Show your Epiphones

• Thread starter Paruwi
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Kostas Kritsilas

Reaction score
Sorry if I keep repeating myself.

Hipshot Griplock locking tuners with the UMP plates do not require new screw holes (they don't require any screw holes for that matter). The open back versions have an 18:1 ratio (and are slightly lighter), the closed back ones are 15:1 ratio. THey come in all the standard finishes, and a variety of knob options (including the "tulip" which are close to the "keystone" buttons), and the buttons themselves all come in different colours as well.

BGood

Reaction score
It's been 9 years since I've had an Epiphone, but I came across this beauty and I couldn't resist.
Same year/model as my first electric guitar! But it's the Emily the Strange Edition I really wanted as a kid!!

View attachment 13363

It's in poor condition body wise. The owner before really bashed up the edges and it has a massive chip on the back, they did a terrible fix up job on it.

View attachment 13364 View attachment 13365

So I have abit if a project ahead to get this guitar looking less abused but it will be wroth it!

However I have a question, anyone know a straight swap for the machine heads? Looking for some locking tuners of good quality :)

It's an SG G-310.

View attachment 13366
Great find, those are cool SGs.

I have to ask why you want your tuners changed ? They're like new, plastic still on the back.

Raiyn

Reaction score

I have to ask why you want your tuners changed ? They're like new, plastic still on the back.
Maybe some people just prefer locking tuners over tying strings. Also, the whole "generic" tuner vibe isn't cool when it's a special guitar you wanted as a kid.
Honestly, if it wasn't you, it'd be me. :cheers:

Hipshot Griplock locking tuners with the UMP plates do not require new screw holes (they don't require any screw holes for that matter). The open back versions have an 18:1 ratio (and are slightly lighter), the closed back ones are 15:1 ratio. THey come in all the standard finishes, and a variety of knob options (including the "tulip" which are close to the "keystone" buttons), and the buttons themselves all come in different colours as well.
+1
Headstock-alone.jpg
I use them on all of my axes. I'm particularly fond of the open gear locking models.

engineeringAwkwards

Reaction score

I use them on all of my axes. I'm particularly fond of the open gear locking models.

Thank you! I always like more options! Do you find the open gear locking tuners make much of a noticeable difference weight wise?

Thank you and good question!
If I was having it as a display piece I would leave them and try to keep the guitar as original as possible.

But as I got it pretty cheap because of the damage and I actually really want to play it regularly. I want locking tuners to make string changes quicker and I am finding it does struggle to stay in tune.

I had the same problem with my previous SG, although this could be numerous factors, but starting with the tuners only seems like the logical choice as I want to replace them anyway :)

Davis Sharp

Reaction score
I too have become a Hipshot fan. I have a set with the open back, but I like the closed back version better for no defensible reason. Maybe the open back reminds me too much of a crappy acoustic I had when I was younger. Oh that childhood trauma. :)

BGood

Reaction score
I want locking tuners to make string changes quicker and I am finding it does struggle to stay in tune.
... starting with the tuners only seems like the logical choice as I want to replace them anyway :)
You're right for quicker string changes. As I replace my strings maybe twice a year, I don't feel I'm loosing enough of my precious retiree time winding strings to warrant buying locking tuners. When strings are due, I have the guitar lying on my workbench. I usually also clean the fretboard and maybe polish the frets if need be. So it's a slow and rewarding rituel and correctly winding the strings is part of it.

As for staying in tune, problem is usually due to a poorly cut nut that will bind strings in its slots. Very rarely because of tuner quality. Changing to a locking kind won't solve that.

Second in line is not locking strings on tuner posts, which will make strings slip. Won't need to do that with locking tuners though :)

Last edited:

Raiyn

Reaction score
Thank you! I always like more options! Do you find the open gear locking tuners make much of a noticeable difference weight wise?
Compared to the closed back, yes. Compared to the non-locking Grovers that came on mine, it's negligible. I don't have those laying around anymore so I couldn't be that specific. SG's have a tendency to be neck heavy regardless. I chose the open back to minimize the added weight. I would guess I saved a bit more than the UMP plates in weight though.

I want locking tuners to make string changes quicker and I am finding it does struggle to stay in tune.
Faster string changes are guaranteed, the tuning stability... that's more likely to be the plastic nut. I replaced mine with a Black TUSQ XL and things improved. I like it because it's self lubricating. Try coloring the nut slot with a #2 pencil, the graphite should help, I do this with the bone nut on my Strat, so it oughta work for plastic as long as it's not completely gooched.

