Show your Epiphones

• Thread starter Paruwi
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Supersonic

Reaction score
I just bought this Epiphone Chet Atkins SST Custom a couple of weeks ago and I'm totally in love with it. I'm a 50-something bass player who's occasionally dabbled in guitar and I'm now doing more of it because guitar is more fun when playing alone and between Covid and not getting to know any musicians since moving to Boston I don't really have much opportunity for jamming.
ChetAtkinsSST.jpg

Well you don't see one of those everyday. Cool guitar and welcome to the forum.

Z Roberts

Reaction score
Well you don't see one of those everyday. Cool guitar and welcome to the forum.
I found one on Craigslist and really liked the idea. Went to look at it and found that it had no case and it showed. It looked as if it had been thrown in the back of a van with the amps for many, many gigs. (Definition of "Roadie": Someone who didn't pay for the gear they're throwing into the back of that van".) It was only $300.00 but I wouldn't have bought it for half that. But I liked how it played enough that I started searching on Craigslist, eBay and Reverb for one. Paid off after a few weeks and I got this very nice example which did indeed come with the original hard case.

Raiyn

Reaction score
(Definition of "Roadie": Someone who didn't pay for the gear they're throwing into the back of that van".)
Hey now. I was always very careful with the gear I toted off stage. In fact, there was usually a band member (usually the bass player earning his keep) stationed at the van that would load it after I placed it in front of them. What they did after that, well....

60CycleHum

Reaction score
8502E135-7DD4-470B-AECF-A9A2CE0209A6.jpeg

Hey Everyone: EpiTawk virgin, first post. My name is Eric and I’m from LA. Been playing for 40 years and was in many bands beginning in high school, at UCLA, then post-college and into my 30s. Even played on the Sunset Strip. But the “I could make it” dreams faded and that’s fine. It’s been mainly jam-with-friends and bar band sit-ins since. Still play daily and love it, love slide (both stand up and lap) and open/alternate tunings in addition to standard eadgbe.

I’ll freely admit to being a mildly infected cork-sniffer since my early playing days because back then, many (if not most) imported guitars I would try at were pretty terrible, often unplayable and not really worth going to the expense of having one worked on to make it rise to the level of “merely shitty”.

Owned many a nice guitar over the years. First was a Takamine, a 000-1 replica, a perfect copy down to the curvature of the Martin headstock. A great guitar, even for an import. ;) After it was stolen from my car in ‘96, I replaced it with the real thing. Have (or have had) multiple Gibsons, Fenders, Martins, Taylors, G&L, a Rickenbacker 330 and an O’ahu Tonemaster lap slide. Mainly been a Fender tube guy for amps with a smattering of MusicMan, Peaveys among other hybrids and solid states. My around-the-house amp right now is a 5 watt Stage Right tube unit (1 x 12ax7 + 1 x 6L6) with a Jensen Special Design 8” and believe it or not, its awesome, basically a Champ with just volume and tone chicken heads.

The surprising quality of that amp (being a MiC product), indirectly led me back to Epis. Back in ‘87, I traded in my Rick 330 on an ‘86 Gibson 335 in tobacco sunburst. Awesome guitar played at tons of gigs that I very reluctantly parted with (sniff, sniff) when our first kid was about to be born 15 years ago.

Over the next decade, the cost to try to replace that 335 slowly rose beyond my reach but I was still craving the 335 sound. Tried many; Epis, Ibanez, Washburn, D’Angelico but none quite had *that sound*. Some were close, but none were close enough to pry the cash out of my wallet. Liked the Japanese Sheratons the most but didn’t like the extra wide Mickey Mouse ears or the over-glorious headstock and inlays (personal opinion, ducking). Sonically, it was the closest, though.

