The New FAKE Epi thread

ScottMarlowe

Reaction score
http://www.ebay.com/itm/271899181181?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Thinking about putting a bid in on this one, but some things look a little off. Any help is appreciated. Thanks
I'm not seeing anything that sets off alarm bells but wait for Peter to show up.

What do you see that looks off to you? The poorly aligned tuners definitely look like Korean vintage install. Looks like the the controls in the control cavity have been upgraded as it's got CTS pots and updated caps. But the wires from the pickups / switch look stock to me.

CraigG

Reaction score
Joe..that looks exactly like mine. HA! Well except for the pick ups. I'd be jumpin on that one if I didn't just buy the exact same thing. It's the real deal.

eS.G.

Reaction score
HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So....I (slow on the uptake) JUST noticed my beloved Silverburst is either rare indeed or an IMPOSTOR!

The DOT is missing from the name on the headstock. So I checked all other Epis.....and the rest including the Ultra (also an 08) have the DOT inlay......... WTF?
The serial number for the Silverburst Custom "checks out"
Your guitar was made at the
Qingdao Plant (Epiphone), China
September 2008
Production Number: 06910

So what say you all
ghost head.jpg ultra head.jpg

eS.G.

Reaction score
Well even if it was a fake it plays better than anything I have ever owned so it would have only made it MORE valuable to me lol
Thanks Guys!!!!!

williambell24

Reaction score
Hi, can anyone tell me if this is real or fake...

Bought it from a guitar show second hand a couple of years ago and some things now seem a bit suspicious for example it came with a black pickup selector ring on the toggle switch however I wasn't sure if it was added by the previous owner. Also the tuners seem a bit wonky etc. The serial number is ok.

Can anyone tell me if its real or fake?

Paruwi

Kraut-Rocker
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if its real or fake?

Hi,
welcome here @ €piTalk
:wave:
I tend to call it legit,
because we've seen so many 'differences' on korean Epis in the past
most things do line up with MiK, though the thin headstock-binding is the only thing I've not seen 'till now.

maybe @RTH will have a look at it , too

Paruwi

Kraut-Rocker
Reaction score
Can you please point out what about this guitar indicates it's a fake.

thanks
John

The most important one is:
The serial# format has changed in mid 2008 from 'letter prefix' for the factory
to the currently used one
and some more, like laquered neck, paint-job, Zakk-pic at the backside of the headstock is wrong, too

Latest posts