What did you do to your Epiphone today?

• Thread starter CanuckLP
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Space1999

Reaction score
Moonbase Alpha: drifting in space on the moon
I took my Epi 12 string Hummingbird to the luthiers today to had a Tusq nut and bridge installed along with replacement Graphtech bridge pins.

The bridge and the nut were not done particularly well on the model I bought in December.
I think it was one of the last ones out the door before the Chinese made models started popping up.

There were a couple of badly done break points on the nut and a few bad cuts on the bridge, one of which was causing intonation problems.

Just as well because I wasn’t really digging the tone of the bone but and bridge anyway.

Pat

Roger666

Reaction score
I never heard the old pickups. the new ones got here before the guitars did so I replaced them and did my wiring thing right away. If it was ME, I'd try the .047 cap and the 1 meg pots. But that's me. I find I get more contol over the tones when I go out of phase and mess wih the pickup's volumes. The tone can sometimes be bright or ice-picky but you can always use the tone knob. It's nice to have that "boost off the edge of the cliff" though. Some of those Epiphone pickups are great. Some, not so great.

Roger666

Reaction score
You know, I read your post again, and on second thought, 1 meg pots wont get much more low end out of the Explorer. Sometimes you can add a "treble bleed" resistor across the tone cap. I THINK that might enhance the low end by toning down the brightness. They actually sell a tone cap and a resistor already twisted together. Framkly, I have nexer tried that. I dont even know if it is even the right thing but I'd look it up. In fact, I will too. I really should know that. My pointy guitars are the korina wood ones and that may indeed make a difference. Those Seth Lover pickups are as close to a "PAF" they say you csn get cuz Seth invented them but they varied in tone a whole lot. I really like them. One does have to use your tone control if you use 1 meg pots too. It's really bright. And going out of phase and tweaking one of the volume knobs gives you a wide variety of tones and usually takes care of the brightness. All those factors might make it great in some way, but only having like one of those things might not be that great.
But it works on my regular wood guitars. Hmmm.
I think those pickups are bright because they are not sealed in wax. If you want to get rid of the Seth Lovers, I can take them off your hands. Maybe you are right to change pickups. They are pretty much like the Pearly Gates. I have those on a '99 Unsung Les Paul i'm not sure if they are wax potted, but they sound sweet. I have modified Jimmy Page wiring on that one and a 2001 unsung which has the p-rails in it with all that fancy switching ADDED to the Jimmy Page wiring which is pullpots for out of phase, series/parallel, and a coil split for the neck and one for the bridge. That wiring diagram took me months to get right. There are no extra holes and it's normal wiring with all the pullpots down. It's quite the sleeper. Both of them are. I did them at the same time, so the '99 with the Pearly Gates has that same fancy switching as the '01 with the P-Rails. I figured I was creating a monster, why not make 2? While I can find all the tools.
I was wondering what the difference in the tone was between the slug and the screw coils on a regular Humbucker, since that wiring switches from the P-90 and the Rail in the P-Rails, so it would switch the slug and the screw coil on the Pearly Gates Humbucker.
So I found out that the screw coil and the slug coil sound pretty much the same. Lol. But I can see if I was really loud or really clean it might make more difference, but it was an intersting experiment. They both have good pots, switchcraft switch and jack and paper in oil tone caps. But when that limited edition lonf tenon 59 Les Paul reissue came out, I got one and was blown away. Seriously. Its more fun than my Gibson Supreme, which I put a pullpot in through the hole for the jack. No access plate in back. That was a bitch, but anyway those 59 ltd reissues are great. So I got 2 more and I dont need to do ANYTHING to them. They are THAT good.
Wow, I got off the subject, didn't I? Lol. I DO know a bit about getting all kinds of tones with different pickups and wiring but I am totally lacking for knowing stuff like how to coax more low end out of a guitar. Does it have a trenolo? Usually, I only need to mess with the size of the tone cap to adjust the tone. I would probably almost instictively just wire it so its not so bright or scoop out the middle and turn the tone control, bringing out more low end. Going out of phase scoops out the middle but its a bit drastic. I still rarely use my actual tone control, but I have big speakers. Usually 8 or 16 12's . A Jimi Hendrix R.I. Marshall stack and/or a David Gilmour Hiwatt with a WEM 4-12 and an old Orange 4-12 with vintage 25W Fane speakers. Not to brag, but it might be what you are playing through.
