as a second one, for the look.
Exactly. I went with the Nextone Special because I could get "all the amps" and I already had a pile of pedals.

If I didn't have the Captain Insano board I have, or played out, I'd be looking at that Fender Tonemaster Pro floorboard harder than I am already..

Nduro

Reaction score
I just brought a package with the new Blackstar S One 50W amplifier. I bought it for a great price at a local music store, it's brand new (24 month warranty) and I paid about $400 for it

Attachments

• IMG_20231109_094743_copy_1200x1600.jpg
    IMG_20231109_094743_copy_1200x1600.jpg
    540.1 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Reaction score
I am starting 2024 off with my first and ONLY gear purchase of the year... Yes, I really mean that.

I have been watching a USA-made Fender Blues Junior for the past three weeks. The seller was asking $300. Today I offered him $250 and he accepted it!
I am thrilled with the purchase.

It cleaned up well, for the most part. There is schmutz on the control panel that I could not remove but I guess it adds "character"?

Blues_Jr_Cleaned.jpg

H = 1997, K = November if the information I found online is correct.
Blues_Jr_QA_Sticker.jpg

It is missing the flat nut and washer for the power switch. If anyone knows what size these things take, I would appreciate being educated in that regard. The only thing I have been able to find so far is the complete switch assembly with the aforementioned nut and washer.
Missing_Flat_Nut_Washer.jpg

It makes the Tele and 335 sound amazing.
Blues_Jr_Guitars.jpg

As ever, thank you for your indulgence.

Brian Krashpad

Reaction score
I am starting 2024 off with my first and ONLY gear purchase of the year... Yes, I really mean that.

I have been watching a USA-made Fender Blues Junior for the past three weeks. The seller was asking $300. Today I offered him $250 and he accepted it!
I am thrilled with the purchase.

It cleaned up well, for the most part. There is schmutz on the control panel that I could not remove but I guess it adds "character"?

View attachment 24141

H = 1997, K = November if the information I found online is correct.
View attachment 24142

It is missing the flat nut and washer for the power switch. If anyone knows what size these things take, I would appreciate being educated in that regard. The only thing I have been able to find so far is the complete switch assembly with the aforementioned nut and washer.
View attachment 24143

It makes the Tele and 335 sound amazing.
View attachment 24144

As ever, thank you for your indulgence.
Congrats! I just had a deal on a Laney LC30 1x12 tube combo go south. Guitar karma strikes again, not meant to be. At least, not yet. (If the seller gets the amp's issues sorted, he's promised to get back to me.)

Latest posts