Uncovered pickup - cover or replace?

• Thread starter 2tone
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

2tone

Reaction score
I have an LP with a covered neck pickup and an uncovered bridge pickup. I prefer the look of two covered pickups, so am contemplating having a cover put on. All up, this is likely to cost me around $100 to get the new nickel cover, have the pickup wax potted and reinstalled.

Another option is to whack in a new covered pickup. Would be more expensive, but given I am already stuffing around with it, it might be the time to put in a new humbucker, maybe a Gibson Burstbucker. Anyone have any thoughts on good pickups or experiences with covering an Epiphone Probucker?

Attachments

• 7972207B-D3A6-4168-8763-5D8F2A73F5EF.jpeg
    7972207B-D3A6-4168-8763-5D8F2A73F5EF.jpeg
    645.9 KB · Views: 9

ChrisD

Reaction score
I actually prefer uncovered pickups on a Les Paul so have no experience of adding a cover I'm afraid. The "standard" Burstbucker, as in the 1,2 and 3, are much better sounding pickups to my ear than the Burstbucker Pros. If you are going for a PAF I can also highly recommend the Dimarzio 36th Anniversary pickup. Very nice humbucker that will be cheaper than a Gibson pickup I am sure.

DPaulCustom

Reaction score
Wax potting isn't needed, just find yourself a cover you like, WITH THE CORRECT SPACING, & get the soldering iron out. Make sure your iron is capable of HIGH heat.

It's pretty straightforward, & simple. No way it'll cost $100

Raiyn

Reaction score
Wax potting isn't needed, just find yourself a cover you like, WITH THE CORRECT SPACING, & get the soldering iron out. Make sure your iron is capable of HIGH heat.

It's pretty straightforward, & simple. No way it'll cost $100

Huh, bathroom silicone. I love it when solutions are as close as the hardware store.

PeterOeh

Reaction score
on my epi lp standard i got covers, on my epi lp studio there is no covers.
personally i prefer covered pickups on a les paul. it just looks better imho (and the sound difference covers on vs covers off aint really that big, nothing your EQ wouldnt "correct" in a second).

Supersonic

Reaction score
I have an LP with a covered neck pickup and an uncovered bridge pickup. I prefer the look of two covered pickups, so am contemplating having a cover put on. All up, this is likely to cost me around $100 to get the new nickel cover, have the pickup wax potted and reinstalled.

Another option is to whack in a new covered pickup. Would be more expensive, but given I am already stuffing around with it, it might be the time to put in a new humbucker, maybe a Gibson Burstbucker. Anyone have any thoughts on good pickups or experiences with covering an Epiphone Probucker?

Just my opinion, but I think the covered neck pup and the uncovered bridge pup on an LP look really cool together.

DPaulCustom

Reaction score
Just my opinion, but I think the covered neck pup and the uncovered bridge pup on an LP look really cool together.
Someone else seems to share your opinion
getty621images-499429149jpg.jpg

Walker

Reaction score
I've used very thin foam packing material instead of wax. Learned about that from one of the winders on MLP. Oh, and I like covered humbuckers on every guitar that has humbuckers.

Last edited:

2tone

Reaction score
Thanks for all replies! The $100 (AUD) included the cost of the cover plus the luthier's time (which he admitted wouldn't be very long). I don't mind paying that much for his time as he needs to earn a living. I 'could' put the cover on myself, but not sure that I wouldn't get something wrong.

I do prefer the look of two covered pickups, but maybe another option is to leave this epi LP as it is and buy another LP with two covered pickups! That is in keeping with my current state of GAS.

Raiyn

Reaction score
Thanks for all replies! The $100 (AUD) included the cost of the cover plus the luthier's time (which he admitted wouldn't be very long). I don't mind paying that much for his time as he needs to earn a living. I 'could' put the cover on myself, but not sure that I wouldn't get something wrong.

I do prefer the look of two covered pickups, but maybe another option is to leave this epi LP as it is and buy another LP with two covered pickups! That is in keeping with my current state of GAS.
Or...maybe something that isn't another LP...
17121509171-front-large.jpg

:cheers:

2tone

Reaction score
Well, I went ahead and did it. I reckon it looks even more awesome now with the two covered pickups. I bought this guitar from one of the larger well know music stores here in Australia, but the luthier was not impressed with the wiring done when the store had put in the uncovered pickup. It was a mess, so he cut it off and re-did the wiring.

He commented that there was one guy at the store who used to fiddle around with guitars swapping pickups and generally made a mess of it every time. Who knows why he was doing it, but it's fixed on this LP now.

The replacement nickel cover is second hand, has some nice corrosion on it and a slight kink across one part of the cover, so it has some character.

The luthier raved about epis, told me to hang on to it because the are great quality guitars. I agree, it's an awesome guitar.

LP Covered pups 2.jpg

Supersonic

Reaction score
Well, I went ahead and did it. I reckon it looks even more awesome now with the two covered pickups. I bought this guitar from one of the larger well know music stores here in Australia, but the luthier was not impressed with the wiring done when the store had put in the uncovered pickup. It was a mess, so he cut it off and re-did the wiring.

He commented that there was one guy at the store who used to fiddle around with guitars swapping pickups and generally made a mess of it every time. Who knows why he was doing it, but it's fixed on this LP now.

The replacement nickel cover is second hand, has some nice corrosion on it and a slight kink across one part of the cover, so it has some character.

The luthier raved about epis, told me to hang on to it because the are great quality guitars. I agree, it's an awesome guitar.

View attachment 6913

Looks great @2tone. There's just something about a good LP that can't be beat. They destroy SGs IMO. Now I'm sure all of the SG lovers will tell me how wrong I am. To each his own.

Last edited:

DPaulCustom

Reaction score
Looks great @2tone. There's just something about a good LP that can't be beat. They destroy SGs IMO. Now I'm sure all of the SG lovers will tell me how wrong I am. To each his own.
I don't think one is 'better' than the other, they both have their place.

Grats @2tone , as long as you're happy with the end product, it's all that really matters, & it does look pretty good with double covers.

Latest posts