What Are You Listening To Currently ?

• Thread starter syco
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Charles Carter

Reaction score
Yeah it did but Wow! that is an incredible amount of talent there. Funny that there are a few Beatle connections in there too. Ford was on Harrison's 74 tour and Laboriel's kid is McCartney's drummer and Lukather is currently on Starr's tour.
Laboriel is seriously underrated. Loved his work on Fagen's "Nightfly" album. Especially "New Frontier". His bass makes that whole song as cool as it is.
I'll see if I can find that video for sure. Thanks for sharing.
Yes, those Beatles connections are very cool!
I've been a fan of Abe senior since this Randy Crawford album and a little later his Koinonia days.
I also love his work with Greg Matheson, Michael Landau and Vinnie at The Baked Potato. (Double CD and DVD.)

Dyno 4 DVD n CD Sm.jpg

Whitefang

Reaction score
Yeah, that sucks. Hey, I saw your boys MC5 Christmas night in 1970 at Curtis Hixon Hall in Tampa. There were 5 bands on the show headlined by The Bob Seger System. MC5 was a good band. High energy for sure!
I remember Seger tried to open up with "River Deep Mountain High" but I think he got about 3 notes into it and his amp blew. Drag! Must have took about 30 mins. to get going again. Also remember Pep Perrine's weird ass drum set up. He had like curved toms on each side of him head high.
The band Steam was also on the show and got booed big time until they did their "na na na na" dumb ass song.
Brownsville Station I think was on the bill but I can't remember who the other group was. Concerts sure were fun back then.
Even if I can't remember the shows clearly I consider myself very lucky to see the bands I did. Between the years 68-75 I was going to a concert damn near every week. Sometimes we'd get 2 or 3 tours come thru in a week. Great music and good times.
I look at things in the country today and it was like being on a different planet back then. As Peter Green said...Oh Well.
Yeah, Perrine's drum kit was something else. Used it back when they were The Last Heard. Took up a lot of space on thatsmall "bandstand" they used at those St. Aquinas high school dances every other Friday night in the summer of '68. To those not sure what Pushing and I are talking about--------

Here's a clip with a good shot of that kit. ;)

Whitefang

Pushing70

Reaction score
Yeah, Perrine's drum kit was something else. Used it back when they were The Last Heard. Took up a lot of space on thatsmall "bandstand" they used at those St. Aquinas high school dances every other Friday night in the summer of '68. To those not sure what Pushing and I are talking about--------

Here's a clip with a good shot of that kit. ;)

Whitefang

Yep, that's the one! Thank you for the photo Fang. The kit looks more military than musical. Outta sight!! And man did Pep know how to use it effectively.
The audio is from the album "Mongrel" which is the tour the System were on when I saw them. To me it was sad to see Seger give up on that hard drivin' R&B rock. But if he kept it up his voice would have been shredded to nothing by the mid 70's. I like some of his Silver Bullet stuff but that Mongrel album is the best thing Seger ever put out IMO. Thanks again Fang it is good to see the kit again.
Wish there was more concert material out there from the System. I've seen a handful of TV show stuff but no actual concert video.
Know of any?

Whitefang

Reaction score
Nope. The System really didn't do much in the way of concerts back then. But I did find a clip recorded "live"(meaning no lip sync to the studio track). Some great shots of that kit in it. Starts out with one of my top Seger favorites, LUCIFER .

As for the voice, for years the urban legend was that Bob had throat cancer and that was why his voice was so "gravelly". :D Was never true of course, and too, there was the notion he was trying to be the "next" Mitch Ryder. :rolleyes: At one concert at Cobo in the late '70's he had Mitch open for him. I always thought it was a nose thumb at that "next" thing. You be the judge....

Whitefang

Pushing70

Reaction score
Mitch Ryder's vocals were somewhat similar to Seger's but Bob was way more gravely I think. Ryder's "Devil with the blue dress" was more like Seger's. Anyway, I think they were just trying to sound as black and soulful as possible. 😊

Otto99

Reaction score
Right now, the squealing in my ears from too much loud music - rock, jazz, and classical - and college marching band, where the whole idea was to play as loudly as you could, but still be musical.

Darkness

Reaction score
Had this one in my head a few days. I'm gonna learn to play it this weekend. Doesn't look hard

soulman969

Staff Member
Reaction score
Mostly the rain on my patio and thunder storm sounds from my Alexa app playing through a powered speaker. Kinda fitting considering the weather we've been having.

Latest posts