Vintage or modern? Wha do you prefer?

• Vintage

Votes: 19 76.0%
  • Modern

Votes: 6 24.0%

• Total voters

Imerkat

Reaction score
My friend told me my guitar look like something from a future-past. I think in truth no one likes "modern" guitars.
Moog_Guitar_MIDI_Optie_fabrieksupgrade_MGMIDIUPGRADE.jpg

BE-Guitar-3B.jpg

MoldoverGuitar.jpg

Reaction score
I fall somewhere in the middle. I do not bond with modern high gain amplifiers nor do I like vintage non-master amplifiers. I have always felt that the Marshall JMP master volume amplifiers from the late 70s and their derivatives like the JCM800 (which really isn't a derivative - it's the same circuit as the late 70s JMP MV amps) and the single channel Soldano Hot Rod 50 are pinnacle of rock and roll amplification. The high water mark, so to speak. Everything was building up to that point and it's been downhill ever since.

wildeman

Reaction score
I actually got offered a insane deal for one of my shredwagons. A black Gibson es 135 for a Ibanez saber that i paid 50bux for and absolutely love... Call me nuts but i cant do it, the Saber is probably my favorite axe right now. Its just got IT!

compulsor

Reaction score
Def. vintage, but on my budget, sometimes the true definition of vintage is, shall we say, "stretched"?
I have a few Silverface Fenders, where as most purists would NOT consider them vintage; anything with a 7 as the 2nd to last digit in the year of mfg doesn't count.
Although, I did just sneak a '66 Bassman and 61/2 Silvertone 1472 into the basement while the wife wasn't looking- I guess those count.
I know, I know: it's not the 'real' Blackface circuit, but don't really care- sounds g-lorious!

AJ6stringsting

Reaction score
I love'em all.
I have 15 guitars modded out to cover any sound that I need to play Classic Rock, Classic 80's Metal, Blues, Thrash / Speed Metal or Neo Classical / Bach Rock .
Amp wise, I use a Digitech 2112 SGS , that has two 12AX7 JJ Eurotubes. With the 2112, I can have any amp needed to cover any style.

eS.G.

Reaction score
But truly how MODERN are these instruments when ...............THIS was around ---what 30 + years ago??? So is the guitar vintage? Modern? Modern Vintage or Vintage Modern??? I need a beer.

Alty

Reaction score
Personally if it's old gear prefer it to be original, as it was intended or if newer gear then as long as it does what it says but ultimately don't mind as long as it sounds or does what I want it to do.

AJ6stringsting

Reaction score
Im really lovin me some mid 80s to mid 90s shred super strats. I cant believe how much guitar you can get for your buck. Im gettin things that were 1200.00 new for like 200bux..crazy! I dont sound very modern when i play them though,still a child of the 70s.

Heck, I love the 1980's Jackson's, Charvel's and Kramer's guitars with Floyd Roses.

Back in 2007, my wife gave money for my B Day ....she said , " Don't get a guitar with a bar , you sound like Yngwie on LSD !!!! ....GET A NORMAL GUITAR !!!!
So I got an Epiphone LPC !!!!

soulman969

Staff Member
Reaction score
Oooo.....an oldie thread.

I'm far more about "vintage" if that's what we call it now. Then it was just new or used and you could buy used '60s Teles all day long for around $200. Strats maybe $25-$50 more.

I think many of us are attracted to what we began on which for me was '60s Fender guitars and basses and although I didn't own any at that time Epiphones and Gibsons as well.

Last edited:

Latest posts