But my old twin and bassman pretty much sound the same. All the contols on all those amps are always at noon, completely flat. Tone control on guitar all the way up as usual. I've always been able to get a decent sound from nearly clean to super crunchy depending on how hard I hit the strings. Some guitars DO have less bottom end or more mids or highs but thats why we pick them. Hmmm. The Explorer is a pretty big guitar. It should have plenty of low end. Are you POSITIVE that one of the pickups isn't wired backwards?
Well, I'd check THAT out, keep the 500k pots for now and try some darker pickups. There are plenty of sounf samples on the Seymour Duncan website and hopefully other pickup Makers sites. The '59 with the JB is a great proven combination for many different guitar styles. I actually have 6 SD boxes thst SAY '59 on them I know I didnt use them all. Oh yeah, I was going to put them in the '59 Reissue Ltd. edition long tenon Epiphone Les Pauls I was yakkin about. If they ARE the SD 59's still in those boxes. They could be the ones I took out of the SG's without listening to them first, replacing them with Seymours, which are, I think the Eoiphone Burstbucker 2 and 3's that they put in the Les Pauls. Those are good pickups. I'll check if you want. We could trade, but some of them are gold, if even you are interested.
OR you could check out that treble bleed thing with the resistor teisted to the capacitor. I know that tweaking the value of the resistor is supposed to make some kind of difference.
FOLKS YOU CAN CHIME IN ANYTIME! Lol.
Yeah, 1 megs wont give you more bottom end , just more gain. BUT going in series DOES bring out bottom end. Series and out of phase only work when 2 or more pickups are on and the tone controls kind of bleed into each other and only one volume control will work. But if you just wire it in series as a two pickup guitar (some Danelectros are wired in series) when one pickup is on, the vol and tone controls work normally but when both pickups are on one of the volumes and one of the tones are redundant. They both kind of do the same thing now. As long as one of them is all the way up, the other one wont do anything, but you can have one turned down more so when you go just to that pickup it will be at a lesser volume. But THEN its just CRYING for an out of phase pullpot to reverse one pickup, it is such a great tone. Ask Brian or Jimmy or ask Randy Bachman how he got that sick lead tone on American Woman. I dont know what Mr. Bachman would say or frankly what he did, but thats exactly what it sounds like. Talk about a Woman Tone, I wouldnt want to run into the woman behind THAT tone. Maybe I would.
So I still cant truly answer your question but I thought I might literally share my thoughts on the matter and everything I know about changing the tones of a guitar. There are some glaring gaps in my knowledge.
Its not like I change my tones all the time. I use them as I would an effect a few times during the song and the lead is always in series. My '65 Fender Xii came stock with an out of phase switch in it. The pickup selector is 4-way. bridge, bridge&neck/bridge&neck out of phase/neck. Jimmy Page made a million dollars off that sound on Stairway To Heaven. And its ALL OVER Houses of the Holy. I seriously dont know why more guitarists dont modify their guitars to do this. Its completely reversable and when you dont pull up any pots, the wiring and looks are exactly the same as it was.
I LIKE a good outbof phase, hind of cheeky guitar sometimes it doesnt have to be extreme. You can cancel them out a little bit or a lot, play them soft or blistering going in series or both and it's addictive, once you adapt not much, but a tiny bit, It is so addictive that you can find the ultimate sweet spots for different things and pretty soon it infects your playing style and your tone and sound gets more distinctive and more personal to you. So you put that stuff on a lot of your guitars. In time. People can tell its you playing without even seeing you. Or they think they'd heard that guy before. They'll hear a second of it randomly here and there and recognize your band because of your singer.
Anyway. More people should do that more often. Instead of using all those effects. Effects are cool. Useful ones clasdic ones. Like a tube tape echo box, a tube distortion box, a cry baby, a decent flanger, a tube spring reverb unit, and some sort of univibe. Chin Ei's "Psychedelic Machine" they made the original univibe and this is a part for part identical circuit to the original one. It has a seperate octavibe, again, an exact replica of the original. AND a Fuzz Face, another exact replica. All in the same box, but separate with inputs and outputs for each one. And it has a pedal to control the univibe part. The flanger is stereo so you can plug bit into 2 amps in my case
And that's about it. The rest is up to you.
Food for thought. I'm hungry. I suspect that banana bread she made might be....
Well, I can always give you some wiring diagrams if you are interested.
Sorry, epi-talk folks. I thought it was the painkiller I had to take for a realky swollen foot. Then leg, But its almost gone now and I realied I just babbled on like it was a text or something. That "naughty" banana bread sort of eroded my manners. Please forgive me. Lol.
Gonna put away these guitars away and lie down and listen to Jeff Beck. Go Niners!!

