Show your Epiphones

• Thread starter Paruwi
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

RTH

Reaction score
Helllo all,
I'm a new guy here so I thought I'd kill two stones with one bird by posting a pic of my Epi. and introduce myself.
First the intro...
Hi I'm Shawn and I am a guitar addict from Maryland AKA. The ice planet of Hoth! I'm also a member of MLP which is how I found this cool site. My Epiphone and my favorite guitar is my 2004 Ace Frehley Custom that I found New Old Stock back in 2010. Although it sounded sweet in stock form, It sounds even sweeter since I installed a complete 50's style wiring kit from Jonsey Blues which included, Russian PIO caps, Switchcraft switch & jack and matched CTS 500k pots including a push pull bridge tone pot that allows me to switch the middle pup on or off in any pup combination allowing for some killer tone possibilities. The only other mods were the addition of a Tusk nut and a set if Schaller strap locks.

ShawnView attachment 472

Welcome aboard, Shawn! Can you tell me more about the Gibson SG? Is that a Kahler trem? Stock or aftermarket and what year? I'm a big fan of locking trems and used to have an early 1980's Norlin era SG with a factory Kahler.

RTH

Reaction score
Turquoisereflector1_zpse0df4167.jpg

This is sweet! Love the turquoise gits!

Darth-Paul

Reaction score
Helllo all,
I'm a new guy here so I thought I'd kill two stones with one bird by posting a pic of my Epi. and introduce myself.
First the intro...
Hi I'm Shawn and I am a guitar addict from Maryland AKA. The ice planet of Hoth! I'm also a member of MLP which is how I found this cool site. My Epiphone and my favorite guitar is my 2004 Ace Frehley Custom that I found New Old Stock back in 2010. Although it sounded sweet in stock form, It sounds even sweeter since I installed a complete 50's style wiring kit from Jonsey Blues which included, Russian PIO caps, Switchcraft switch & jack and matched CTS 500k pots including a push pull bridge tone pot that allows me to switch the middle pup on or off in any pup combination allowing for some killer tone possibilities. The only other mods were the addition of a Tusk nut and a set if Schaller strap locks.

ShawnView attachment 472
Hello and welcome :)

Great guitars !!

Shawn

Reaction score
Welcome aboard, Shawn! Can you tell me more about the Gibson SG? Is that a Kahler trem? Stock or aftermarket and what year? I'm a big fan of locking trems and used to have an early 1980's Norlin era SG with a factory Kahler.
Thanks for the welcome RTH. The Kahler and the EMG pups were installed by the previous original owner. It is one of the Elite USA models that were made (iirc) from 87-89 or 90 and were only available in pearl white and sunset pearl which was a pinkish red. They came stock with "Spotlight" humbuckers, gold hardware, a fine tuning stop tail piece, standard Tune o Matic bridge and a locking nut. The stock controls were 2 vol. 1 tone and a coil tap switch. It was my first Gibby and it played great but unfortunately, I had to sell it a couple years ago.

Shawn

BGood

Reaction score
Hey Wombat, how do you like your Special P90 ? I've had one for three years now and just love it. Upgraded tuners and nut, then put a set of those in her.

57 Wraptail Pickup Set
Wound to 8.2K for the bridge and 7.3K (approximate) for the neck.
A2 magnets in the bridge position and A4s in the neck position.

2luqaea.jpg

tragewombat

Reaction score
Hey Wombat, how do you like your Special P90 ? I've had one for three years now and just love it. Upgraded tuners and nut, then put a set of those in her.

57 Wraptail Pickup Set
Wound to 8.2K for the bridge and 7.3K (approximate) for the neck.
A2 magnets in the bridge position and A4s in the neck position.

Mine is still stock apart from the tuners (put in some schallers). I probably play this guitar more than the JBGT and it pretty much forced my Squier CVC tele into early retirement. It was a crazy impulse buy at the time (certainly given that I had to have it shipped across the Atlantic and payed more on transport than on the guitar itself) but I certainly don't regret it. The reason it gets played so much has probably something to do with it's no nonsense status. I keep my JBGT secure in a case (hey I have kids age 5 and 8), the Special I on the other hand is always floating around the house (it's light enough for my kids to handle it somewhat semi-securely) . It has some dings and scratches but that just adds personality. I also find it to be pleasant sounding unplugged and I often play it that way. And plugged in it easily goes from nice-n-clean to filth.

I'm not saying it's better than the JBGT and the tuners were definitely crapola, but man I like that guitar

BGood

Reaction score
It really is a sleeper. At the price it sells, everybody should have one.
Cork sniffer don't know what they're missing and it is better that way for us peasants.

gsmacleod

Reaction score
It really is a sleeper. At the price it sells, everybody should have one.
Cork sniffer don't know what they're missing and it is better that way for us peasants.

I've been tempted by these for a while; I really want a '57 TV Yellow Jr but perhaps I'll settle on one of these at some point. Great looking guitars; probably would own one if I had actually laid my hands on one.

Shane

Latest posts