Show your Amps...

• Thread starter Paruwi
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BlankinLoud

Reaction score
Here's the whole pile of them. :D

full

cybermgk

Reaction score
Blackheart BH5H (I modded to be voiced marshally, added a MV, standby and a Bitmo Triple bypass)
ZGdtl9.jpg

Hotone Heart Attack
8qYDUY.jpg

Peavey Valve King II Micro Head
vKisSw.jpg

Fishman Loudbox 100
xJe0gR.jpg

Ampeg GVT15H on top of Marshall DSL15H (Modded Red ch from Lead2 to Lead 1 with a little less gain) on Blackstar ID:60 TVP on Avatar 4x12. To the right is Rivera Chubster 55 with the Bad Cat Unleash on top. Also a Blackstar HT-1RH which is now someone elses.
na8z.jpg

Last edited:

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Blackheart BH5H (I modded to be voiced marshally, added a MV, standby and a Bitmo Triple bypass)
ZGdtl9.jpg

Hotone Heart Attack
8qYDUY.jpg

Peavey Valve King II Micro Head
vKisSw.jpg

Fishman Loudbox 100
xJe0gR.jpg

Ampeg GVT15H on top of Marshall DSL15H (Modded Red ch from Lead2 to Lead 1 with a little less gain) on Blackstar ID:60 TVP on Avatar 4x12. To the right is Rivera Chubster 55 with the Bad Cat Unleash on top. Also a Blackstar HT-1RH which is now someone elses.
na8z.jpg
How do you like that Valve King? I've been tempted to check 'em out, but I'm trying to resist the urge.

cybermgk

Reaction score
How do you like that Valve King? I've been tempted to check 'em out, but I'm trying to resist the urge.
Sent you a PM with a link to a long review. Didn't post it here, cause it's another forum (albeit on of a family with this one).

In simple terms. I like it a lot, in the role I use it. As a great sounding Living Room and headphone practice amp. Though it can do more than that. Really the best Headphone tap I've heard on a tube amp. I like it's tone, specially the dirt better than the Classic 30 I had. Since that review, I found that it's FX loop signal is a LITTLE hot.

cybermgk

Reaction score
That Hotone looks interesting. The company website doesn't seem to mention if it's tube or not.
It's SS. But it is pretty darn good sounding and responding for a SS. Gave my brother the purple wind, and it is a little noisier (hiss) than the Heart Attack. Watch the vids on the Heart Attack. It is their newest, and imho best sounding. Here is a review I did elsewhere on it

K, I really didn't need this. Happy with my current ampage. But this was on the Bay, with a Best offer accepted, new, and they took my $90 offer.

So, I have a new amp.

Specs
✪ Sound inspired by Legendary Mesa Boogie Rectifier*
✪ 5w Class AB Amplifier Head
✪ Extremely compact configuration for portability
✪ High quality tone with Volume and Gain controls
✪ 3 Band EQ controls for shaping your tone
✪ Speaker out can automatically fit cabinets of different impedances (4-16Ω)
✪ FX LOOP for using external effects
✪ Headphone output jack is very convenient for practicing and recording
✪ Aux In jack can let you play with an external music player
✪ 18V DC power supply (Adapter included)
✪ Power Output: 5 Watts
✪ Dimensions: 128mm (W) x 75mm (D) x 59.5mm (H)
✪ Weight: 440 g

http://www.hotoneaudio.com/nanolegacy/heartattack.html

Feels very solid. Knobs turn with quite a bit of resistance, but feel smooth. It is SMALL. Fits in my palm.

This is definitely a one trick pony, mostly. You really can't get a great clean tone out of it. In fact, you have to put the gain all the way off, AND roll the volume nob on the guitar back a bit to not have any breakup. And then. it is a little dull, lifeless and muddy, no matter the EQ.

But, it is not meant for that imho. It is meant to be a high gain amp, a Mesa analog. And, on that it delivers pretty darn well. I was very pleasantly surprised by the tone AND the feel. The amp sounds pretty darn good. Fits right in that Classic metal/Hard rock to modern metal and hard rock tonal areas. Even does a good crunch tone as well.