I must say, I loathed the first few gens of the Chinese-made Dots...terribly fat telephone pole necks with shit pickups and poor action and general playability. Didn’t really check Epi Dots (or variants) out again for a decade, as I was living in Brazil. A few years ago, I became aware of the 335 Pro and eventually tried one. Pretty good. Tried a few more and was moderately impressed but never pulled the proverbial trigger. But after scouring Craigs, guitar stores, pawn shops (there are good ones around Nashvegas!) and, of course, Reverb for the last year+ and missing out on a few choice candidates, I finally stumbled upon one, on CL. Managed to catch it right after it was posted and set up a meeting with the owner the next day. He told me he was a studio slinger who had not one but two G-335s as well as a quiver of notable and droolworthy guitars. He’d bought this Pro last month as a layabout guitar, did a set up on it and put on NYXL 10-46s. Said he liked it a lot and seemed to be reluctant to sell but had opted to. His loss was about to be my gain. We met up and the 335 Pro was perfect, literally not even a scratch on the pickguard. Date of manufacture was 7/19. He sold it to me—with a brand new Epi hard case—for $325. That was the asking and I didn’t bother to talk him down a penny.

Now that I’ve spent a week with it, it definitely is a great guitar. Neck straight, action and intonation perfect, no fret sprout or unevenness, top shelf fit and finish, especially at the neck joint, the F-hole edges and with excellent, antiqued binding. Best of all, it says “play me.” And it even sounds great unplugged. I may replace the pickups eventually but these Probuckers are nice, bright but not harsh in the bridge, sweet chime in the middle and my kind of Mississippi Mud in the neck....Mountain Jam much? I’m so glad to have a 335 again. Been playing it hours every day.

To sum up, I too am quite glad to be over my cork-sniffer-itis. The air smells fresher already.

Have a great day and play your geetars!

Eric

PS: I actually do have a question: is the nut just plastic or is it a GraphTech like the new ‘20 Epi LPs?

Last edited:

60CycleHum

Reaction score
Some of the others. L>R Gibson LP Studio “worn brown”, a 2005 with a 490/498 set and Klusons. Taylor GS-Mini rosewood 2018 and a Fender Plus-Top Strat (Baja) from 2013. Not pictured: Martin 000-1 1995, an Epi LP Special II (Korea, 1997) and a Indio/MP Tele copy.

B64828EA-92F3-46CD-9184-DEC3CF6F7F36.jpeg

Last edited:

BlackSG91

Reaction score
Sorry about that Raiyn. I’m a nice guy though and hope to bring some Epi stoke around here.

Don't be sorry at all! Just ignore the fellow...he has some internet issues if you know what I mean.;) You have some real nice guitars. I love your Epi G-335 in that classic cherry red with the vintage binding. The small block inlays are a nice touch and overall it's a comfortable shape. I have a Hagstrom Viking Deluxe that is similar in shape & style to the ES-335 and they feel great to play and they look classy. But if that's the only guitar you play for a long time and then you you switch to playing a Les Paul guitar, the LP will feel like the size of a ukulele.:hmm::fingersx:

71dUfSAJYtL._AC_SS350_.jpg

;>)/

Last edited:

60CycleHum

Reaction score
Welcome to Epi-Talk @60CycleHum. Lovely set of guitars.

The guy from the 60 cycle hum YouTube channel looks too young to have been playing for 40 years.

While I regularly check out things on YT, I didn’t know there was a 60 Cycle Hum channel. I only used the handle because I get said hum on my amps. Wondering if that’s only a not-well-grounded electrical circuit in our home or if it’s the amps.

Which leads me to another Q: anyone tried the EBTech Hum Eliminator? Do they work?

Thanks for the kind words Davis and BlackSG. I’m fortunate to have some nice guitars, amps and gear. I’m really glad I got the 335-Pro; the fact that it was properly set up—and with a solid set of strings in a gauge I use—made a world of difference compared to playing one off the rack with stock strings in a GC or wherever. I actually don’t love red guitars in general but can manage to live with the classic heritage cherry. I’d been hoping to find a 335 in natural or the iced tea burst; if you have either and prefer red, feel free to be in touch.

And no problem Raiyn. See above.

The MP Indio Tele and the MiK ‘97 Epi LP Special II

051FB9AF-0893-4ABE-B5D1-99F9EE0C1832.jpeg

Last edited:

Latest posts