Timflyte

Reaction score
I put on a octave D string on my Epi acoustic 12 ( the one I mentioned a posts back , the one I got new in '73 ,MIJ ).
Recording with it as a rhythm guitar , the missing octave didn't matter so much , but now I'm going to be using it for a few solos , the octave was needed.
I don't know who enjoys changing strings , but I have always hated doing it , going back to my youth & the dreaded " ping " when its been over tightened & breaks
Modern tuners sure do help get you in the range of the note .

Roger666

Reaction score
I routed out the tuner holes on my Epiphone Les Paul ‘59 and installed Gibson Deluxe tuners.

Gibsons Deluxe tuners on the left, original Epiphone tuners on the right.View attachment 16302
Hi. I can take the old epi tuners off your hands for money or in trade. I need a few singles. I have a lot of good spare parts including Epi pickups, Fender locking tuners, and even singles of Grover gold tuners of several kinds, and more. Thanks!

Roger666

Reaction score
I took my Epi 12 string Hummingbird to the luthiers today to had a Tusq nut and bridge installed along with replacement Graphtech bridge pins.

The bridge and the nut were not done particularly well on the model I bought in December.
I think it was one of the last ones out the door before the Chinese made models started popping up.

There were a couple of badly done break points on the nut and a few bad cuts on the bridge, one of which was causing intonation problems.

Just as well because I wasn’t really digging the tone of the bone but and bridge anyway.

Pat
Hi. How ARE those epi 12-string Hummingbirds? I was thinking about getting one.

Space1999

Reaction score
Moonbase Alpha: drifting in space on the moon
Hi. How ARE those epi 12-string Hummingbirds? I was thinking about getting one.
They are beautiful guitars. Well made and lush sounding. I love the aged gloss finish. And the neck is stout and easy to play.

Best guitar I could find in that price range. Actually anbout the only one I found in that range.

Acoustic 12 strings seem to have a cheaper range and then it just shoots up into that above $2000 range leaving almost nothing in the $1000 range.

Epiphone plugged that hole and did it very nicely indeed.

PatIMG_2109.jpeg

Pat

Paruwi

Kraut-Rocker
Reaction score
That Wilshire is a beauty!

Thanks!

or an SG Special P90?

less neck heavy and better craftmanship than the two SG-Special P90s I had before.
IMG_1082.JPG

sound is less fat than a LP and more fat than the SG
similar to a LP-Special DoubleCut

I'm thinking of adding another strap-button on the upper horn

BlueSquirrel

Reaction score
It looks like the sides are as bevelled / rounded as a strat's. They seem comfortable. I bet they don't dig into your ribs or chest, contrary to an Epi SG. I tried one once and I found it hard to play seated because of that.

The salesperson told me that he remembered Gibson's SGs having less pointy edges and that he recalled they were more comfortable but he didn't have one to try out that day, so I haven't compared them.

That Wilshire seems closer to a strat.

BGood

Reaction score
Fitted Dunlop Dual-Design straplocks on my Wilshire P90
that means it's a keeper.
Tomorrow I will try my luck with filing the sharp fretends....

If frets are not protruding, their ends are just a little sharp, the simple and fast solution is to go at the fret ends at 45° with a light grit foam sanding block, using the side of the block. A two minute job.

If you're no so sure, try it on your Squier first.

If the sandpaper touches the fretboard/binding while doing it, it will feel like you rolled the fretboard. One stone, two birds.

817GB0Wu5EL._AC_SL1024_.jpg

Latest posts