What did you do to your Epiphone today?

• Thread starter CanuckLP
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Töñə ÇH@$əR

Reaction score
No, it helps though. The noise is part of it with P90s, it's not unbearable, you just live with it. There's nothing like real P90s, it's worth it.
fender has a sweet made in indonesia model. the jim adkins model. it comes with seymour duncan soap bar p90s, plus its a hollow body. basically a es-335 shaped like a telecaster

1673741006780.png1673741035582.png

Last edited:

Raiyn

Reaction score
i wanted to ask if u upgraded the capacitors or just went with the stock ones?
If I've said it once, I've said it a 1000 times. The only things that matter when it comes to capacitors is the value and tolerance to that value. Anyone who tells you any different is either trying to sell you something or trying to justify buying something. Anything that goes through the cap goes to ground. The only time I "upgrade" caps is if I'm changing values or the whole harness and even then I'm using film caps from a couple brands that I like for their rep in the broader electronics sphere - not for any alleged "mojo" 🐮💩. If someone buys them to put in a guitar I'm getting paid to do, I put them in - but if they ask, I tell them the truth.
does shielding reduce or eliminate the hum?
Nothing "eliminates" hum, but done right I've had good results as far as greatly reducing it. My single coils are almost spooky quiet compared to before I shielded them.

Last edited:

Töñə ÇH@$əR

Reaction score
If I've said it once, I've said it a 1000 times. The on!y things that matter when it comes to capacitors is the value and tolerance to that value. Anyone who tells you any different is either trying to sell you something or trying to justify buying something. Anything that goes through the cap goes to ground. The only time I "upgrade" caps is if I'm changing values or the whole harness and even then I'm using film caps from a couple brands that I like for their rep in the broader electronics sphere - not for any alleged "mojo" 🐮💩. If someone buys them to put in a guitar I'm getting paid to do, I put them in - but if they ask, I tell them the truth.

Nothing "eliminates" hum, but done right I've had good results as far as greatly reducing it. My single coils are almost spooky quiet compared to before I shielded them.
would those holeless metal covers help? cuz i like how they look

Equalphone

Reaction score
would those holeless metal covers help? cuz i like how they look

I haven't seen them for P90's... or even metal P90 covers for that matter. But I haven't looked.

P90's really need the screws/pole pieces accessible so that you can adjust them, IME. But a metal cover with holes that was grounded would tend to shield the pickups. It would also likely cut treble a bit, which might not be a good thing with a P90 since they are reduced treble by nature.

Raiyn

Reaction score
I haven't seen them for P90's... or even metal P90 covers for that matter. But I haven't looked.

P90's really need the screws/pole pieces accessible so that you can adjust them, IME. But a metal cover with holes that was grounded would tend to shield the pickups. It would also likely cut treble a bit, which might not be a good thing with a P90 since they are reduced treble by nature.
He was asking me about these:
20200629_140037 (1).jpg
He failed to quote me in order to make that clear.

i have an addiction to gear and upgrades. its getting outta hand :rofl:
Yeah. I had to call you on it though. Upgrading for the sake of upgrading is pointless. Unless you can pinpoint an issue you're chasing your own tail and should probably go practice. Recent Epi's are as good as anything I'd have built 5 years ago because they come stock with most of the "standard" mods from the factory.

My Jag build started as disappointment with the pickups and general quality of much of the electronic package. It was easier for me to pull everything as a unit and start from a clean slate rather than Frankenstein something using portions of the original equipment.

The next guitar is going to be a relatively stock affair other than a few things I like from a convenience standpoint and a couple aesthetic changes. These are just things I like and make no tonal difference to the guitar. I'm even leaving the electronics alone other than the jack, which is a "thing I like" mod.

Töñə ÇH@$əR

Reaction score
You've just contradicted everything you've ever written on this forum.
He was asking me about these:
View attachment 19858
He failed to quote me in order to make that clear.

Yeah. I had to call you on it though. Upgrading for the sake of upgrading is pointless. Unless you can pinpoint an issue you're chasing your own tail and should probably go practice. Recent Epi's are as good as anything I'd have built 5 years ago because they come stock with most of the "standard" mods from the factory.

My Jag build started as disappointment with the pickups and general quality of much of the electronic package. It was easier for me to pull everything as a unit and start from a clean slate rather than Frankenstein something using portions of the original equipment.

The next guitar is going to be a relatively stock affair other than a few things I like from a convenience standpoint and a couple aesthetic changes. These are just things I like and make no tonal difference to the guitar. I'm even leaving the electronics alone other than the jack, which is a "thing I like" mod.
i was talking about single coils. All of my non cosmetic upgrades were to correct something, that the stock model lacked. my pedal purchasing frequency on the other hand, has exceeded necessity a long time ago.

28 Flathead

Reaction score
My Sheraton from Japan came with some mystery pu maybe Maxon brand; brass cover and plate with and Alnico magnet. Sounded like all the terms we call bad pickups. Muddy, compressed, shrill highs, etc.

the bridge read 14.8k and the Neck was 7.26. I change the magnets to ceramic and for some reason they both now read 7.8? I lost track of which was which when putting on the cover.

now they’re back in and sound clear as a bell!
evskkannujrvmprqipel.jpg

now what to do with the Gibson 57’s i don’t need anymore...
Nice looking guitar.

Töñə ÇH@$əR

Reaction score
If I've said it once, I've said it a 1000 times. The only things that matter when it comes to capacitors is the value and tolerance to that value. Anyone who tells you any different is either trying to sell you something or trying to justify buying something. Anything that goes through the cap goes to ground. The only time I "upgrade" caps is if I'm changing values or the whole harness and even then I'm using film caps from a couple brands that I like for their rep in the broader electronics sphere - not for any alleged "mojo" 🐮💩. If someone buys them to put in a guitar I'm getting paid to do, I put them in - but if they ask, I tell them the truth.

and for the record i practice 4 hours a day :rofl: :dude: :cheers:

Latest posts