The New FAKE Epi thread

Jason Wood

Reaction score
Agreed. No red flags, although roaching out that poor axe was uncalled for. If nothing else, you got a decent set of pickups out of the deal.

Yep, whoever did this to it needs to rethink their approach to guitar modification I think!

I'm going to have a go a fixing it up a little. The scratches to the top rule out a translucent finish so I'm going to sand back what's left of the top lacquer, fill all the dings / scratches and respray it. Not sure what colour yet. Then I'll clean up the fretboard / frets and see how it is. And I'll replace the nasty nut they have put on it too.

It would just be nice to know for sure that it is genuine. The serial number is F304690 which seems to check out as a 2010 Tribute 59/60 Standard

I have just emailed Epiphone to see if they will take a look at the headstock photo.

BGood

Reaction score
I say it is legit, everything is as it should be. Long n is OK, it comes and goes on their headstock.

Locking tuners, Gibson pups, serial number, tailpiece stud ends, tuner washers, all telltale and all kosher. You got yourself a killer deal. I say just play the thing. Before long, you won't see the damage anymore. But IF you still want to go and paint it, I say goldtop, nothing less.

http://www.epiphonetalk.com/threads/decoding-the-newest-f-serial-numbers.3395/#post-48995

Bonzo21

Reaction score
Agreed. No red flags, although roaching out that poor axe was uncalled for. If nothing else, you got a decent set of pickups out of the deal.
LOL I didn't tell him to get rid of it (I think this is what you mean by "roaching out", never heard the expression before--though they did call me the Roach Killer in college--), I just mean value wise its like he paid nothing for it, so might as well enjoy the free ride ahahah

Raiyn

Reaction score
LOL I didn't tell him to get rid of it (I think this is what you mean by "roaching out", never heard the expression before--though they did call me the Roach Killer in college--), I just mean value wise its like he paid nothing for it, so might as well enjoy the free ride ahahah
I was referring to the hack job they did on the relicing. That fad really needs to end

DigitalDreams

Reaction score
Just my .02 but nothing about this guitar raises red flags to me including the logo. I have a lot of Epi's from different years dating back to the early 70's and none of the logos are 100% identical. They have shuffled production from so many different countries through the years its no wonder there are variances. YMMV

Jason Wood

Reaction score
Hi @Jason Wood

welcome here @ €piTalk
:wave:
don't worry, the Tribute is absolute legit

Thanks everyone for your replies.

Also, just to update, I wrote to Gibson and sent them photos and they also said it looks genuine to them.

So for £100 I guess I can't complain. Even though the headstock has been broken off and glued back on, it seems solid and the neck is straight so I am hoping to be able to get it set up nicely.

If I paint it, I'll post some pics etc in the appropriate section here, if anyone is into that stuff.

:-)

Paruwi

Kraut-Rocker
Reaction score
s-l1600.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Epiphone-L...232772&hash=item3b3c041e85:g:HpYAAOSwgOddvy4Z

Fake !

Steelmanpa

Reaction score
headstock 1.jpg headstock 1.jpg headstock 2.jpg headstock3.jpg headstock4.jpg
Greetings all. I picked up a jazz box for swing and jump blues the other day, an Epi Joe Pass. Checked out the serial number which said November 85/95 or 2005 Samick. Someone put PAF reissues in it, plays decently with the flatwound strings ( not my bag I am a 009-042 round, though this will be 010-046 I guess). But the headstock name is erratic to me. I have seen other pix with the lettering close to the tree, but this has that Chibson sort of look and I am uncomfortable. Looking for some input from you folks, while I have a return option..

headstock 1.jpg headstock 2.jpg headstock3.jpg headstock4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Paruwi

Kraut-Rocker
Reaction score
Checked out the serial number which said November 85/95 or 2005 Samick.

The guitar-un-dater will never get this right.....

S=Samick, Korea
5=95 (there were none in '85, there were none Samick MiK in '05)
11=November

The JoePass is absolutely legit

Welcome here @ €piTalk
:wave:

Last edited:

Angry-Again

Reaction score
19674.jpg 19673.jpg 19672.jpg 19673.jpg 19672.jpg
Looks all legit hardware and condition wise,
but I have issues with the logo and logo jewel. 1967 eb232. What You guys think? Its at my local guitar shop at the moment getting a tune etc? anything to have him look for besides the obvious pot codes etc?

Latest posts