I haven't had much Rectifier experience. Played one twice for 15-30 minutes, and of course youtube. Hits pretty close to some of the driven tone of the Mesa. Definitely in the same vein, bit of that sizzle. There is a little of that SS buzziness as it gets cranked more and more on the gain, but it is much better than a lot of SS and modeler amps out there, imho. And, they make it fairly into that Mesa sizzle.

It has a surprisingly tube like tone, and a bit of the feel. What surprised me the most, pleasantly was the responsiveness. Really responds well to pick attack change, rolling off the volume and was amazingly easy to get pinch harmonics. I was also, very surprised by the string separation through the amp. Chords didn't mush, but you could hear each string fairly well.

Overall, through my 1x12 and 4x12, this amp sounded more than good enough to gig with, for the right music genres. Also recordable if mic'ing the cab.

EQ works, but the knobs are so small, you have to just move them a little, and it is more sweep on the pot than you would think. They effect enough change that I can easily dial in some really bad tone to sweet spot with the cab used.

The Line out/Headphone tap sounds like arse though. Ugh, by itself, almost unuseable. I used a cheap ADA speaker emulation box, and that made it barely passable tone through headphones. Not great, or even good, but useable.

Was also very quiet amp, and took a Zoom MS70 Chorus/Delay/Reverb, Hum Debugger and Boss Fender 63 Verb pedal very well in the built-in loop. Loop actually works great.

I've played worse sounding amps, that cost more. It is a one trickish pony, but it does that one trick pretty darn well. Sounds easily as good, maybe a little better than many amp sim VSTs I've used. Sounds as good as some better pedals through a clean amp, and almost as good as my Blackstar ID:60 TVP (though a WHOLE lot les versatile, and a little les tube-like). Provides very nice, mesa-ish low gain to very high gain tone, at home levels. Just not real versatile.

I'd give it a B to B+ for the quality of that one trick.

The MP3 and Vid on Hotone's site, linked above is pretty darn accurate. I actually think it has more, though fairly tight, bottom end and fatness to the tone, than shown.

Alty

Reaction score
No pics yet but I'll try and sort some as I know pics are the staple diet of the forum....:)

Fender Mustang II
Marshall MB-30 (Bass)
Peavey 158

Bill

Reaction score
13939333916_605cdcef44_h.jpg

Left to right:

Fender Champ 600 Reissue modified (by me) to 5E1/5F1 Champ configuration playing through a Raven cab with 12", 4 ohm Fender/Eminence speaker;

Trainwreck Express clone (built by me) playing through a Crate 4x12 loaded with Celestion G12M-25 Greenback Reissues;

5F6A Bassman clone (built by me) with Weber Alnico speakers;

Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue heavily modified (by me) with an Eminence Cannabis Rex.

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
13939333916_605cdcef44_h.jpg

Left to right:

Fender Champ 600 Reissue modified (by me) to 5E1/5F1 Champ configuration playing through a Raven cab with 12", 4 ohm Fender/Eminence speaker;

Trainwreck Express clone (built by me) playing through a Crate 4x12 loaded with Celestion G12M-25 Greenback Reissues;

5F6A Bassman clone (built by me) with Weber Alnico speakers;

Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue heavily modified (by me) with an Eminence Cannabis Rex.
Wish I was able to build & modify amps. My near vision is pretty much nonexistent anymore.

eS.G.

Reaction score
amped_zpsbc154e0d.jpg

Fender Mustang I
Peavey ValveKing Royal 8 (with JEnsen Brown Back)
Hartke B600 (bass boomer)--minus the grill---it would vibrate and buzzed--now it moves air like a JET!
the Angel, rare, Polytone 1970 2x12 2 Channel W/ factory reverb and chorus 120 Watts.....pure Jazz HEAVEN

Not Pictured --the pocket amps-- VOX AC1 Rythm and Danelectro Honeytone

Last edited:

RTH

Reaction score
Is anyone familiar with an older 1980's-ish Rhodes solid state combo amp? I used to have one, but I cant find ANYTHING about them on the internet. That amp was awesome.

Latest posts