. Maybe the open back reminds me too much of a crappy acoustic I had when I was younger. Oh that childhood trauma. :)
Has to be it, because the open gears are awesome.
As I replace my strings maybe twice a year, I don't feel I'm loosing enough of my precious retiree time winding strings to warrant buying locking tuners.
Twice a year? Sheesh! If you're not playing enough, perhaps an investment in coated strings might be in order. :cheers:

Kostas Kritsilas

Reaction score

Thank you and good question!
If I was having it as a display piece I would leave them and try to keep the guitar as original as possible.

But as I got it pretty cheap because of the damage and I actually really want to play it regularly. I want locking tuners to make string changes quicker and I am finding it does struggle to stay in tune.

I had the same problem with my previous SG, although this could be numerous factors, but starting with the tuners only seems like the logical choice as I want to replace them anyway :)

The weight is noticeable, but not massively different. I think on a per tuner basis, it is a small fraction of an ounce, but with 6 tuners, it does make a difference. I bought the open back tuners for my Epiphone Les Paul Standard not because of the weight difference, but because of the increased tuning ratio. The increased tuning ratio makes it easy to get the tuning just right, and being locking tuners, you don't really have to turn the tuning knob as much as with non-locking tuners (less than a full turn of the winding post, vs. 2-3 turns on a non-locking tuner). The open back also allows for the very occasional addition of a lubricant of choice.

Raiyn

Reaction score
The weight is noticeable, but not massively different. I think on a per tuner basis, it is a small fraction of an ounce, but with 6 tuners, it does make a difference. I bought the open back tuners for my Epiphone Les Paul Standard not because of the weight difference, but because of the increased tuning ratio. The increased tuning ratio makes it easy to get the tuning just right, and being locking tuners, you don't really have to turn the tuning knob as much as with non-locking tuners (less than a full turn of the winding post, vs. 2-3 turns on a non-locking tuner). The open back also allows for the very occasional addition of a lubricant of choice.
Same.

Paruwi

Kraut-Rocker
Reaction score
It has the Gibson Headstock.

psx_20201222_091702-jpg.13452

it's not an 'Gibson' headstock - it's a Samick 'narrow open book' style headstock,
made at the Samick factory, Korea for a short time around 89-91

and

Welcome here @ €piTalk
:wave:

Last edited:

driver8

Reaction score
I finally got around to installing some new pickups in my Joe Pass. I took a chance on these "Kmise" (?) single coils on ebay for $10 a piec. Not sure, but they appear to be GFS Dream 90 clones, with the same exact specs listed. They sound really good.

The next step is to strip the gold from the hardware, change the gold knobs, put on a TOM bridge I have, and replace the tailpiece with a bigsby. I kind of liked the gold with the red, but I think silver/nickel is going to look okay when it's all done.

The pickups are super clear, maybe even too much if that makes sense, so I found some HB-sized P90s on ebay (for $9 a piece lol, got to love china) that I'm also going to try. That might be what I finally settle on. I was going to sell this when it was stock, but it just plays too good to let go!

Last edited:

engineeringAwkwards

Reaction score
the tuning stability... that's more likely to be the plastic nut. I replaced mine with a Black TUSQ XL and things improved. I like it because it's self lubricating. Try coloring the nut slot with a #2 pencil, the graphite should help, I do this with the bone nut on my Strat, so it oughta work for plastic as long as it's not completely gooched.
I like that pencil tip I'll have to try it at some point!!

As for staying in tune, problem is usually due to a poorly cut nut that will bind strings in its slots. Very rarely because of tuner quality.

I ended up replacing the nut with a Graph Tech TUSQ XL and then replaced the hardware with Gotoh HAMP tuners and the Gotoh bridge+tail piece in black. (I felt black would look better as it doesn't take away from the artwork)

And it stays in tune like a dream, the nut was most definitely a big part of the problem.
I'm going to upgrade the electronics next!!

Raiyn

Reaction score
I like that pencil tip I'll have to try it at some point!!
With the TUSQ nut, you won't need it.
I'm going to upgrade the electronics next!!
That isn't always necessary. (This, coming from Modzilla :shock:)

I can support going for better quality electronics, and I certainly have my (ever evolving) preferences, but it is SUPER easy to get sucked in by marketing hype.

If you'd like, I can offer suggestions and tell you what I've had success with. What I won't do is try to sell you something, or feed you a bunch of buzzwords and "mojo".

Latest posts