The New FAKE Epi thread

RTH

Reaction score
The bottom line, says Olsen, is that “There are many entities that claim to be experts on the serial numbers of Gibson and Epiphone guitars, but the only advisable validation method is to contact our Gibson Customer Service department. Send it to us. It is that easy.

LMAO! Its that easy! Can Gibson customer service determine when a valid Epiphone serial is used on multiple fakes? What about OEM Chinese serials that arent on the records? "G" serials, anyone? If Olsen is going to blow that smoke, he needs to train his people better.

eS.G.

Reaction score
Not sure send it to me for proper investigation ;)

Epi guy

Reaction score
Whoa, three gold, two nickel or chrome, and one black tuners. Someone couldn't make up their mind!

Yeah it's weird but I have a set of tuners so I'd swap them out. I find it odd that the tuners are crooked I've also never seen this color before not that means anything.

Reaction score
While I do respect the intention of this thread I have found that relying on forumites for advice on whether a guitar is a fake or not is roughly about as reliable as asking your stock broker to select your investments. I have lost track of how many times someone has shouted "Fake!" after I have posted a photo of the headstock of one of my 1989 Epi Les Paul Custom guitars (see below). Since they obviously have never seen that particular style of headstock (and it is not the "boat paddle" that they are familiar with) they immediately deem it a fake. Yes, I did change the truss rod cover to a Gibson style because the stock three screw truss rod cover with the vertical GIBSON made the guitar look a bit cheap, in my opinion. I prefer this one. Bottom line... do not trust any one thread or forum (including this one) as the gospel truth. Try to find as many sources of info as you possibly can. Just because someone has access to a computer and an internet connection does not make them George Gruhn.

The upside of all of this is that possibly due to the "Fake!" crowd many people won't touch these guitars. I have been able to purchase four of them over the last few years very reasonably after they have languished on Craigslist or other such similar websites. Samick produced these for Epiphone and they are outstanding guitars. I cannot choose a favorite out of the three Customs I own and all three quite literally play and sound just as nice as the two real Gibson Les Paul Custom guitars I have owned.

headstock.jpg

Paruwi

Kraut-Rocker
Reaction score
While I do respect the intention of this thread I have found that relying on forumites for advice on whether a guitar is a fake or not is roughly about as reliable as asking your stock broker to select your investments. I have lost track of how many times someone has shouted "Fake!" after I have posted a photo of the headstock of one of my 1989 Epi Les Paul Custom guitars (see below). Since they obviously have never seen that particular style of headstock (and it is not the "boat paddle" that they are familiar with) they immediately deem it a fake. Yes, I did change the truss rod cover to a Gibson style because the stock three screw truss rod cover with the vertical GIBSON made the guitar look a bit cheap, in my opinion. I prefer this one. Bottom line... do not trust any one thread or forum (including this one) as the gospel truth. Try to find as many sources of info as you possibly can. Just because someone has access to a computer and an internet connection does not make them George Gruhn.

It depends where you ask and who will answer.....

We have spotted hundreds or thousands of faked Epis over the years,

I guess our right/wrong ratio is around 97/3....

And most important, we've saved many buyers from wasting their hard earned $$$

on those crappy firewood guitars

Well worth the time and effort, IMO

vomer

Reaction score

I've known some of the people here since 2008. And there are some other knowledgable folk here too. You are in possibly the best place on the net to ask about fakes. Somewhere where we know about '89 headstocks...:)

PS I want to 'like' Peter's post twice (at least) but it won't let me. Guess I'll just have to buy the beer. :cheers:

RTH

Reaction score
Bottom line... do not trust any one thread or forum (including this one) as the gospel truth. Try to find as many sources of info as you possibly can. Just because someone has access to a computer and an internet connection does not make them George Gruhn.

The problem is that these "sources" oftentimes just parrot incorrect information that has been floating around the web for fifteen years. You could have ten websites claiming the incorrect info is true and one guy with the actual correct info. Who are you going to believe?

This website and MLP are the ONLY places to get the facts without the hearsay and the parroted copy pasta. If we dont know, we will tell you that we dont know. We sometimes speculate, but we never make stuff up or default to rumors, legends and myths, of which there are many surrounding certain aspects of Epiphone history. I have dedicated the past five years and countless hours researching Epiphone guitars and manufacturing history so that the Epiphonewiki is historically accurate from a production standpoint. My info is more accurate than Walter Carter. And George Gruhn, while very knowledgeable, probably wouldnt know what a 1989 Open-book Les Paul was if he was hit in the head with one. Nothing against Gruhn's, but they specialize in high-end vintage guitars, not pseudo-vintage Korean imports. And if they do have correct info on the occasional modern oddball Epiphone that most people have never seen or would say is fake, you can take a guess as to where they most likely got that info.

I'm sorry that everyone thinks your guitar is a fake. We know it is not and over past five or six years, we've brought these (and many other) guitars into the light. They are not being called out as fakes nearly as often as they used to be.
One thing to keep in mind about our Fake Epiphone threads here and at MLP, while I've spent these past years determining which Epiphones are real, Paruwi and several others have spent the same amount of time determining which are fake. This may be a hobby for us, but we take it very seriously.

Last edited:

Mark

Reaction score
I'm sorry that everyone thinks your guitar is a fake. We know it is not and over past five or six years, we've brought these (and many other) guitars into the light. They are not being called out as fakes nearly as often as they used to be.
One thing to keep in mind about our Fake Epiphone threads here and at MLP, while I've spent these past years determining which Epiphones are real, Paruwi and several others have spent the same amount of time determining which are fake. This may be a hobby for us, but we take it very seriously.

Geez, and how many guys at MLP own 1989 and 90 openbook Epi's? A couple hundred at least? I have drooled over owning one for a bunch of years now because of them!

ScottMarlowe

Reaction score
Yeah, the people at MLP (and here) know plenty about open book headstock epiphones. Jesus, just search "site:mylespaul.com epiphone open headstock" and watch the literally hundreds of results go by.

RTH

Reaction score
This is clearly a case of "dont believe what you read on the internet", but that is not the case with this forum, MLP and the Epiphonewiki. Sure, there are errors sometimes, but we all work hard to avoid that and admit when we are incorrect.

Besides, if a guitar is in question of being a fake and no one can determine conclusively one way or the other, then our advice is always to stay clear of it because its either fake or a really bad unit. Solid advice either way.

Latest posts